IGNORED

R1150RT Choke not stay up

Redman

2002 R1150RT

THe choke (okay, I know maybe not really a "choke") (the icon seems to look like one) doesn't stay all the way up. If let loose will fall back about half way.

On cold mornings (Well, San Diego cold, 50 degreesF) I do need to choke it for a while to keep it running. But it falls back to about half way, and it needs to be more than that, so have to hold it up for a while.

Is that normal for it to fall back to about half position? Or is there some tension adjustment somewhere?

I suppose it is intended for full choke only to get started, but I seem to need more choke to keep it running.

Same model year, somewhat the same issue, I stopped giving a damn about it years ago. I just keep the throttle a little open for the first few blocks.

When I find myself in Cold Country, I just keep the throttle open for a few miles more.

I still think that Bowdoin Box thing is a PITA. Others wiser than I have disagreed. So I just keep the throttle open.

That's how it's supposed to work. It will stay in the "half" position, but you have to hold it in the "full" position.

+1 to what Jim says.

That doesn't mean the bike is fine. It may well need a TB balance and check cable lengths.

However, in terms of the fast idle lever operation; that is operating as designed.

2002 R1150RT

THe choke (okay, I know maybe not really a "choke") (the icon seems to look like one) doesn't stay all the way up. If let loose will fall back about half way.

On cold mornings (Well, San Diego cold, 50 degreesF) I do need to choke it for a while to keep it running. But it falls back to about half way, and it needs to be more than that, so have to hold it up for a while.

Is that normal for it to fall back to about half position? Or is there some tension adjustment somewhere?

I suppose it is intended for full choke only to get started, but I seem to need more choke to keep it running.

Morning Redman

As you noted, it is ONLY a fast idle lever even though BMW saw fit to call it a choke.

So that also means that you aren't really choking it to start or keep it running (the fueling injection system does all the starting & fueling control) you are JUST holding the idle high enough to keep the engine running (exact same as holding the twist grip twisted a little).

A LOT of the old BMW boxers needed the fast idle lever (choke lever) held up for a few seconds after cold start to keep the engine running until it stabilizes.

As mentioned above the choke lever has a spring loaded detent to hold the lever at about 1/2 setting & it needs to be manually held all the way up for full fast idle (as soon as you release the lever it will snaps back to 1/2 applied).

If you don't like manually holding the lever up for a few seconds then you can adjust the choke cable adjuster to do that for you but then you need to very vigilant to not walk away from the bike with the choke lever set (on) or you can burn the bike's plastic up when the high idle stabilizes & the higher-held RPM's come up & the exhaust pipes turn orange & glow.

If you want to raise your fast idle setting to raise the fast idle at the 1/2-on notch then look in the fast idle cable up near the lever, you should find a rubber boot. Just slide that rubber boot down the cable until you expose the cable adjuster under it. Adjust that cable adjuster to lengthen the cable outer cable cover until the engine will stay running cold with the choke (fast idle lever) in the middle (detent) positon.

• 2 weeks later...

When I installed an AF-Xied all that cold-natured crap went away on both the '99R1100RT and '99 R1100S. Plus they both run soooo much better at all temps and throttles.

Just a satisfied customer.