IGNORED

200,000 miles

Kurt Snyder

Kurt Snyder

Hit the milestone riding home from work tonight. My 95 R1100RSL still runs great. I might have to try for 300.

Kurt

Northfield VT

Hit the milestone riding home from work tonight. My 95 R1100RSL still runs great. I might have to try for 300.

Kurt

Northfield VT

Congratulations. Any major repairs in all those miles?

RPG

That's awesome Kurt. I'm only at 33K on my RT. Kids!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! :thumbsup: Don't think I've achieved that number on all my bikes combined, past and present. :facepalm:

Pat

Congratulations.

Nice milestone.

If you want a target, I've got a friend with 2 K 75's.

One is just turning 500,000, saw odo picture.

The other I haven't heard in a while, but last I heard was 250,00, but that was years ago.

Probably 8-900,000 combined.

Blows me away, I only haad half that on my 5 beemers combined.

Kurt Snyder

Sorry for the delay.

The bike had 25,000 mile when I purchased it in 1999.

I have performed a lot of maintenance over the years but I'll list the major items.

69k-Transmission rebuild and clutch pack replaced due to worn splines. Tom Cutter did the job and under cut the gears. It still shifts great without any issues.

80k- Did a valve job and rings because I wanted to have it perfect for dyno tuning. Dealer said it didn't need it because it was in spec. Checked compression last year cylinder still match. HES replaced.

90k- Driveshaft , paid $262 for new driveshaft in 2007. current price $1026, ouch.

102k- Final drive bearing replaced, front rotors replaced with Galfer rotors.

132- Transmission, replaced rear input shaft bearing and gear. Bad design of the bearing thrust washer interface.

150k- HES replaced

160k- Alternator replaced with Bosch 60 amp.

171k- Fuel pump

After the transmission rebuild I began lubing the input splines every other year (20-25k miles) 130k miles later the spline show very little wear. I use Dupont Krytox high temp lubricant, XHT-BDX, $$$$ but it seems to do the job. I just checked the price, $104 for a 2 oz tube, WOW, it will last a lifetime for lubing the splines. I think I paid $60 years ago.

Michaelr11
Sorry for the delay.

The bike had 25,000 mile when I purchased it in 1999.

I have performed a lot of maintenance over the years but I'll list the major items.

80k- Did a valve job and rings because I wanted to have it perfect for dyno tuning. Dealer said it didn't need it because it was in spec. Checked compression last year cylinder still match. HES replaced.

150k- HES replaced

Appreciate the major item maintenance list.

Why was the HES replaced twice? What was the the first replacement HES? Did that one still have the faulty wiring harness?

Guess I got a few miles to go as well what with my '93 RSL getting close to 9K miles now and probably one of the few still running an M93 transmission which runs and shifts great on Motul 80/90 gear lube with moly. If you put a today's dollar cost on all those repairs you would for sure have a nice down payment on a new one of course you would have to give up the telelever. The cost of maintenance on a BMW weakens my bladder. But to be fair it costs a bunch to maintain any rolling stock these days. Well, BMW is still a bit pricy in comparison.

Took her out yesterday for a short run (50 miles) and there is nothing like the way she handles a well banked sweeper at speed. Just primo! Got to make sure I lift my toes up a bit though. :)

Wow, I'ma keep riding my 12rt. She cracked 115000 a couple of weeks ago. Bought it in 2010 with 5800 on it. Only major issue was a tranny replaced at around 75k or so.

Alan Sykes

These bikes are amazing, Kurt.

Despite the Car Division boys in suits from Munich taking over Motorrad's pricing philosophy in Berlin a few years ago to whack up the combine's profits.

Viz your comment : - "paid $262 for new driveshaft in 2007. current price $1,026, ouch".

And also despite the inclusion nowadays of Chinese-outsourced parts in abundance.

Thankfully my 2004 Rockster comes from the days when everything was either all-German or came from trusted European parts suppliers.

But I was truly gob-smacked last week in the UK when I spent a morning on a test-ride with a brand-new R1200R naked roadster with all the bells'n'whistles. 123bhp - the thing takes off like a Harrier Jump-Jet if you whack the throttle open like I'm used-to on my bike.

