Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1009330 - 04/11/18 01:13 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: dirtrider]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Originally Posted by Ponch

Ok. Took the female connector off. No cracks that I can see. Came off real easy and the sealant seemed to come off easy too. Some sort of non hardening white stuff. The oring May have the faintest of marks. I’ll replace it, but what kind of sealant to use on the female connector.

Morning Ponch

Good question on sealant.

I presume that when you say female connector you are referring to the connector that screws into the raised boss that has the ring pressed on? (if not then disregard the below)

If you removed the fitting from the raised boss with the ring on it then you have to be VERY CAREFUL in how you reinstall it. That is basically a non removable part due to the ease of cracking the plastic boss at reassembly. If that fitting is overtightened, even a little bit, that can crack the plastic boss (even with the ring on it), but if it isn't tightened enough then it can leak. (there is no torque suggestion so it is a touchy-feely type thing).

To complicate it even more, if a PTFE or slick type thread sealant is used that makes it even easier to crack the plastic boss as those are a bit of a thread lubricant.

That white compound you are seeing is probably a PTFE type sealant (I don't think it is factory).

My personal fuel fitting sealant of choice is LocTite 1527514 Thread Sealant with PTFE but, as mentioned, you have to be ultra careful if using that type of sealant.

Do not use any type of Teflon tape as that definitely expands the lower fitting, also, pieces of the Teflon tape can get cut by the threads & end up in a fuel injector nozzle.

The down side to using a PTFE or Teflon based sealer is IF the boss is currently cracked then the sealer will temporarily seal the cracks so it will show leak free for a while only to start leaking if/when the sealer washes out of the cracks. (in finding white sealant as disassembly that might have been your leak problem)

CAUTION: DO NOT screw that fitting in any farther or any tighter than needed to be leak free or you could easily crack that plastic boss.

Personally, I would see if BMW will address the leak if it isn't just a fitting "O" ring leaking. If the leak is at the fitting to plastic boss then it s-h-o-u-l-d be covered by the BMW recall. If you mess with it too much then BMW might just blame you & not their poor design.

If that bike were mine I would first call my BMW dealer & explain the fuel leak, leaking area, & recall commitment. Depending on what they say & how receptive they are to addressing the issue (I assume they should warranty it). I would then reinstall the fitting using just the sealer that was there, then install a new "O" ring. If it still leaks then have BMW address the recall related safety issue.

Well, I ordered the o rings from beemer boneyard but I wiped all the sealant off the female adapter and the boss so I could see the condition of the boss. It could very well be that the sealant failed. It came off easy, what there was of it. I was thinking of replacing the wick disconnects with metal ones. Bad idea? I hope to have the o rings by Saturday, Monday at the latest.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1009331 - 04/11/18 01:26 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio

Well, I ordered the o rings from beemer boneyard but I wiped all the sealant off the female adapter and the boss so I could see the condition of the boss.

It could very well be that the sealant failed. It came off easy, what there was of it.

I was thinking of replacing the wick disconnects with metal ones. Bad idea?

I hope to have the o rings by Saturday, Monday at the latest.

Morning Ponch

It might be a bad idea if you ever decide to get BMW involved in a recall replacement.

Replacing the factory fitting that screws into that plastic boss is something that I have always discouraged due to the ease of cracking that plastic boss.

That fitting to boss interface is one of the worst fuel system designs that I have seen (& I have seen & worked on pretty bad designs in the auto industry). That quick disconnect fitting SHOULD HAVE been designed using a straight thread with the sealing interface being a captured "O" ring between the fitting base & the top of the plastic boss.

Have you tried calling your BMW dealer about it leaking to see if they will replace the pump assembly (Most good dealers probably would).

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1009333 - 04/11/18 01:35 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: dirtrider]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ

Well, I ordered the o rings from beemer boneyard but I wiped all the sealant off the female adapter and the boss so I could see the condition of the boss.

It could very well be that the sealant failed. It came off easy, what there was of it.

Morning Ponch

It might be a bad idea if you ever decide to get BMW involved in a recall replacement.

Replacing the factory fitting that screws into that plastic boss is something that I have always discouraged due to the ease of cracking that plastic boss.

