Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1009780 - 04/17/18 09:02 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
Luis RT12 Offline
Just Joined
Luis RT12  Offline
Just Joined

Queretaro, Mexico
Hi everyone,

I got my 2006 RT a couple of years ago, coming from just one owner and currently with little under 68K miles on the odo, this guy did all the maintenances on record and the bike had no major problems, until a month ago that I started the bike and smelled/saw a faint dripping of fuel on the left side, took all the tapper ware off and yes indeed, the boss connector was leaking right at its base.

Luckily for me, I never miss reading this great site and recalled seeing something about deffective pumps and having a re-call issued by BMW, I sent an e-mail to corporate BMW here in Mexico and also I kept on copy my local dealer , I also included the VIN number in my communication, the local guys responded the next day indicating that after checking the VIN number the records showed that the pump leak was done (all they did was putting the reinforced metal ring around the base of the boss), nevertheless I responded back saying that I could get that the re-call was done, but it was innefective as I was still having the same leaking issue, they requested me to bring the bike to their shop to verify the condition and see what they could do.... of course towing the bike at my expense.

The dealer it's located like 10 miles from my house, so I wrapped the hole top of the pump assembly with plenty of zip ties and fabric rags, my bike looked like one of those bikes used in the Mad Max films....but I made it safe with these guys.

They confirmed 3 days later after I dropped my bike (last week) that BMW would honor the re-call and they would install a new pump free of charge, sweet!!! I should have my bike back early next week.

Here is a question I have, I think the new pump should have been revised and considered some engineering made in order to avoid this issue by now, should I still try to go and reinforce this area with the ring that Bemmer Bone Yard sells? or should I just leave unmolested this new pump and hope that will last ...like forever?

Thank you all for your wisdom and look forward to your comments and suggestions.

I apologize in advance for my rudimentary English..
Saludos!!

#1009782 - 04/17/18 09:26 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Luis RT12]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted by Luis RT12
Hi everyone,

I got my 2006 RT a couple of years ago, coming from just one owner and currently with little under 68K miles on the odo, this guy did all the maintenances on record and the bike had no major problems, until a month ago that I started the bike and smelled/saw a faint dripping of fuel on the left side, took all the tapper ware off and yes indeed, the boss connector was leaking right at its base.

Luckily for me, I never miss reading this great site and recalled seeing something about deffective pumps and having a re-call issued by BMW, I sent an e-mail to corporate BMW here in Mexico and also I kept on copy my local dealer , I also included the VIN number in my communication, the local guys responded the next day indicating that after checking the VIN number the records showed that the pump leak was done (all they did was putting the reinforced metal ring around the base of the boss), nevertheless I responded back saying that I could get that the re-call was done, but it was innefective as I was still having the same leaking issue, they requested me to bring the bike to their shop to verify the condition and see what they could do.... of course towing the bike at my expense.

The dealer it's located like 10 miles from my house, so I wrapped the hole top of the pump assembly with plenty of zip ties and fabric rags, my bike looked like one of those bikes used in the Mad Max films....but I made it safe with these guys.

They confirmed 3 days later after I dropped my bike (last week) that BMW would honor the re-call and they would install a new pump free of charge, sweet!!! I should have my bike back early next week.

Here is a question I have, I think the new pump should have been revised and considered some engineering made in order to avoid this issue by now, should I still try to go and reinforce this area with the ring that Bemmer Bone Yard sells? or should I just leave unmolested this new pump and hope that will last ...like forever?

Thank you all for your wisdom and look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Saludos!!

Evening Luis RT12

Your new (replacement) pump should already be the updated pump. The updated pump is built with the steel reinforcement ring already added. Adding the reinforcement ring BEFORE the fitting is screwed in prevents the boss from cracking so you should be good-to-go.

I haven't heard of any of the replacement pumps leaking due to a cracked fitting boss.

The leaking problem was from originally screwing the tapered fitting into the unsupported plastic boss, that cracked the unsupported boss, THEN, a lot of dealers just installed the recall reinforcement ring over the cracks only to have fitting-to-boss area start leaking at a later time.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#1009787 - 04/17/18 10:05 PM Re: Fuel leak [Re: dirtrider]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Hi everyone,

Saludos!!

Evening Luis RT12

Your new (replacement) pump should already be the updated pump. The updated pump is built with the steel reinforcement ring already added. Adding the reinforcement ring BEFORE the fitting is screwed in prevents the boss from cracking so you should be good-to-go.

I haven't heard of any of the replacement pumps leaking due to a cracked fitting boss.

The leaking problem was from originally screwing the tapered fitting into the unsupported plastic boss, that cracked the unsupported boss, THEN, a lot of dealers just installed the recall reinforcement ring over the cracks only to have fitting-to-boss area start leaking at a later time.

Originally Posted by dirtrider
Hi everyone,

Saludos!!

Evening Luis RT12

I sent them my VIN info and they did the recall work, but never called me back and I never got a second email back. The first went to a salesman and he said he'd forward it. Right. After not hearing for several days, I responded again, explaining the situation in more detail and reminding him of liability, but they don't care. Why, IDK. Maybe they are busy with bike week here, maybe they think I am a crank, maybe they don't want to bother with something that they might end up owning in a sense. Maybe they have different management and shit rolls down hill. Whatever the case, I'll never go there again for anything, but in the scheme of things, it makes little difference I suppose, but I won't reward incompetence, indifference or intransigence.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
#1014376 - 07/12/18 04:10 AM Re: Fuel leak [Re: Ponch]  
upfisk Offline
upfisk  Offline

near Yarnell, Arizona
Started our 2 RTs this spring and my '09 R1200RT was leaking. We had the fuel pump recall fix done to both bikes in '14. Gary's bike had enough cracks that he got the new fuel pump installed. Mine had one minor crack and got the reinforcing ring. When mine was started gas was dripping at a fast rate. We pulled off the upper fairing piece and the pump was spraying gas 4-5" out from just above the reinforcing ring. Called GOAZ Peoria and told them I had a warranty issue, They installed a new fuel pump with no quibbling. The service guys told us my bike was about the 3rd bike in over a couple months. Apparently, the reinforcing ring was not a permanent fix.

'74 R90/6 hers
'07 R1200RT his
'09 R1200RT hers
#1015052 - 07/22/18 04:25 AM Re: Fuel leak [Re: upfisk]  
Ponch Offline
Ponch  Offline

Fountain Hills AZ
Originally Posted by upfisk
Started our 2 RTs this spring and my '09 R1200RT was leaking. We had the fuel pump recall fix done to both bikes in '14. Gary's bike had enough cracks that he got the new fuel pump installed. Mine had one minor crack and got the reinforcing ring. When mine was started gas was dripping at a fast rate. We pulled off the upper fairing piece and the pump was spraying gas 4-5" out from just above the reinforcing ring. Called GOAZ Peoria and told them I had a warranty issue, They installed a new fuel pump with no quibbling. The service guys told us my bike was about the 3rd bike in over a couple months. Apparently, the reinforcing ring was not a permanent fix.

The dealer I used for the original repair was Victory BMW now RideNow Chandler or Euro. I used GOAZ in Scottsdale for warranty work once and while I appreciate that they washed my bike, they didn't put it together right. My guess is the mechanic was in a rush because of flat rate. The only other choice dealer in in Tucson. Just not impressed with the two closest dealers to me.

Ponch
2009 R1200RT
My Motorrad
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3