IGNORED

Rough idle after dealer service

speedybee

My 2009 RT was just serviced at the dealer. After picking it up and riding home the idle seems rough and the windshield vibrates a lot at idle. Otherwise it is running well. The service included: fuel strip, spark plug replacement, air filter, valve adjustment, and fluid changes.

Getting it back to the dealer is a big hassle. Where should I start if I want to try to find the cause of the idle roughness?

I would look at the vacuum port on each throttle body (behind each cylinder). On my 2006 RT, the vacuum port is on the top of the throttle body, a small silver tube about 1" long angled back at about a 45 degree angle. Again on my 2006, there should be a black rubber cap on the right side and a black hose on the left side. I had the left side hose left off during a dealer service once. Same symptoms, would barely idle. Try looking between the throttle body and the lower body work for the silver tube and if the rubber cap or hose are in place.

th_2006%20-%202009%20R1200RT%20throttle%20body.png

Check out item 9 which is the rubber cap that covers the vacuum port.

Edited by Buckster

You need to call them . Hassle or not, they should send a tech out or have the bike towed in.

If that's all there is to the story.

Check that the throttle cable on the right hand side throttle body is correctly seated in it's holder- it is very easy to dislodge and will give symptoms the same as yours

My 2009 RT was just serviced at the dealer. After picking it up and riding home the idle seems rough and the windshield vibrates a lot at idle. Otherwise it is running well. The service included: fuel strip, spark plug replacement, air filter, valve adjustment, and fluid changes.

Getting it back to the dealer is a big hassle. Where should I start if I want to try to find the cause of the idle roughness?

Morning speedybee

If it is otherwise running well then maybe give it a few local rides before doing anything. It's possible the dealer cleared the fueling computer adaptives so it needs to re-learn the idle.

If it doesn't clear up in a couple of rides then you will have to dig into it but that won't easy to do yourself. Without a GS-911 to check the systems & check for codes it is a big guessing game.

It would be a different story if it didn't run good but the running good observation doesn't give us much to look at for a rough idle.

First suggestion is to call the dealer back & see what THEY have to say. At least get them involved in helping with a solution (you paid big money for the service so they owe you a qualified response).

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I could not find any vacuum leaks and the throttle cable seems fine. I did call the dealer too and I almost choked when the mechanic said "they all do that". I took it for an hour long ride today. For whatever reason, the idle does not seem as rough now. The RPMs still jump around maybe 50 to 100 at idle. Is this within the normal range?

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I could not find any vacuum leaks and the throttle cable seems fine. I did call the dealer too and I almost choked when the mechanic said "they all do that". I took it for an hour long ride today. For whatever reason, the idle does not seem as rough now. The RPMs still jump around maybe 50 to 100 at idle. Is this within the normal range?

Evening speedybee

The idle RPM needs to wander a bit as there is no load on the engine with the clutch lever pulled in & clutch disengaged. If the Idle RPM was programed down to a very tight window then the idle RPMs would actually surge up & down as the idle steppers couldn't keep up so would undershoot/overshoot/undershoot/overshoot/etc as they tried to hit & hold a tight control mark.

If your idle RPM is JUMPING around then you might have an issue but if they are just kind of floating around within a 50-100 RPM window then probably normal.