That fitting to boss interface is one of the worst fuel system designs that I have seen (& I have seen & worked on pretty bad designs in the auto industry). That quick disconnect fitting SHOULD HAVE been designed using a straight thread with the sealing interface being a captured "O" ring between the fitting base & the top of the plastic boss.

Have you tried calling your BMW dealer about it leaking to see if they will replace the pump assembly (Most good dealers probably would).

Morning Ponch

No I didn’t. I dealer that did the recall moved and changed names(same owners) and I haven’t been back. I just wonder if they’d balk since I disassembled things to inspect it.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1009336 - 04/11/18 02:00 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio

No I didn’t. I dealer that did the recall moved and changed names(same owners) and I haven’t been back. I just wonder if they’d balk since I disassembled things to inspect it.
[/quote]

Morning Ponch

Personally, I would make the call just to see what they have to say (might just surprise you).

If the dealer is receptive to handling it under the recall campaign then I would reassemble it as close-looking to production as possible then take it to the dealer.

If they don't fight you about repairing it then I doubt they would give you much hassle about you needing to clean it up to inspect that area (I wouldn't outright admit that I had it apart though).

Again, my suggestion is to start with a dealer call then work from there.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1009352 - 04/11/18 05:49 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
Dann Offline
Dann  Offline

Laval,, QC, Canada
I don't know if this is relevant to your issue but I had the fuel pump recall done a couple of years ago.
All they did at the time was put a reinforcement ring.

Last year after I reassembled the bike following my clutch replacement, my fuel pump started leaking.
I went to a different dealer than the one who did the original recall (Not a BMW dealer anymore) and they replaced the entire pump on BMW dime.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
#1009354 - 04/11/18 06:05 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Dann]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Originally Posted by Dann
I don't know if this is relevant to your issue but I had the fuel pump recall done a couple of years ago.
All they did at the time was put a reinforcement ring.

Last year after I reassembled the bike following my clutch replacement, my fuel pump started leaking.
I went to a different dealer than the one who did the original recall (Not a BMW dealer anymore) and they replaced the entire pump on BMW dime.

I am waiting for a call back from the dealer that did the recall work. There is another dealer, but I wasn't impressed with their service. They try to do things too quickly and don't always reassemble things right. Outside of that, I'd have to go 100 miles away.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1009497 - 04/13/18 09:46 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
No call back from ridenow chandler. Sent a follow up email and a salesman emailed me back, even though my email outlined my predicament. I reiterated the problem and he said he'd forward it to the service department. No contact at all. I emailed the salesman back, no reply. My guess is that they are "too" busy or could care less. At this point, I don't know. I won't go to GOAZ as they did a recall service on it and they were in such a rush that the tech didn't put everything back right and I had to take the panel off and route the hoses/wiring right. At that point I went to Victory BMW for anything warranty/recall related and they were fine, but they moved to a new location since and who knows who works there or how it's run anymore. At this point, I'll fix it myself. Worst thing is that I'll have to get a new fuel pump. Sometimes I wonder if people that work in service related industries reflect on their actions with customers so as to keep business. Just something I've noticed over the last 5 or so years. No one seems to care anymore. That said, like the commercial, "Make it Progesso or make it yourself".

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1009515 - 04/14/18 02:31 AM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Jerry Duke]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Originally Posted by Jerry Duke
Mine did the same thing and the silver ring update had already been made. Mike Pedigo in Valdosta, GA replaced the plastic male part with a metal part and used some super sealant glue.
You can call him for more info 2294126578

The metal version comes with Gasoila, which is some sort of pfte sealant. It came with instructions which seem to be similar to the loctite sealant. Basically let it set for at least 24hrs after application and I will.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1009548 - 04/14/18 10:30 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Well, it's in. The instructions say to tighten it 1/2-1 turn after hand tight and I found 1/4 turn about right as I was afraid to overdo it and my hand tight may be tighter than the average bear can do. I'll see tomorrow afternoon if I was successful, at least initially.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1009633 - 04/16/18 03:37 AM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Started it, no leaks. We'll see how it does.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3