IGNORED

Torque of brake lines?

Dave P

Hi all! Well I just successfuly installed my set of Galfer SS brake lines on my 96 RT. Took my time and it went well. Right now I have all of the lines connected (with the new copper washers) and lightly tightened. I was going to go through one by one and properly tighten everything up tomorrow.

What torque setting should I use on the steel banjos with copper washers? The lines that take 2 wrenches to tighten, is it just a "feel" or is there a correct way to properly torque them?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by Dave P
dirtrider
Hi all! Well I just successfuly installed my set of Galfer SS brake lines on my 96 RT. Took my time and it went well. Right now I have all of the lines connected (with the new copper washers) and lightly tightened. I was going to go through one by one and properly tighten everything up tomorrow.

What torque setting should I use on the steel banjos with copper washers? The lines that take 2 wrenches to tighten, is it just a "feel" or is there a correct way to properly torque them?

Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

That is a good question-- There IS a torque on everything as that is how the bike is built to retain safety & reliability.

When it comes to brake banjo fittings I have always used the old standby of-- tight enough to not leak or come loose but not so tight as to break or strip them.

BMW manual does list a couple of brake line torques if a person could be positive of what ones they are actually referring to.

Both front & rear caliper banjo bolts are listed at 15nm. (but I don't know how 15nm feels on those banjo bolts as I haven't ever put a torque wrench on them).

Jim- Yeah thats what I'll do. Should've thought of that.

Funny, but the package with these brake lines had a color 2 sided insert that showed all 99 color combinations these came in, but NO information (like torque) about how to install them! D