IGNORED

Oil Cooler Lines Replacement?

dave_a

Can you all dispense any wisdom regarding the oil cooler lines on my '99 R1100R

I believe mine are original, like all rubber parts they deteriorate with time.

How frequently should they be replaced?

Has any one had the misfortune of bursting a line?

Where does one source these lines (besides BMW dlr)? I counted north of $400 for a few hoses, seems extreme.

Thanks guys,

Dave_a

dirtrider
Can you all dispense any wisdom regarding the oil cooler lines on my '99 R1100R

I believe mine are original, like all rubber parts they deteriorate with time.

Has any one had the misfortune of bursting a line?

Where does one source these lines (besides BMW dlr)? I counted north of $400 for a few hoses, seems extreme.

Thanks guys,

Dave_a

Morning Dave

I haven't ever heard of the oil cooler lines splitting or breaking on the old ® bikes.

The oil cooling circuit operates at a very low pressure (just circulates the oil) as it is a separate oil flow system than the main lubricating oil circuit.

$400.00 does sound extreme. I would imagine that you could have a local hydraulics shop crimp new hoses on your existing piping for a lot less $$$$$.

Edited by dirtrider

Never, unless on inspection they appear perished. However, I've never heard of that either.

I figured I would feel the hot oil all over my feet. Of course my boots are waterproof, and behind it: the rear tire. I'd have eventually put 2+2 together.

Thanks guys. Great info!

MurphyLaw: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

In the years working at a dealership from 99-13 (?)

I recall seeing 1 oil line needing replacement , on a civilian RT

It wasn't the line itself, but where the rubber was crimped or swedged into the fitting.

And and O-ring failure on a very early R1100RS where the line met the motor (?) on top about 4yr ago.

You never know , the bike(s) could have been in an accident, etc

But I would call it extremely rare or unlikely one would have this problem.

I honestly have looked at these lines as well but not for the same reasons- over time oil sludge does build up thus constricting flow and causing a system to work harder. Does anyone know if this happens with these or is it something most just don't worry about?

dirtrider
I honestly have looked at these lines as well but not for the same reasons- over time oil sludge does build up thus constricting flow and causing a system to work harder. Does anyone know if this happens with these or is it something most just don't worry about?

Morning jelake

If you are getting oil sludge buildup in any part of the modern BMW fuel injected engine oiling system then either you are not changing your oil, or are using some very poor quality non approved engine oil.

Thanks, no build up noted but since I am also the second owner of my bike I cant attest to what the PO may have done. Just been dealing with a lot of line deterioration between my truck and the bike so I figured I would ask.