And if you're daft enough to over-cook a corner, resulting from the surge of over-confidence that comes after only a few miles astride this amazing machine, it calms itself down by a sophisticated Artificial Intelligence complex to make sure you don't run out of road.

Truly breathtaking. I think that the 2013 revision of the entire design of the boxer motor and transmission ( shaft on the LEFT - not the right ) and despite the abandonment of the terrific Telelever concept, I think that now we have the finest enhancement of the boxer motor ever.

But with all the extras, it's a twelve thousand snoojits showroom price

Now that's the "Bring More Wallet" pricing structure taken to extremes.

....and despite the abandonment of the terrific Telelever concept, I think that now we have the finest enhancement of the boxer motor ever..

It was still there on my '17 Wethead when I last looked! :-)

greiffster
....and despite the abandonment of the terrific Telelever concept, I think that now we have the finest enhancement of the boxer motor ever..

It was still there on my '17 Wethead when I last looked! :-)

BMW ditched the Telelever on the wethead R1200R bikes (2015 maybe).

Yeah, I know. I was just joshin' with Alan.

The lighter bikes don't need it, but the Bruisers like the RT really benefit from it.

Alan Sykes

Right, Andys.

I don't want this thread to turn into a plug for the 'new' boxers, but were I ten years younger I'd have bitten the salesman's hand off for that naked roadster with all the extras I would ever want to put on a new bike:-

Centre-stand, twin CREE driving lights, twin loud klaxons, tall touring screen, front engine casing protector, AkrapoviÄ £700 end-can, hand-guards, Comfort rider's seat, massive rear wheel hugger, Pro-Shift, Ride Control, Cruise Control, Lean Angle Monitor, Tyre Pressure Monitor, pannier rails, top-box plate, satnav kit.

That's about two-and-a-half grand's-worth of BMW accessories already fitted to a still-guaranteed bike with only 3K miles on the clock. In Thunder Grey Metallic.

Elegantissimo.... but was snapped up a couple of days later after I prevaricated.

Jefferies_R1200_R_Left_Bar.jpg

Jefferies_R1200_R_Left_Hand_Side_Rear.jpg

AL in s.e. Spain

Edited by Alan Sykes
CaptainKcorb

It's nice to read about the high milers out there. I'm a bit shy of the 200K mile mark, but being close (317K kms-197K miles) I thought my Rt's repair history might be interesting. I've owned the R1100RT from new (2000)

I want to say that this site made doing much of the work possible for me, especially splitting the bike to replace the clutch and tranny input shaft. As important, haunting the forum prepared me for the failures that did come along. Many were predicted as likely problem areas.

There was only regular maintenance for the first 60K miles though I worried about the slight play in the rear wheel. The dealer told me it was normal and that the BMW warranty didn't cover the bearings anyway. This lead to me taking over the service myself after the first warranty checkup. Spectro 'Synthetic' was in it for the first 25K miles and it's been Amzoil ever since. I don't know if it's better than other oils but at the current mileage there is little sign of mechanical engine wear. I did notice with some dismay that the plastic cam chain guide seems to be quite worn where it curves more sharply.

That, and the likelihood of another spline job (almost double the mileage from the first failure) coming up are the two top contenders for replacing the bike sooner than later. At 67 I'm thinking that my next bike will be lighter. The RT is great now but in another 10 years it will be a handful. The top of the list with me is currently the Yamaha FJ09 (weight, price, power) but hopefully I've got another couple of years and 20 or 30K ahead of me on this bike.

Here is the litany of pain. It's been a great relationship. Given my history of Spanish 2 strokes, and British twins and triples, the only bikes that approached this reliability were my Suzuki Waterbuffalo, and my R100/7. Both met untimely ends in road mishaps or they may have reached similar mileage.

62K Fuel hose pops off the pump in the tank. Luckily this happens overnight in the garage. The forum points me in the right direction and upgraded clamps are still on it.

70K The bike dies after a bath before a trip. It's the HES wiring which has turned to powder, and shorting at the clamp up by the alternator. As I was leaving the next morning it was repaired sheathing each wire with shrinkwrap and is still going strong.

75K Final drive play increases. I take the drive to Ian McQueen of Wolf BMW in London Ont where it's rebuilt and shimmed correctly . Still going strong.

