IGNORED

So I am going to try lighter touring option

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

Having gone through most of the BMW touring bikes minus that K1600* series, I am trying to work my way back into moderate distance rides. My issue has always been inseam challenges (29.5/30) and weight of bikes. RTs are just too tall in general combined with their higher up weight to the point I found my previous K1300GT to be easier to manage. K16... well ... no.

So I am going to take a swing at it with a F800GT. Dealer had a killer deal with BMW incentives on a new 2016, the price was like buying used. They even agreed to sell hard bags at cost so that made it even sweeter. Figure they know they will get me back within a year or two anyway. So far work and weather have kept me under 500 miles total on the bike. However I am very surprised at its get up and go. Very light weight compared to other options. Will probably change the windscreen to MadStad as people on F800 forums recommend. Needs a bit of extra lighting to improve visibility to cars but that is a BMW trait.

F800GT pics

tsWiY3T.jpg

Nice.

That was going to be our option when downsizing began.

We were snug, 2 up, but not an issue.

Plenty of get up and go.

Enjoy.

Congrats. Great looking bike that looks likes it's moving, even when parked.

:grin:

The expandable hard cases can hold a LOT of stuff! Plenty of zip and it looks like a very low seat height.

Let us know your impressions after you two get well acquainted.

Lone_RT_rider
Looks nice. Let us know how is does with longer distances.

He lives about 2 hours from some of the best riding in the world. He won't have to endure too much to have a blast with that bike.

Congrats on the new bike!

Shawn

That was going too be my option when the time comes to downsize. I really like it! Every time I go to my dealer I sit on one and for me with some risers and different shield it may work well. And yes my dealer too has had some killer deals on these.

Good luck and hope it keeps you riding for many many more years!

I love the white.Great color choice. Belt drive and plenty of power. Almost all of my touring is one up and this would be the perfect bike for that. Looks to be a bit more sport than tour and a lot of fun. Congrats.

Nice looking bike, I especially like the white. I have ridden the R, ST and GT F800s and they all are great little bikes and sure don't lack for power. I remember out touring with my wife on our 1200LT when we saw a headlight in the mirror growing larger by the minute. In just a few moments a couple on a K75RT passed us with ease. I have long said that BMW is missing the boat by not making an F800RT. Granted it would be predominately for one up touring, but it sure would do fine 2 up if the rider/passenger were comfortable on it. My wife has hung up her helmet for good so now I'm solo, in not many years from now, a F800RT would be right up my alley.

Bill_Walker

Nice bike! I had one as a service loaner and had a lot of fun with it. The power-to-weight ratio felt about the same as my 1150RT, but the bike was a lot lighter and easier to handle. I might have gotten one instead of my R1200RT if I could have figured out where I was going to mount my V1 so I could see it.

In addition moving to the 850 would add a bit more power and it is my understanding the new 850 version will have ride by wire which gives hope for the addition of cruise control .

On my way to Salt Lake last summer I met a couple touring on a 800gt. Met them in Utah and I believe they were from Ohio!

I too like the white

Dennis Andress

We have one as a third bike... Handy little thing... I love the engine, especially after installing an AF-XIED

Edited by Dennis Andress
fourteenfour

As for local rides, the nice part is I can go North towards Tennessee in short order, West into Northern Alabama, or East into Northern Georgia. Many people completely ignore West of I75 but there is very good riding out that way and back roads up through Rome to Chickamauga is a great ride. (NW Alabama has that "mini Grand Canyon" park whose actual name escapes me at this moment)

Congrats on the new bike! I test rode one of these a couple years ago, just for fun. I had no intention of buying one. The test ride changed all that. You'll get a lot of compliments on it. I've had more complete strangers come up to me and compliment me on my white F800GT, than all my previous bikes combined.

As for using it as a long distance ride...I did about 7600 miles on two road trips last summer and never once did I wish for a different bike. And there were a couple days of hard riding where we were trying to put the boring miles behind us to spend time in the fun stuff later.

The Madstad windshield is perfect for the bike. I find the wind management is wonderful behind mine. Smooth flowing air. No buffeting or back pressure. And it works really well in strong headwinds or side winds. Mine also has some bar risers and lowered foot pegs. You may want to go that route eventually too.

Chris

I've done two Edelweiss tours on an F800GS (street versions) (Tuscany & Baha Mexico). And am about 99% sure that when it comes time to consolidate my three motorcycles to one, it will be the F800GS.

Johnny J

Francis, someone else with experience may answer this, but I'll give it a try too.

The belt seems to be very reliable. The biggest objection is the replacement cost. It's up around $500. If the F850GT comes out, we expect the cost to go down as it did when the ST was replaced by the GT. If the drive belt changes, the cost will probably go down to about $100.

I'm at 24,000 miles now. BMW maintenance recommendations call for the belt being replaced now. I expect it to last till at least 35,000 miles. If you're not racing the bike from one stop light to another, there's not a lot of stress on the belt. I've heard some owners have made it over 40,000 miles. My recommendation is to buy the belt at 24,000 miles and then just have it on hand to replace if you find cracks developing in the teeth.

As for riding in the rain... :) :) :) That's one of the advantages. There's no adjustment and no lube required. Just pull into the garage, and go inside. The next morning, go back into the garage and ride away. :)

Chris

Edited by Daboo
As for local rides, the nice part is I can go North towards Tennessee in short order, West into Northern Alabama, or East into Northern Georgia. Many people completely ignore West of I75 but there is very good riding out that way and back roads up through Rome to Chickamauga is a great ride. (NW Alabama has that "mini Grand Canyon" park whose actual name escapes me at this moment)

That would be Little River Canyon, just east of Ft. Payne, AL, and excellent area.

For the best and biggest area of excellent riding; northeast GA, starting around Dahlonega, up thru the Smokies and Appalachians into Virginia. All the little state highways, like 215, crossing the BRP are riding heaven.

Cheers

Edited by Lowndes