IGNORED

Re: New battery brand - Uh Oh

Skywagon

Well after reading the Battery Heath check thread, I've decided to replace my battery. It may run longer but after 4 years I think I'm pretty satisfied with its longevity and will de-risk the upcoming heat season of Houston by replacing it.

The battery on the 14 Wet RT is an unusual size and the only direct size replacement I've been able to find is:

https://www.batterymart.com/p-YTX20CH-BS-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html

No Odyssey batteries fit. Any reason I shouldn't order this one? It meets or exceeds the ratings of the factory BMW battery.

Thanks. and Happy Easter

Edited by Skywagon
Bill_Walker

Probably made by Johnson Controls, Exide, or East Penn. They make most of the aftermarket batteries in the US, sold under a bunch of different brand names. Although, interestingly enough, I just tried the battery finders at the latter two (JC doesn't have one), and neither lists the R1200RT.

Last year about this time I looked around and found the choices quite thin as well. I even hunted the UPS and wheel chair battery markets and got zilch.

The available choices will likely be just fine for service life, but may no longer have the $50 choice by going through the alternate market channels like one can with the previous battery used.

Well I guess BMW killed off one sure to churn topic with the new battery size they specified in the K52. At least we still have tires to chase our tails about :grin:

Bill_Walker
https://www.techbatterysolutions.com/Deka-ETX20L-Battery-p/etx20l.htm

Deka(East Penn) here,you need to see if specs match up and terminal position is the same.

That site has other 20 amp batteries,so look around.

I bought my GSA battery from them,recommended!

Additional 5 percent discount pops up,if you provide email address

JR356

As mentioned, the Deka (East Penn) battery finder doesn't show an application for the wethead RT. GS, yeah. RT, no.

True,they did not show one for the LC GS/GSA when I was looking,but by comparing size and specs,I found what I needed for my ‘14.

JR356

The battery on the 14 Wet RT is an unusual size ...

BMWs are made in Germany and in Germany this is not an "unusual" size.

New Battery arrived today from Battery Mart....opened it up to put on charger...all good EXCEPT no hardware - nuts and bolts. Reached out to Battery Mart and they will send new hardware. Darn it was going to change out tomorrow. I realize I could use old hardware but will wait for new.

That's the battery I bought in 2016. Still works when the ice isn't present. It is 2ah bigger than the stock battery, costs less, and fits perfectly.

going to install the new battery tonight. Anything to do other than TPS re-learn?

In the manual it tells you to switch off the alarm before disconnecting the battery.

On installation of the battery, the only thing you need to do is reset the clock time and date.

going to install the new battery tonight. Anything to do other than TPS re-learn?

Morning Skywagon

As mentioned no TPS relearn on your bike.

If your original battery has a thermo insulator under & around it make sure to transfer that insulation to the new battery to protect the battery from excessive heat build up.

After installation check the date showing, if that is incorrect it needs to be reset to be correct.

Sorry Jay, need to clarify. Are you saying that the Sat Nav updated the bikes time and date clock?

Yes, NAV V updates the bike's clock. Handles daylight savings time as well as time zone changes.

The date and time can come from the Nav, works great no worries when the time changes or when crossing time zones.

Jay

Afternoon Jay

That is not the part that matters, the part that matters is; does the Nav system update the date in the bike's computers for the service due date? (I don't know one or the other on this one).

The date and time can come from the Nav, works great no worries when the time changes or when crossing time zones.

Jay

Afternoon Jay

That is not the part that matters, the part that matters is; does the Nav system update the date in the bike's computers for the service due date? (I don't know one or the other on this one).

Hi D.R.

I wasn't clear enough but yes the GPS date/time will update the bikes see page 51 in manual.

Jay

I have a Nav VI, and had a Nav V before that. The GPS certainly updates the date/time on the bike's display. I'm assuming if the bike's display is updated (I'm not talking about the display on the Nav itself), then the bike's computers are too?

Edited by marcopolo

Jay

Afternoon Jay

Hi D.R.

Sorry I wasn't clear, yes the bike can display the Date/Time from the GPS see page 51 of the manual "GPS time: Accept GPS time and GPS date from the built-in navigation system (On), (Off)"

Jay

Jay

Afternoon Jay

Hi D.R.

I wasn't clear enough but yes the GPS date/time will update the bikes see page 51 in manual.

Jay

Afternoon Jay

My manual seems to have the info on page 59. But it only address the dash displayed date (at least as far as I can tell). I can't find anything on updating or renewing the computer stored service due date. I really don't know on the wethead how far the dash shown date interfaces with the computer stored service date (it very well might, I just can't confirm or deny that).

On the older 1200RT's, if the battery was replaced quickly they didn't lose the service due date but if the battery was disconnected for a longer period they could lose the service due date (some did every time, some didn't at all, & some could once in a while. My BMW wethead service manual partially address it as a connection to the dealer computer for date correction is suggested but that doesn't outright mean the service data was lost.

Jay

Afternoon Jay

Hi D.R.

Jay

Afternoon Jay

My manual seems to have the info on page 59. But it only address the dash displayed date (at least as far as I can tell). I can't find anything on updating or renewing the computer stored service due date. I really don't know on the wethead how far the dash shown date interfaces with the computer stored service date (it very well might, I just can't confirm or deny that).I recently replaced my battery, the service dates were lost. I guess it works similarly as describe below but I don't know for sure. One other time the Dealership removed my battery again my service date were lost.

On the older 1200RT's, if the battery was replaced quickly they didn't lose the service due date but if the battery was disconnected for a longer period they could lose the service due date (some did every time, some didn't at all, & some could once in a while. My BMW wethead service manual partially address it as a connection to the dealer computer for date correction is suggested but that doesn't outright mean the service data was lost.

Jay aabove in Green