IGNORED

3-D Printed S1000 Frame

John Ranalletta

I think as metallurgy evolves that this would be a viable option. I'm no expert but I would think that the base material would not hold up to long term stresses like a conventional manufacturing process. But again I'm no expert

Danny caddyshack Noonan
I think as metallurgy evolves that this would be a viable option.

In just the past few years, they've come a long way in getting good mechanical properties from non-exotic alloys. There is a huge payoff in removing several special processes and having only one....making a part appear out of a bucket of powder. We can expect more and more of this. One of the cool things would be to tweak frame member thickness to minimize weight while keeping mass/stiffness where it is needed.

The additive manufacturing process is impacting industry more and more, machine tool manufactures to software companies like mine are investing in this pretty seriously. A single machine can now lay the material down and then followup with a traditional mill tool to trim and finish the part.

Imagine space exploration with a machine like this and stock piles of powder. You need a part you load a CAD file and get it made.

Just as cool as space would be an independent shop able to make part instead of waiting on dear 'ol BMW shipping one from Germany.