IGNORED

Firestick, ROKU or what???

EffBee

I have great internet speed and want to get my TV through there, but since I'm a selective and limited watcher, I don't need a lot of features. I don't record stuff, so I don't need a DVR (unless using it is free. . . I don't mind commercials as that's often when I go to the loo). Otherwise, if I don't get up at 4AM on a Sunday for the Hungarian F! Gran Prix, my loss. Here's what I do like to watch.

1. Motorsports. Especially motorcycle races, so World Superbike, Supercross and AMA Motocross, Endurocross, and other similar events. On the four-wheeled side, anything is fine, from F1 to NASCAR to World Endurance.

2. If I can get the main networks, CBS/NBC/ABC, that would be nice.

3. I'd like to be able to get HBO and a few other quality special networks.

4. Netflix and Hulu, or is that redundant with some of the stuff above? At least I think I'd like Hulu. I've got a Netflix account, but haven't tried Hulu yet.

That's about it. So, which of the wireless TV products should I use? Firestick? ROKU? Other? If you can explain how your suggested product matches up with my needs above, great. That would help.

Oh, and if you know it, the approximate cost, beyond the initial purchase, for whatever I would have to buy in order to enjoy the above. This is all new to me, so I appreciate all advice.

Thanks.

Cannot help with the online content. But, I sure am surprised what is available on broadcast TV here in the Houston area. Just takes a good antenna, and the bigger the better. I know there are well over 50 channels, maybe approaching 100. Much is not my type of show. But some of the stuff is old movie reruns, cooking shows, home improvement, on and on. And you get the main networks ( how much longer will they be considered main? ). Since it is digital, picture quality is as good as any other type of programming.

Did I mention that it is FREE!

Ditto in my area on what Realshelby said. I cut the cable cord a year or so ago and never looked back. Have both fire stick and roku as well as fire tv. I use amazon prime so the fire products make it easy to pay for any premium channels you get from time to time. I find fire tv faster responding than the sticks due to processors but usually the sticks are fine. The only difference between any of them is the interface which you quickly get used to. Otherwise, there's a lot of free programming to choose from...too much.

For paid programming Sling, PlayStation Vue and Hulu offer plans from $20-40/mo. There are others but these are the ones I've tried. For me...and the grand kids, Hulu is our choice but to be honest we don't use it that much and may drop back to not having any of them.

My suggestion is to get a fire or roku stick for $40 and play with the free content. What have you got to lose and I suspect you'll be amazed. If you're in a metro area add an HD antenna for another $100 for all the local channels. This site will show what HD channels are in your area. https://www.tablotv.com/tools/

HI,

We have horrible reception in our little valley. We have used Roku units for many years. I am watching a show on one now. Roku will allow you to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, etc. The only thing that does not work well on it is the Amazon Music. You only can play your music, not the full Amazon Music Library.

We also have a FireStick, a Chrome Cast, and a Chrome Cast Audio hooked up.

I pay for Amazon Prime, and Netflix. I sign up for a week at a time for free of HBO, Hulu, etc. when I want to watch something specific.

We watch the Roku's the most.

Rob

We have an antenna on the roof, and get about 5 channels. Fox, CBS and PBS and something else. There's not a lot that I watch there, and I've sworn off network news (gawd, I miss Walter Cronkite!). I don't do sports of any kind (except "le tour"), so I'm not much help there.

We also have Amazon Prime, and watch that mostly. It leaves a little to be desired. There's endless garbage to watch, and quite a lot of good stuff. But the better stuff is hit or miss as to whether you have to pay extra to "rent" it. I find this rather odd especially with old movies everyone's seen a dozen times. I guess the upshot of Prime, as opposed to HBO or a traditional TV station, is that I'm not fed a "lineup", and so I can select damn near anything I desire. It's just a matter of whether I want to pay a few extra bucks to watch Jeremiah Johnson again. The answer is usually no.

They do offer some channels like HBO etc., that could be viewed through amazon, I guess. But I don't know how it works. Probably a separate subscription or add-on.

We're watching on a smart TV, over wifi, and can watch on other devices like a laptop or phone. It's probably handy when away from home, but we don't really do that (watch tv, while away).

:lurk:

This topic is of great interest to me. I too am in a challenging free zone, reception over the air is not consistent and often very pixelated. But I am sick of TWC (or Spectrums) charges. That is why I use OOMA for my home phone (Cell coverage also sucks where I live). I have A Prime and very little of interest there but friends tell me NetFlix is the way to go. So, keep the thread going, I want to learn more.