IGNORED

Cycle Gadgets

TonyS

My old trusty Garmin 2610 needs to be replaced. For years I've used the Cycle gadgets bar mount system. It seems CG is no longer in business, though I did speak with him several months ago. Any suggestions for mounts for a new GPS (and a new GPS, I don't like the idea of having my phone on a mount)?

Garmin Montana series,I have the 680T(picked up as new at REI garage sale for a screaming good deal)

Use the Garmin powered mount and a RAM mount.

Garmin Nav V,can be found for good prices now that the Nav VI is out,can buy the matching BMW button cradle or find the powered Garmin 660-665 cradle.

What is wrong with you 2610 ?,PalmDr can likely repair it at a reasonable cost.

JR356

Edited by JR356
elkroeger

Dunno about your reasons for replacing said garmin, but you can buy used models in tip top condition all day long on ebay for peanuts. If you like that particular model, and you can keep the maps current, why not? Shoot, some of these are cheaper than dinner at McDonalds!

"Garmin 2610" ebay

Edited by elkroeger
Michaelr11

I still have two 2610 Garmins, but they really are bricks. The last maps that Garmin issued for the 2610 are dated 2009 I think, which means the data on them is even older than that. But, the buttons and firmware on the 2610 were really good. Just saying.

Thanks for all the replies. My touch screen seems to be delaminating when I run my finger (gently) over it. The problem is bad enough that it's getting tough to read.

elkroeger

Not really knowing anything about the 2610...

There are other sources of maps available for GPSs. Ultimately the source is openstreetmap.org. HERE is a wikipedia page about it. I don't know how it works, but as I understand it, various people / outfits download the map data from OSM and compile it into a form that your particular GPS can use, and then they make those available to you.

A friend of mine uses THIS site. I haven't used it myself. I did however update my Nuvi from another site that I can't remember.

I used to use OSM data on my Garmin Quest and it was very easy to load directly through Mapsource. The only issue was the Quest's limited memory and the ever increasing amount of detailed data. Available here OSM/Garmin

I still use the OSM maps on my iPhone courtesy the excellent Pocket Earth app and I believe this RAM mount is as secure as can be hoped for RAM mount

elkroeger

I've got an old emap unit that I like for backcountry use. Plenty of map memory for my purposes, however, it's 32bit, and incompatible with my 64bit laptop. that might be the death of it.

There are a number of 26xx-28xx Ebay screen replacements that can even include a new digitizer.Make sure you get the correct screen size.

Online and possibly Youtube instructions are out there.

PalmDr. can provide the same service if you are not a DIY type.

Look on ADVRider.com in the flea market,good GPS units there pretty often.

Excellent used Nav V should be $400-450 range,a bit more if you can get one with the cradle,Touratech mount,etc.

There is a Garmin Zumo 660 there now for $325

JR356

+1 on PalmDR - PalmDR. Always found Chris Short to be very helpful and accommodating with parts, repairs or advice.

I've been using an old Garmin NUVI 3590LM on my bikes for several years. I prefer this model because the screen is totally different (much better) than the regular Garmin screens. It's more like your cell phone screen; high deff, very responsive, faster, plus it rotates so that the screen is vertical showing more roadway ahead and taking less instrument panel area. RAM makes a very secure cradle for it, too, with quick disconnect. It's been thru several substantial rides in the rain with no ill effects. See pics.

Also use an old cell phone (Note 4) running WAZE beside the NUVI. I hotspot the Note 4 to my regular cell phone for service or use Offline Maps. WAZE and Garmin both have features/abilities (or don't have features/abilities) I like. Nuvi has Track History and doesn't need cell service. Waze has LEO's, much better maps, much much better detours, and much much much better traffic, but Waze needs cell/wifi service AND because the screen is ON constantly, it runs the battery down faster than it can charge. Could access the GS-911, FOBO tire press/temps, and battery charge with the Note 4, too.

More pics of both mounts here: K bike GPS mounts

VHFrCNpGTKn5mda2i5fam7gaY_IsC6idLSyOHgsLKbnfWoV9uhD_o1DEi0e8G-H28o2BK6Tz54avSMxxrINAf6_1TLfJBlPbIqBREskJa6nEDTo-LOzDdMQOGNjP5v1bOloe57e_vaW5IBePnaUmvKluhP_ZVIsdvhF3DDkyU0CFUgmHlOixuo6nrRHlpWKXeyLIEuZs-IvSJrt-6r-YT-PpWEWTbUTuCdM1MjjhsgwdKck4TrD_74aRarbnAAQvL32jmlE3XyL8_Iq0RfAj-P8LATdCb0hSJvp_f8ncqct24FQAXqjtkgPSBpn3mul2LP1evznOFcTX-SOxns0R_DC2JkNfSBtPHO1zkWb52hulxa6P7906kZ0ALr0KLoeeCwVRvTUYtezucBBuho53Uzf5leI-nJFBxMuQ8CnKWX7dUptTG4u_M-WH2lF40nSsTczuo3OwMcK_syn8WaBLbY7vs0xdrTa56n5AQDq426wdRzC7Pge0MTtUXrD91sPHw5t4eTQgrj7CorszJdrK80NMytQyTjEKh6HoJB4Vac51dEGrmJD41UWydNT_CQTsuLxACGGDFqaE7FQbf7PpSuhzCeM2wgAOyAA7UTY6Vt8Lmo9V7miKuDM7LBslVqNfB0cAf3QPS_L8edgZTGb1brKtMwOr_2r72g=w1461-h711-no?.jpg

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=858128

Here is a tutorial on this site regarding 26xx,etc screen/digitizer replacement

Just checked,several screen/digitizer assemblies on Ebay for under $20.

All come from China,as do almost all the GPS digitizer /screen assemblies.

All seem to ship for low $ but may take a while.

Zumo 590 and 595 units now in flea market on ADVRider.

JR356

Most people may already know this, but google maps lets you download map areas. If I find myself in an area with spotty coverage, I make a pit stop at a McDonalds (or other eatery) for a tea and use their wifi to download a map of the surrounding area.

That said, I'm also a big fan of Waze.

Lone_RT_rider

I recently installed this mount. I put 1800 miles on it and a Zumo 590 with conditions from butter smooth highway to tore-up mountain roads in Virginia. I used to have a 2720 with a cradle and ram mount setup that was secured to the top of the clutch reservoir.

IMO.....

The misgel mount as delivered transmits way too much vibration into the GPS. The only time my screen was stable was on the highway at steady speeds. My RAM mount setup had a lot less vibration. I am going to have to add some additional rubber pieces between the dash and the arm of the mount in order to cut the distance of the cantilever effect and hopefully dampen out that vertical frequency.

Thankfully, McMaster Carr sells small sheets of rubber (Neoprene) in various durometers.

Most people may already know this, but google maps lets you download map areas. If I find myself in an area with spotty coverage, I make a pit stop at a McDonalds (or other eatery) for a tea and use their wifi to download a map of the surrounding area.

That said, I'm also a big fan of Waze.

Poodad,

There are several "Offline Maps" apps for free for Android. I've used one by that name with good success, just like you say. Maps look just like Google Maps, but I don't think they are connected otherwise.