IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Road V's

Mike05

In the process of updating an '05 R1200RT. Current tires are: a recently replaced Pilot Road 2 on the front and a fairly worn Pilot Road 4 on the rear.

Under the heading of more then you want to know, purchased a Mobiletron TPMS

(Here's the link: https://regitar.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=4_177&product_id=3645) that mounts the sensors inside the tire via a band around the rim, so I have to dismount the tires anyway. Not wanting to remount the two existing mismatched tires with different wear &/or ages, I'm using the TPMS as a reason/excuse to buy new rubber.

I plan to stay with Michelin's and when I went to order a set of Pilot Road 4's "discovered" Pilot Road 5's. Of which I know nothing about.

Any comments/insights regarding the PR 5 tire would be welcomed.

I went with PR 4 gt as the 5 gphas not been officially rated for rt. I do know several people putting on 5. Gt version of 5due out next year from what I researched.

That link brings up only the Pilot Road 4 GT.

The Road 5 page still says:

MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.

Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

Lone_RT_rider
Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR......

Heavier bikes........ :dopeslap::rofl::facepalm::ohboy:

That link brings up only the Pilot Road 4 GT.

The Road 5 page still says:

MICHELIN Road 5 Standard versus the GT version

The above sizes of MICHELIN Road 5 tires are designed for naked bikes and roadsters such as the Triumph Street Triple and the Suzuki SV650.

Heavier grand touring bikes such as the BMW R 1200 RT or the Kawasaki 1400 GTR require the GT version of MICHELIN Road 5, which will become available in 2019. Until then please choose MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tires.

Thanks for that information. Looks like I'm buying Pilot Road 4 GT's this time.

Yeeha! Stephen

Got about 3500 on my new 5"s (1200 RT) and they look good. No cupping or squaring, which is a problem for me in flat-a**ed Texas.

They are loud though. Big sipes make them sound like Bubba's Super Duty with mud grips.

I want some cheese with that whine!

SS

Your post is timely! Spent some time researching this further and came to the conclusion the PR 5's are just fine for the R1200RT, they just aren't the GT version, which is yet to come.

Day rides, weekend jaunts & "Pie" runs (this is Texas) are safely within the comfort range of this tire. If I ever work back up to longer trips I'll go with the GT version then.

GT on the 5's will be available next year. Suppose to be a great rain tire.

I went with Roadtec 01 HWM. Thought to change it up from the PR4's that I've been using.

St0nkingByte

I'm on my 9th (NINE!) set of Pilot Roads on my 05 RT. I have no experience with anything else on the RT but all generations of the PRs (1-4) have been amazing. I'd swear they get better as they wear and at the end when they look bald they ride really nice on dry pavement ;)