IGNORED

Replacing Battery Cables on R1150RT

Claudio

My cable ends have seen better days (adapted for a few different battery terminals over the years so I've decided to replace them before they crack/snap on a trip.

I picked up a nice kit from Euro Moto electrics (EME), however, I just noticed that there are two positive cables that merge into one connector on my stock lead. They are bound together just at the terminal connector.

Before I start surgery to follow the leads and figure out what is going on, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has some visuals/advice on where the leads run / connect and, more specifically, this mystery lead.

6897.thumb.jpg.4c54aafd0c5e061d41485c44f2093032.jpg

dirtrider
My cable ends have seen better days (adapted for a few different battery terminals over the years so I've decided to replace them before they crack/snap on a trip.

I picked up a nice kit from Euro Moto electrics (EME), however, I just noticed that there are two positive cables that merge into one connector on my stock lead. They are bound together just at the terminal connector.

Before I start surgery to follow the leads and figure out what is going on, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has some visuals/advice on where the leads run / connect and, more specifically, this mystery lead.

Morning Claudio

The large red (10mm) cable goes directly to the large solenoid stud on the starter.

The smaller (6mm) wire goes to a splice connection then splits & goes on to the starter relay, ignition switch, load relief relay, flasher unit, & a number of fuses in the fuse box.

The large 10mm cable is easily replaced but the smaller red 6mm wire is integrated into the wire harness so about all you can do with that one is to install a new ring terminal on the battery

end & fasten it to the retaining bolt/nut on the new (+) cable.

The black earth (ground) cable is much more difficult to replace as it fastens to the engine case way up under the air box. (very/very difficult to get to).

Few replace the black ground (earth) cable & even fewer disassemble the bike far enough to get to the engine case end attachment unless taking the bike apart for other reasons. I have seen a new (replacement) ground (earth) cable attached to various (accessible) bolts on the engine case but that can set up resistance difference between the ground (earth) cable connection & the various smaller grounding (earth) connections that attach to the engine-side earth cable stud.

If your ground (earth) cable is in good shape then maybe just install a new battery-end ring terminal then replace the ground (earth) cable if or when you have the bike apart for major work or something like transmission work.

Sound advice. I had a sinking feeling I would need to lift the frame off the bike to get at that sucker.

New ring terminal on the ground cable it shall be.