IGNORED

Catalytic heat?

Tennmoto

Will that converter underneath the drive line cause seals to fail, seems like it could be to hot down there

In Calif, before removing them got so much of a big deal (by dealerships) the exhaust companies would claim the rubber bits would live longer without the Cat with less heat, hoses boots, etc. never heard seals specifically.

I honestly don't think it made/makes any difference as with all the Authorities bikes I've seen in service from the 1100 to the pre-water cooled 1200, with thousands of miles at creeping speeds in the heat of the Central Valley of Fresno in Summer (100-110+) nothing special over and above any other BMW.

Rider comfort could be better in hot months, but .....

dirtrider
Will that converter underneath the drive line cause seals to fail, seems like it could be to hot down there

Morning Tennmoto

Any exhaust direction change or large catch area can radiate more heat. Your exhaust actually runs hotter at the first bend in front of the exhaust ports than the Cat area does. The difference is the cat has more surface area so radiates a lot of heat off of that. There is also less air flow above the cat to move the heat away from that area.

Now if a cat gets fuel logged & then you get enough oxygen into it to light that fuel off THEN you get LOTS of heat with potential component melting heat. (this seldom if ever happens on a fuel injetced BMW boxer bike)

Way back years ago when we would gut a cat (remove the internals) I was amazed that we would have a nice shinny silver colored cat it's entire life until we gutted it, then after gutting the cat it would turn purple from heat in a few places. Overall the gutted cat probably didn't run much hotter but in certain areas that the exhaust stream focused on it surely did.

About the only thing that I have seen a hot cat cause to fail on a BMW boxer is the o2 sensor pig tail & then only if it isn't secured so is allowed to droop down on the hot cat.

Now I have seen a number or rear-of-cat exhaust hanger rubber mounts fail on the BMW 1100 Boxer Bikes but that is more due to the cat's weigh bouncing around than due to heat. BMW just eliminated those on later Boxer bikes & quit servicing them on the 1100 Boxer bikes that came with them.

Your looking for a problem that just isn't there.

These bikes have been around forever and that just isn't one of the problems.