IGNORED

Black dash screws

Dave P

Really trivial topic here, but I'd like to find some black non rusting fasteners for attaching my dash panel on my 1100RT. I've painted the stainless ones but you practically look at them and the paint chips off. Off the shelf black ones rust in about a month. Any ideas? Thanks, dave

The factory ones for the 1100 were/are black.

Aftermarket sells kits of polished screws normally for removal with Allen wrench, and the 1150's came with natural finish stainless with Torx heads.

My factory 02 1150RT came with the black headed screws. I quickly changed to stainless after removing the Tupperware a few times.

Stainless is the only way to go for rusting fasteners. May not be stock, but what do you want, rust or clean fasteners. You can also metal etch the top of the steel screws prime and repaint. That might work for a longer period. But for a good fix SS is the way to gol

How about a black anodize coating? anyone have a source for SS screws in a black anodize? Dave

SS is not ideal for anodising. On Aluminium it yields a very durable finish. Not so, on SS.

If you really are that desperate for black, I'd suggest bead blasting the surface to be painted, then a good thin primer and topcoat. Of course, you then need to be careful when installing and removing because your tools may damage them.