IGNORED

Sight glass weeping R12rt 09

Tank

This morning, before riding with Twisties and Bullet I checked the air and oil.... the sight glass is weeping oil, not a lot , just a mist around the glass seal and a drop or two or more at the bottom outside of the glass. Question is : is this a job for a diy or should I make appointment. I tend to complacate things sometimes , I just can't seem to see how to start. Back in the R 1100 series I remember some sight glass issues but haven't heard of any in what seems to be a long time. Advice welcome , thanks

RT is parked and today ride will be with the 650GS

This morning, before riding with Twisties and Bullet I checked the air and oil.... the sight glass is weeping oil, not a lot , just a mist around the glass seal and a drop or two or more at the bottom outside of the glass. Question is : is this a job for a diy or should I make appointment. I tend to complacate things sometimes , I just can't seem to see how to start. Back in the R 1100 series I remember some sight glass issues but haven't heard of any in what seems to be a long time. Advice welcome , thanks

RT is parked and today ride will be with the 650GS

AfternoonTank

It CAN be a do-it-yourself but there is one big got-ya!

The sight glass is REAL GLASS & comes out & installs with great difficulty.

It is ever so easy to break the glass lens while removing then you end up with glass pieces inside the crankcase. It is also very easy to break the glass lens installing the new one.

The BMW dealer uses a large cutting tool to cut the outside rubber of the old sight glass so it then comes out easily. Then uses a proper fitting driver to re-install the new one.

If you end up breaking the new lens when installing then you have losing most of what you saved by doing it yourself.

Thank you D R. While riding today in the best of weather on some mighty fine roads, it came to me that a fix was to use a freeze plug if the glass blew while on the road

Is there some experince with this

Thank you D R. While riding today in the best of weather on some mighty fine roads, it came to me that a fix was to use a freeze plug if the glass blew while on the road

Is there some experince with this

Afternoon Tank

Yes & no/

On the BMW 1100 & 1150 the sight glass could blow completely out so in an emergency a rubber type expanding freeze plug could be used as a temporary repair.

On your 1200RT the sight glass is held in with a snap ring so the entire sight glass can't blow out therefore a freeze plug will do you no good.

Now if the center lens should start leaking there is no easy way to get the entire sight glass out so again a freeze plug won't do you any good on this either.