IGNORED

Where to get XM Radio Repaired.

kioolt

I've got an XM Radio with a lifetime subscription that I would like to get repaired. Is there anyone on here that might have the ability to fix it or know where I could send it to get it repaired?

elkroeger

Contact the manufacturer. Surely there's a repair center somewhere. I might suggest a hi-fi repair shop, but the guys I've used probably wouldn't touch it. Anymore these things are more computers than "electronics" (if that makes any sense). At any rate, it's probably cheaper and easier to just get a new one.

If it wasn't for the life time subscription for the XM radio service I would agree. It won't cost me anything for the service for the rest of my life to listen to it if it worked. A new one will cost me whatever the monthly fee is for the rest of my life. The way that it failed seemed to indicate to me a power problem. It would cut off completely (backlight would go off) and also the audio. It would turn on and off. It finally wouldn't turn on at all. I tried a different power supply and it did no good. The existing power supply would work another XM radio.

elkroeger

Well.... maybe try a hi-fi electronics repair shop. Worst he can say is "no dice". OTOH, might be a simple fix for him.

I've got another unactivated working radio that has just occured to me that maybe it could be used for parts. The radio ID would have to remain the same on my life time subscription radio for this to work.

Last I checked, (which was around the time that XM and Sirius merged), the lifetime subscription was good for a maximum of 3 radio IDs. (original and change it twice).

You should check into that. Of course if you have already changed it it might be a problem. It may take an escalation to a higher level cust service rep to get the correct info if they come at you with the one radio one time story.

How long ago did you get your lifetime subscription?

Yes I do know about be able to transfer the life time subscription. If my memory is correct it depends on when you first bought the subscription on how many times you can transfer. I believe there are three levels. 1. Can transfer as many time as you want. 2. Can transfer only twice(total of three radios). 3. Not transferable. I know that I have transferred at least once. I don't want to transfer again at this time because I am planning on buying a RT next year and would like the subscription to be on the XM radio on the bike. My next bike will probably be my last one since I am getting older.

I don't know the brand or model of radio you have, but I've had a Roady and now a Roady2 (and 3 spares!). Both are antiques, but they have buttons big enough to be operated by a gloved hand, so I keep using them. Both of these models had a problem where the internal female power jack connects to the printed circuit board. They eventually crack and power becomes intermittent before failing completely. On my Roady, I was able to repair it when it went bad. Then I upgraded to the Roady2 model and damaged the pc board when I tried to repair the first one upon its failure. I successfully repaired the second one when it went bad and then decided to just buy spares for about $10 each. So far, no problems with my repair.

Have you tried an alternative to XM such as songs on a USB drive or stream music from your phone? To me, the signal from XM/Sirius is way too compressed and it hurts to listen to it.

Edited by AZgman

"I don't know the brand or model of radio you have, but I've had a Roady and now a Roady2 (and 3 spares!). Both are antiques, ..."

Never thought I'd hear satellite radios called antiques!! Guess that means I'm one, too!!

Transistor AM radios were high tech when I was 14.

I checked for a bad solder joint on the radio last summer when it quit working but didn't see one. Since then I got new glasses and now I was able to see one. I touched it up with my solder pencil and it appears to have fixed the powering on and off problem. I have tried to use it one day and even with a clear sky I had a lot of signal problems. I'm not sure if it's an XM transmission problem or my receiver. I ordered a new antenna and will give that a try,.

I guess I'm very old school but I really don't care to do anything other then turn the radio on and have it work. I don't have a smart phone so I can't stream anything. Probably wouldn't even if I had a smart phone.

Hey, Kioolt,

"I guess I'm very old school but I really don't care to do anything other then turn the radio on and have it work. I don't have a smart phone so I can't stream anything. Probably wouldn't even if I had a smart phone."

Me too. When I hear "streaming", I think Grandpa's tobacco juice.