IGNORED

Decided To Stop Riding Street

KTM Doug

After a lot of consideration I have decided to stop street riding, except maybe a little putting around on my Husky 350. I just am not enjoying it like I used to and it is a shame for my almost new 1200GS to be just sitting around. Someone needs to be riding this great bike. 1 1/2 years and only 2100 miles. Best BMW I have ever had. Smooth, fast and a great handler. This will also reduce some risk as some of you know, Linda has MS for many years, and I feel I should try to stay around as long as I can. I think I might buy a little sports car to run around in however with my bad back and now my knee problem, it is difficult entering and exiting small cars. And now I have a torn miniscus and will probably need surgery. Bad timing as the Unrally is in July and I have another dirt trp to Colorado scheduled for August. And at my age and now skill levels, not sure how many chances I will have to get back. After I stopped riding in 2005, it was almost 10 years before I tried riding again and did my Bucket List Trip. I have been lucky enough to go back two more times in the last three years. I am trying to put off the knee til after August, but I was in so much pain a few weeks ago that I could almost not walk. An injection helped after a couple weeks. I now have a flexible brace that seems to be helping in stabilizing the knee so no pain killers at this time.

Not sure about the Unrally. We were going to attend and if it was hot, Linda would probably hang in the RV while putted around some. We might still come as there are some old friends I want to see again. I might mount up some street tires for the little Husky so I can ride around a little. And, I can carry it on the back of the RV without having to bring the trailer. Still hoping to attend, depending on the knee.

I will be posting the bike here, as well as a couple other places. Also have some riding gear, new helmet and all of the wife's riding gear that has only been used three times. So if anyone needs a 2017 R1200 GS Triple Black, get in touch. Vario bags, Vario top case, Darla lights, Billie tail light, headlight guard, and radiator guards. I will also be selling an almost new set of Globe Scout luggage. All will be listed as I get time.

I can't imagine the range of emotions going through your mind at this time, Doug. In my heart of hearts I know there will come a day when I have to make some decisions about how and/or what I'll ride IF I continue to ride. All I can say is that this past ski season I had the opportunity to share a ski lift chair with an 83 year old retired math teacher who managed to make it down some advanced slopes at Loveland Ski Resort and showed good style as he traversed the run. At that moment I realized I had a new hero in my life and a goal to reach. I'm not saying I'll be on downhill skis when I'm 83 but I'm damned sure focused on riding as long as possible. I wish you and Linda safe travels no matter how many wheels your riding on!

Marty Hill

Sorry to hear of your health issues. I'll be out in a few weeks, maybe we can catch lunch at the usual place. Wish this 82 year old body could handle your 12 GS. I'd snap it up in a minute. Later.

Sometimes life makes choices that we don't always agree with, but sounds like you're going to make the best of the ones you have. :thumbsup:

Pat

That's a big decision that could not have come lightly. Good on 'ya for showing the kids how to do it in the dirt. I sent a PM. I just want to make sure I don't run into Marty.

BTDT.

Hard choice, good choice.

Hope things sort out well and you can make the UN.

Jake and Marty...

could be fun.

I admire your decision. It's always better to have a choice to stop than have something disastrous happen. Knowing when to say when is always difficult, and always the right thing to do.

Good luck with the knee. Shots sometimes last a long time, sometimes, like the shot in the hip I got early this year lasted 3 weeks. I hope yours helps at least thru the end of this summer.

You still have a full and wonderful life and blessed with a good woman. You are living the life!

Hey KTM...on the meniscus thing....nothing to be afraid of as have had an operation on both knees. Recovery is very quick. In my case I went in 10AM and 4pm they sent me home; and that was on the knee they took out 80% of meniscus. They sent me home a bottle of drugs for pain but I never needed a single one. I walked out the hospital to the car. My PT was get up every 2 hours and walk for 15 minutes. They told me to use crutches for 2=3 days. Didn't need those either even though I had them... I never had any pain after leaving the hospital. I started walking 1miles twice a day after about day 3.

For me even with the 80% knee I have no after effects. You may decide to quit riding for your family and other very honorable reasons, but the knee(s) most likely wont be the reason.

P.S. I bought my first BMW Motorcycle from a guy in Livermore..

Edited by Skywagon