IGNORED

Possible Cap on Ethanol Content

TestPilot

The May 2018 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News contains the following in a brief article:

"Two bills introduced in Congress (H.R. 5212 and S. 2519) would cap mandated ethanol content in the nation's fuel supply at 9.7 percent, which would stop the federal government from forcing E15 fuel (15 percent ethanol by volume) into the market."

This would be good news for all of us, since no motorcycles currently on the market are certified for E15. I urge all of us to contact out congressman and senators and urge them to support these bills.

We'll have to see if it gets past the farm lobby. Other factors may greatly reduce per bushel prices this year, which means a lot of farmers will be pushing their elected representatives to increase ethanol production. Adjusted for inflation, corn per bushel prices have actually dropped since 1971.

I don't recall seeing any E15 around me. I would assume that it would be labeled different from the regular octane gas I see here in Maryland?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I don't recall seeing any E15 around me. I would assume that it would be labeled different from the regular octane gas I see here in Maryland?

Yes. You should see something like this on the dispenser:

220px-EPA_E15_warning_label.jpg

Despite the language on that label, if the Wikipedia article is right, then not every passenger car and motorcycle made since 2001 is E15-compatible. Best advice is to refer to your owner's manual to see what it will tolerate.

The only place i see it is at Sheetz stations. It does have a separate handle. Other than that, I would be thrilled if they did away with ethanol all together. But, i have been and will continue to be something of a dreamer. :-)

You can never be sure that the E10 pump actually dispenses 10% ethanol and not something much higher as in 30% or even higher. That's the problem with ethanol laced fuel. In Oregon there is no self serve gasoline rural Eastern Oregon areas being the only exception during late night hours. But fortunately one can easily find non-ethanol premium grade fuel which is all I use in the bikes. Easy to get a commercial fueling card which allows access to commercial self serve stations many which have non-ethanol pumps. I like it when the Californians follow you into a commercial station only to find that access is denied without the commercial card. :dopeslap:

Hi Marty, It is kind of funny to watch them loose their minds at a gas station just because they can't pump their own gas. I mean why would anybody get fired up over that? You would have to live here to appreciate the humor. :D

Exactly why are you not allowed to pump your own gas? I rode all over Oregon on a trip 2 years ago and never even knew I was not supposed to pump my own gas, I just did it out of habit.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Exactly why are you not allowed to pump your own gas? I rode all over Oregon on a trip 2 years ago and never even knew I was not supposed to pump my own gas, I just did it out of habit.

It's been a state law there for, like, thousands of years. They finally changed the law just this year to allow people in some lightly-populated counties to pump their own gas.

Note that motorcyclists in Oregon have been allowed to pump their own gas since 2001.

No is still the only state that absolutely does not allow self service gas and never will. On a bike they have always let me pump. But I guess I am the odd man our as on a car I still like to pump my own. It is faster and neater as I am a bit anal about stuff.

szurszewski
Hi Marty, It is kind of funny to watch them loose their minds at a gas station just because they can't pump their own gas. I mean why would anybody get fired up over that? You would have to live here to appreciate the humor. :D

I appreciate the humor when I'm across the border in WA and sit in my car for a minute or two waiting for the attendant --- until I realize where I am and that no one is coming.

I also kind of prefer to fill my own even in the car (always do on the bikes), but I've gotten used to it and have found my regular go-to starions where the attendants are quick and careful.

Edited by szurszewski

Thing I don't like about self serve is the pumps aren't all the same. Once when up in podunk Montana I stopped for gas and couldn't figure out how to work the pump guy waiting behind me started to laugh and I got embarrassed which made matters worse so I just hid my shame and drove off.

Yup, I've had that happen more than once where I pull into a station, usually in Washington, and just sit there at the pump waiting for the attendant who never comes. :whistle: All this said I don't want Oregon to change. YOU HEAR THAT CALIFORNIANS!! Sorry, just had to shout that one out.

Oh, when fueling a motorcycle you give your card to the attendant and he starts the pump then gives you back your card and hands you the nozzle you don't start the pump so it's kind of part self serve for a motorcycle. Kind of nice you don't have to figure out the pump.

Edited by JamesW
Joe Frickin' Friday
Thing I don't like about self serve is the pumps aren't all the same. Once when up in podunk Montana I stopped for gas and couldn't figure out how to work the pump guy waiting behind me started to laugh and I got embarrassed which made matters worse so I just hid my shame and drove off.

Once when I was filling my tank, a lady on the far side of the pump asked me why she couldn't fuel to dispense from the hose. I explained to her that she had grabbed the diesel hose instead of the gasoline hose.

:dopeslap:

Lone_RT_rider
I explained to her that she had grabbed the diesel hose instead of the gasoline hose.

:dopeslap:

You saved her from a VERY expensive repair, and a very bad day. :)

Met my riding buddy at a McDonalds just after he had gassed up across the street. I noticed a strong smell of gas. When I asked him about it, he said the pump didn't shut off and gas went everywhere. When he complained, the attendant said “Oh yeah, we always have trouble with that hose”. He swore he'll never go back there.