IGNORED

TPMS

strataj

Sorry if this seems long… Heard of the batteries failing at about 4 years in the tire pressure sensors in our Wetheads (CR2032). Because of the price of new OEM sensors, I decided to try Chinese. Knowing the time, it takes to get stuff delivered from China I went ahead and ordered a pair for about $50 delivered (they came in 30 days from order). Planning to have them ready when needed. From my early readings, I was looking for the sensor ID on the newly delivered sensors. I was under the understanding I needed to enter this number in the GS911 software to link the senor to the bikes computer. The seller told me I needed a tool to see that. I orders a ATEQ V-31 since it worked on all BMW Motorcycles dated 2007. The sensors in my 14 R1200RT are the same part number 36318532732 dating back to 2007 and earlier. Trying to retrieve the senor ID (it would also provide PSI and battery level) it just showed triggered processing never displaying the sensors values. The V-31 worked on my F-150 and the wife's Subaru. I saw senor ID, PSI and if the battery was ok. I thought the V-31 would be great for the bike if I could see the PSI without using a manual gauge. It seems more often than not while checking tire pressure I let out too much so I usually need to add air which make it more of a chore. I tried to read the OEM sensors on the bike, it too stayed in the triggered processing mode, no values. I connected the GS911, it showed the bike sensors batteries not OK. On a test ride no PSI reading and then the dash light up with a TPMS warning. I couldn't get the OEM sensors to work. Not sure what happen but Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule Number 39 says "There is no such thing as coincidence." I'll have to open the sensor and pull the battery for testing to see if that's it but what a hell of a coincidence ☹

I did a little more homework found out you need to wake the new senor, forget all that other stuff. My reading say an EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool for GM Series Vehicle works and it's cheap about $17 on Amazon. It works on all 315 or 433 MHz TPMS. Since I already have a ATEQ V-31 I used it; pointed it at the new senor, set the GS911 in learn mode, it linked it to the bike and I was all set, repeat for the front tire. All good on test ride 😊😊😊.

I still wonder what happen to the OEM sensors anyone have any ideas before a cut into them and dig out the battery? I haven't tried the ATEQ V-31 on the new sensors since installing them and I'm not sure I will until I know about the OEM failure. I would like to use the V-31 as a tire pressure gauge.

Hope this helps others

Jay

Jay,

How did you wake the new sensors?

With the ATEQ V-31. With the sensor in one hand the V-31 pointed at the sensor turn on to BMW Motorcycle touched the trigger button. At the same time run the learn software with the GS911, this video will show you

. The software version in the video is a little different. I used the V-31 in-place of the tool used in the video. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Jay

Heard of the batteries failing at about 4 years in the tire pressure sensors in our Wetheads (CR2032).

Jay

Now I heard 7-8y on the sensors, which I assumed was the batteries in the sensors.

TestPilot

Battery life seems to be all over the map. My R1200ST is 11 years old and the original sensors are still functioning (but I may have just cursed them).

• 5 weeks later...

The battery life must be dependent on the mileage as well as the age. The sensor only transmits when the wheel is spinning. I am just about to replace the rear sensor on my 2014 RTW - but the problem is not the battery, there is a specific display on the instrument panel for low battery. The problem with my rear sensor is that on a long ride usually on about the 2nd or 3rd day it will loose the connection, sometimes for an hour or so sometimes longer. Of course as soon as I am anywhere near the dealership it works perfectly. The errors do store on the GS-911 though "communication interference" (or something)

Geoff

profbodryak

Had one replaced so far on my '14 (covered under equipment warranty). They fail over time like any other battery but I think it could be possible that the charging element could fail as well.

On another note they don't only work when the wheel is spinning. If you put the bike on the center stand and let's say inflate or deflate the tire, the pressure while the bike is stationary. I think it mostly has to deal with how much charge the battery has at the moment.

Yes, I have seen that - if you get a flat you can watch the pressure changing as the tire inflates. The pressure change wakes it up, (it also causes the sensor to send its ID). My new sensor (ebay $86) was very easy to set up because it had the 7 digit ID on the sensor so all I had to do in the GS-911 was remove the old ID and enter the new one. Not all sensors have the ID though, then you have to do the wake-up thing...

In case you are wondering at what pressure the alarm is displayed here's a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o-XlDhJbYFIu2cSj3PBX_qPFfudTtcg9/view

You can buy a wake up tool as I said in my original starting post for about $17. You can then use the tool to wake up the senors to display on the bikes dash tire pressure without the need to apply air. To me this has a nice benefit knowing the tire pressure A- before you ride/start the bike and B- not letting air out just to get a reading. I too often lose enough pressure checking that I have to add air. If you are wondering if the the sensor stays wake it goes to sleep in the same time as if you just came in off a ride.

Jay

You can buy a wake up tool as I said in my original starting post for about $17. You can then use the tool to wake up the senors to display on the bikes dash tire pressure without the need to apply air. To me this has a nice benefit knowing the tire pressure A- before you ride/start the bike and B- not letting air out just to get a reading. I too often lose enough pressure checking that I have to add air. If you are wondering if the the sensor stays wake it goes to sleep in the same time as if you just came in off a ride.

Jay

Just remember that the pressure displayed in the dash is corrected to 20 degrees C (68 degrees F).