IGNORED

Garmin Smartphone Link

strataj

Since I got my 14 RT with Nav V I've been using the weather app via Garmin Smartphone Link (paid $5 for the weather app). If I wanted the weather or radar I'd just click the icon on the Nav V it would display as long as I had an internet connection to my phone. Since the latest app upgrade I now must go into my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) Bluetooth settings and select the Nav V (it's listed under paired devices) assuming I have Bluetooth turn on both Nav V and phone (Smartphone icon is displayed as active app). This is a major hassle since anytime the GPS is turned off or goes to sleep (at gas stops, anytime the bike is off) I lose the connection and much go back into my phones Bluetooth setting and select. Is it me or what's up?

Jay

There's an option in Smartphone link settings called 'battery usage' that either allows the app to connect automatically or requires the user to connect manually. See if that helps.

Thanks Pickaxe I do have that checked in the Smartphone app.

Spoke with Gramin today they are pointing fingers at Android, so at that time this nice future is a pain to use. Garmin says the phone isn't auto connecting to Bluetooth devices, it works with my truck...

Jay

I really like the Smartphone Link app which works flawlessly between my Nexus 5 phone and Garmin car sat nav. However, despite the fact that my Nexus 5 connects via Bluetooth to my BMW Nav V1, it won't link to the Smartphone link app at all.

alegerlotz

It might be a Samsung setting that is keeping it from automatically connecting each time. Does the phone auto blue tooth to other things such as your car? I can't recall the name of the app, but I do recall that an update to my S6 turned on some Samsung setting that asked about trusted devices or some such, which caused my phone to not auto connect.

After messing it it and trying to get it to work properly, I ended up doing a factory reset on the phone and then when that app tried to act as a security go-between for me, I disabled it immediately and my problems were solved.

I wish I could give you more concrete info about it, but it was quite a while ago.

Good luck!

It might be a Samsung setting that is keeping it from automatically connecting each time. Does the phone auto blue tooth to other things such as your car? I can't recall the name of the app, but I do recall that an update to my S6 turned on some Samsung setting that asked about trusted devices or some such, which caused my phone to not auto connect.

After messing it it and trying to get it to work properly, I ended up doing a factory reset on the phone and then when that app tried to act as a security go-between for me, I disabled it immediately and my problems were solved.

I wish I could give you more concrete info about it, but it was quite a while ago.

Good luck!

My phone auto sync's with my Ford F-150 without issue. I've check Smartphone Link app premssions all are good so that isn't stopping it. This looks like a Garmin issue but it would be good to hear from others that have updated the app how it works for them.

Jay

marcopolo

I had no problems with my Nav V and my iPone 6, nor do I have any problems with my Nav VI, and my iPhone X.

I had no problems with my Nav V and my iPone 6, nor do I have any problems with my Nav VI, and my iPhone X.

Are you using the Smartphone app that's the question (does it auto link to the Nav)? If so it may be an Android thing...

Jay

Update- I installed a new version of the Smartphone app, it now connects with the Nav V on the first connection but when the Nav goes to sleep it won't auto connect. If I reboot the phone it will auto connect, making some progress but still not good...

Jay

marcopolo

Are you using the Smartphone app that's the question (does it auto link to the Nav)? If so it may be an Android thing...

Jay

Yes, I'm using the Smart Link app (just assumed that was understood, given the subject). Soon as my iPhone pairs to the Nav, I get weather and traffic, and can do other things, like search for a spot using the app, and transfer the results wirelessly to the Nav.

I've now worked out the problem with the Nav 6. You have to delete the Smartphone link with any other sat nav you own before it will allow another Garmin unit to pair with the app. Slightly annoying but at least I know it works.

Jay

Yes, I'm using the Smart Link app (just assumed that was understood, given the subject). Soon as my iPhone pairs to the Nav, I get weather and traffic, and can do other things, like search for a spot using the app, and transfer the results wirelessly to the Nav.

Thanks Mark, sorry I don't assume anything anymore when it comes to responses on a list, I hope you understand.

Jay

Update- I installed a new version of the Smartphone app, it now connects with the Nav V on the first connection but when the Nav goes to sleep it won't auto connect. If I reboot the phone it will auto connect, making some progress but still not good...

Jay

I have good news, the update did work! I also learned for the Bluetooth connect the Nav needs to be fully charged or plugged in.

Time to ride :)

Jay

I have the phone app, but I keep getting loud tones, and warnings through the app. It drove me crazy, so I logged out. If you can tell me how to stop getting 'small craft warnings' when I'm 50 miles inland I would greatly appreciate it.

I have the phone app, but I keep getting loud tones, and warnings through the app. It drove me crazy, so I logged out. If you can tell me how to stop getting 'small craft warnings' when I'm 50 miles inland I would greatly appreciate it.

Nobody, as far as I'm aware, has been able to do that (turn off audible warnings for weather, and traffic), short of not running the app. Another possibility -- though I have not tried this -- is to delete the app from your phone, and then download it again. I believe it will then ask permission to supply alerts etc. If you reply, no, I wonder what would happen? By the way, I'm using the iOS version of the app.

• 2 weeks later...

Smart Phone Link is handy for real-time weather radar, but one issue that Garmin can't seem to address is repeated weather alerts. If there is an active weather alert (e.g., small craft advisory, wind advisory, flood warning, etc.) in the area where you are riding, it will alert you EVERY FIVE MINUTES. Other than disconnecting Smart Phone Link, there's no way to turn this off because such alerts are included in the data feed from the weather service. I rode from western PA to western MA one day recently on a rainy day and there were flood advisories all across the Northeast. Typical for spring. I was reminded of this annual occurrence with an audible chime EVERY FIVE MINUTES. The chime cuts in over any other audio stream (bike to bike, music, GPS prompt) for several seconds before returning to the other audio stream.

Bill_Walker

I do like it for traffic information in high-traffic areas (San Diego, LA, San Francisco Bay Area), but yeah, the weather alerts are just annoying. Especially the nautical ones. I don't care if there's a Small Craft Advisory offshore, or if there's a Lake Wind Warning on Lake Mead while I'm passing through Vegas. I suppose tornado or hurricane warnings might be nice if I travelled in areas where those were a worry, but even then, I don't need to hear it again every few minutes.