IGNORED

Gortex jacket recommendation

Bodhi65

I'm ready to upgrade my jacket/pants from my old reliable fieldsheer high viz to a Klim, Aerostich, bmw, etc setup. Is gortex really the way to go for 3-4season ridding. I do want to keep a hi viz style.

I want ultimate protection but also convenience so I don't have to put on another rainsuit unless I'm in a sunami in which case I should not be riding.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I do 10k a year, sport touring, 2016 BMW rt, a couple track days a year, no off roading other than a Vermont gravel road here and there.

Thanks,

Alan

I just today bought the new(ish) BMW EnduroGuard jacket and pants. Up to this point I was wearing a BMW Rallye jacket and pants. I was interested in moving to a suit where I didn't have to put on rain gear. Of course, the question then becomes how hot it will be in warm weather. Guess I'll find out. I initially tried to buy the new Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants. Like the EnduroGuard, it's a three-layer laminate shell. Try as I might, however, I could not get the right fit with the Klim. A Large jacket was too big, and a Medium was a bit too tight around the hips, once I put it on over the Klim pants, and sat on my bike. That's when I oved back to considering BMW. After trying on several sizes, I settled on size 50 Euro for both the jacket, and pants, the same size as my Rallye gear. By the way, I'm 5'8", and weigh 170 lbs. One of the things you'll will notice with any of these types of suits is how stiff the material is. YOu definitely need to try the stuff on, and actually sit on your bike. The other advantage with the BMW suit was that I had a 20%-off BMW apparel coupon from the D.C. bike show, so that saved me a few bucks, as compared to the Klim stuff (they're all expensive, Klim a little more so than the BMW (Badlands Pro vs. EnduroGuard)). The Badlands Pro has five colour choices, including hi-viz. The EnduroGurad has only two choices (black and light grey) for the jacket, and just black for the pants. I got a grey jacket, and obviously black pants.

Edited by marcopolo

Best bang for the buck .

First Gear Kilimanjaro .

3/4 length , avail in tall and big sizes, Hyper-Tex membrane.

(GoreTex patent ran out years ago) YKK zippers, lots of pockets, vents, warm liner you'll seldom use.

I'm on my 5-6th i think since 1999.

(I get bored with the colors and change)

Summer , get a vented First Gear of your choice .

LittleBriar

I have a Klim Latitude jacket. I love it. It is available in Hi-Viz colors. There's plenty of zippered vents for warmer weather but it gets uncomfortable above 90 F if you're not moving. I've been through many rainstorms and it keeps me dry. I also have a 2016 RT and the combination of the fairing and jacket keeps me perfectly dry all the time. Lots of pockets and compartments to store things.

I have the Klim Badlands, new edition. It is heavy and can be hot. I have ridden all over the USA with this jacket. It works. Good protection and waterproof.

I also have a Klim Badlands Jacket and pants as the Latitude did not fit my long torso. I agree it is heavy but using the built in kidney belt takes all that weight off of your shoulders. Great armor and completely waterproof. The downside is that it can be warm in the summer. I find it to be fine up to around 85, then it starts to get warm as the temperature goes up. For summers here in GA I use a Cycleport mesh jacket and pants.

Best bang for the buck .

First Gear Kilimanjaro .

(GoreTex patent ran out years ago) YKK zippers, lots of pockets, vents, warm liner you'll seldom use.

Have to agree. I'm on my 3rd Kiliminjaro. Amazing jacket, great features. Incredible support and a fair price. AND it looks good too.

I do a daily 120 mile commute (if Spring ever comes to MoTown) and I only wear rain pants when it starts pouring. So far, I've stayed dry.

RPG

Lone_RT_rider
Best bang for the buck .

First Gear Kilimanjaro .

Have to agree. I'm on my 3rd Kiliminjaro. Amazing jacket, great features. Incredible support and a fair price. AND it looks good too.

I do a daily 120 mile commute (if Spring ever comes to MoTown) and I only wear rain pants when it starts pouring. So far, I've stayed dry.

RPG

My first good jacket when I purchased my 1999 R1100RT was a Kilimanjaro. I had that jacket for 5 years and put close to 70K miles on it. It was such a great jacket, I recently recommended it to a new rider I know here at work. He was leery at first about spending the extra cash as his only reference point was the stuff he sees at Cycle Gear (He was literally in shock when I told him what my Stitch costs). :) Now he's glad he spent the 400 bones for it.

If any of you know any entry level riders that are looking for a decent jacket for the cash, steer them towards the Firstgear Kilimanjaro. It's about $150 more than the most expensive Cycle Gear brand they have in house, but just a great jacket for the money.

Shawn

Edited by Lone_RT_rider

I've used the Darien by Aerostich for over 20 years. I'm only a few years into my second pair. Aerostich has great customer service and they have the ability to repair or refurbish most any minor needs like zippers, snaps, velcro, pads.

The jacket vents are adjustable and work very well. What I like very much is NEVER having to pack rain gear or have to stop in poor locations and wrestle with putting rain gear on the side of the road/freeway.

http://www.aerostich.com/darien-jacket.html The jacket

http://www.aerostich.com/darien-pants.html The pants

In my book, the only regret you will have, if you go with the 'stich, is that you'll wish you could ride enough to wear the thing out... inside of a decade.

I have the same story first jacket was Firstgear Kilimanjaro. again was about 5 years for me as well. then purchased motoport, then my stitch. one of my primary reasons for Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket was it came in tall size. which I needed.

I have owned the Klim Blade for over a year now and could not be happier. Over 56 k miles in a year and with temps from 17F(with gerbing liner under) to 99 F. I have stayed completely dry. I hate bulk....so this works for me.

Ron

Just to throw a spanner in the works- I've gone away from membranes and ride all year in a fully ventilated summer suit with varying base layers and a Flexothane rain combo from Damen Leathers (NL) on top. Works brilliantly for a fraction of the Gore price, and keeps the rain, wind and dirt fully out of the suit. Worth a look as a viable alternative.

Doug_Baliko

I have had a Klim Latitude for several years now. I find it to be a great 3 + season jacket. It's a little warm for Texas summers, but other than that I can wear it anywhere. It has very nice venting, and I have been in monsoons and never gotten a group of water inside. I have had a lot of jackets, and while Klim is on the expensive side, you get what you pay for.

Doug

Edited by Doug_Baliko