IGNORED

It finally happened

RPG

From the 1st day I took delivery of my new '04 RT, I knew she was a keeper.

Last Friday I finally turned over 100k. It's been a fun journey and I couldn't be happier on how the bike has performed over the years.

Trips all over the country, Florida, Blue Ridge Parkway, Utah, Nevada, and Colorado, never missed a beat, in all kinds of weather.

The biggest issue I had over all that time was the dreaded ignition key wire harness fraying. Other small things here and there but nothing that ever left me stranded.

Original rear drive too, just regular maintenance.

Updates are a Sargent Seat, Cee Bailey's shield (+2"), and a Throttlemeister.

I would ride it to Alaska tomorrow in a heartbeat.

RPG

Lone_RT_rider
Last Friday I finally turned over 100k........

I would ride it to Alaska tomorrow in a heartbeat.

I remember when you got that bike Rick. It's awesome that you found a great bike like that and stuck with it. :) Ride it until you can't swing a leg over it anymore.

Shawn

Sam Taylor

Love it. I'm about to hit 115K. She has a few battle scars and one expensive hip replacement (Splines), but when I want to go somewhere far and fast, there is no better choice.

Alan Sykes

These year-04-onwards 1150cc boxers are excellent-value-for-money workhorses. Except when new spares are needed. The Greedy Berlin Pig seemed to have sorted-out on most of 'em by then, the infamous spline-wear problem that was mainly due to factory misalignment of the crankcase-to-gearbox interface, and so long as you annually replace the clutch hydraulic fluid, or 6-monthly as I do, and of course the brake juice, you're kushtie.

Only other serious probs that might arise are failing wiring to the Hall-Effect Sensor at the front of the motor, shorted-out heated-grip elements under the bar rubbers, failure of the pesky servo-ABS and time-related deterioration of various rubber components like the crankcase vent hose; which general rubber components BMW incidentally only ever guaranteed for a mere 5 years. The Chinese-outsourced rubber on current bikes seems to last longer; last week I was gob-smacked by a 2-hour test ride on a current R1200R naked roadster with all the bells'n'whistles, the Chinese wet clutch-pack and the shaft on the left. A truly phenomenal vehicle that does anything you want it to, at whatever speed you like.

The other day I noticed oil pollution around the motor-filler orifice on my '04 Rockster after some +100mph blasting. A new O-ring for beneath the cap was required. It had become an OAP with the passing of time. Like me. Regular maintenance of rubbers, fluids, filters, pads, discs and shaft drive unit keeps a smile on an 1150 boxer's fizzog.

AL - temporarily in the UK, enjoying the current no-doubt brief spell of Mediterranean-style warmth and sunshine.