IGNORED

BMW Not So Woes

kioolt

profbodryak

kioolt, not commenting on you posting but on the article itself :)

While interesting, it does come off as rather biased. That's BMW and their cars are expensive too. And most of us love both of them and enjoy them for a reason. I could seriously go bullet point by bullet point and defeat each and one of them. It is a weak statement to say that this is a Woes analysis as analysis is backed up by data, while this rather resembles someone's random thoughts.

Do electric cars have a cool factor? I mean, maybe... but with how many vehicles in this world is this going to become widespread? I have not had anything other than a bimmer since 2004 except my first bike in DC :)

fourteenfour

love the too heavy comment, lol BMW has nothing on VTwins when it comes to weight. still as another said, so much of this is easily refutable it is silly

profbodryak

They are expensive and a motorcycle is not an investment (two major collisions with hospitalizations x2 in the last 5 years for me at a hospital where I work - both totalled and both not at fault) but when you are getting one, you do so knowing this is the case.

Besides, this is a fourth boxer I have. And you know what? There is joy in this every single day I go to and from work every morning. Oh don't even mention the weekends. All year around :)

beemerman2k

BMW has come a long way since I bought my RT in. 2000. The bikes were loved or completely ignored, now they command respect at all levels of motorcycling.

Edited by beemerman2k
profbodryak

Stopped by the motorcycles of Dulles in VA today with a friend of mine, test drove a K1600GT for the second time (but too big of a bike for being in the city for me). BMW bikes have become so refined over years. I then saw a guy get on his R1150RT and drive off and it made me think of how different those bikes used to be. I remember starting it on cold mornings by pulling up the choke switch, how high the RPM's were for the first few minutes and how much fewer HP's they used to put out.

The article does a good job in listing the problems facing the motorcycle industry as a whole. The Japanese are putting out some decent bikes to hook the new rider, but let's see how many kids stay riding. When the price of a new bike is the same as the price as a good used Corolla, the smart thing to buy is the car. The Toyota is probably cheaper to own than the bike.

Went into a BMW dealer last week to check out the offerings. First two things that hit me is the general ugliness & expense. I ride bikes more than I look at them, rented a F800GS and loved it. With a base price of $13,550, it's a luxury item for most of us.