85K Rear frame support broken. Welded up per the forum at home and still good.

90K Starter noisy. Removed, cleaned, lubed, and replaced. Still going strong.

95K Replaced the paralever bearings

101K Spline failure, replaced input shaft and clutch plate at home. The cost of the parts and shipping from the US were half the dealer quote up here and the labour doubled that again. Still going strong.

110K Replaced both shocks/springs (Works Performance). While they've worked well they're getting tired again. The 'rebuild cost' from Works approaches the price of new ones and the value at this mileage is dubious at best for me.

125K Turn signal cancel function fails. Revived with WD40 and still fine.

140K Replaced front wheel bearings. They didn't need it. (idle hands syndrome)

140K Replaced rear rotor (3.4mm) with Galfer from Motobins

150K Windshield adjustment intermittent. Reseated connectors and relays and it's been

fine since (Replaced the instrument bulbs as they'd all gone out)

165K Replaced the Paralever bearings (2nd time)

200K Hopefully a few weeks away without problems

All maintenance since 15K has been done at home. It's largely for the fun of knowing the bike, though the cost of dealer service and repair up to this mileage approaches the new cost of the bike. Belts, plugs(AC), fluids and other maintenance items were replaced as required, with good non-BMW replacements where possible.Spiegler braided lines were put in around 110K. I'm on the third set of disk buttons (both replacement sets from Motobins) but the front disks are original (and thin).

If I remember anything else I'll edit it in later.

SailorJean
It's nice to read about the high milers out there. I'm a bit shy of the 200K mile mark, but being close (317K kms-197K miles) I thought my Rt's repair history might be interesting. I've owned the R1100RT from new (2000)

All maintenance since 15K has been done at home. It's largely for the fun of knowing the bike, though the cost of dealer service and repair up to this mileage approaches the new cost of the bike. Belts, plugs(AC), fluids and other maintenance items were replaced as required, with good non-BMW replacements where possible.Spiegler braided lines were put in around 110K. I'm on the third set of disk buttons (both replacement sets from Motobins) but the front disks are original (and thin).

If I remember anything else I'll edit it in later.

Very detailed and useful history of maintenance - thank you !

A QUESTION if I may:

have you seen any increased in oil consuption over time - if so at what mileage and how much oil to be added ?

Elegantissimo.... but was snapped up a couple of days later after I prevaricated.

AL in s.e. Spain

"Prevaricated" or "Vacillated" :)

I was second owner of an 02 rt. Retired it w/214k, it used 1 qt of oil in 5k miles, 145 psi, the complete engine is still sitting under my work bench. The last time I rode before the part out I had a redline party with the tach. . Nothing happened.. I pegged that tach needle, bounced it off the little dial peg!

Planning on making a cut-away coffee table some day.

CaptainKcorb

Hi SailorJean,

Oddly or not, my worst oil consumption and fuel use was then the bike had less than 60,000kms on it. I used to get the fuel light about 340 Kilometers into a full tank, now it is more like 420kms.

Currently I'll add about half a liter over 5,000kms. It used to be that much over 3,000kms and the consumption leveled out around 80,000kms.

My RT has only done around 130000 miles, but over that mileage the average fuel consumption has not changed. However my oil consumption has definitely increased. It's not alarming, but it does mean I take a 500ml container of oil with me on longer trips (greater than 1000 miles).

102k, '04 RT, average oil consumption is 6-8oz. every 6k miles. Most of those miles are highway, 75-90mph, 120 miles/day.

Actually......oil consumption might be zero since I check the sight glass periodically. Sometimes its at the dot, sometimes below, sometimes above. I tend to add a couple ounces when it's below, something I'm getting psychiatric help for.....:)

RPG

Hi SailorJean,

Oddly or not, my worst oil consumption and fuel use was then the bike had less than 60,000kms on it. I used to get the fuel light about 340 Kilometers into a full tank, now it is more like 420kms.

Currently I'll add about half a liter over 5,000kms. It used to be that much over 3,000kms and the consumption leveled out around 80,000kms.

Thanks for the update ;-)

------------------------------------

John (Montreal - Canada)

BMW K1200RS (2002) with 93,000 miles / 151,000 KM