IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART), Dillard, GA. Sept 27 - 30.

Indy Dave

Ken and Chris - See you both at dinner! :eat::eat::lick:

Dinner Reservations Confirmed for Friday night FART meal:

Kinsley x 2

Bernie

Terryofperry

Marty

Marcopolo

6th gear

Phil B

John Ranalletta x 2

Indy Dave

SavannahCapt

DaveCinNO

Burt

Tallman x 2

greiffster

narcosis

RightSpin

Foot

twistyguy

endobobdds

SSTwin

Knarf11

SOB

Michelle

Toddfjc

BMW_Ken

Erdok

F16Viper68

Randy S

Ty Tass x 2

Mrzoom

Ron-M

Chris K

jmwms

Bob

Corey

Jon

Kdeline

Id's_OK

2018%20FART%20Dillard%20attending%20sept%2019.jpg

Safe travels Bernie.

No problem adding you guys for dinner, I'm taveling and will update the list tomorrow evening. Glad you all can join us.

Just a gentle reminder about the FART Group Dinner Friday Night.

** We have LIMITED seating, so if you haven't already done so, please reserve your spot by posting here in the thread.

Dinner is at 6:30pm Friday at Cupboard Cafe & Gifts 7388 US-441, Dillard, GA 30537.

Menu/Cost: Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread, beverage, tax & gratuity --- $14.99 per person.

Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes OR green beans, salad bar, bread, beverage, tax & gratuity -- $17.49 per person.

Dessert: You can also add Peach Cobbler for $2 (plus Tax and Gratuity)

Beverage is iced Tea or soda.

Settle up with the restaurant Friday night.

CONFIRMED FOR DINNER

Kinsley x 2

Bernie

Terryofperry

Marty

Marcopolo

6th gear

Phil B

John Ranalletta x 2

Indy Dave

SavannahCapt

DaveCinNO

Burt

Tallman x 2

greiffster

narcosis

RightSpin

Foot

twistyguy

endobobdds

SSTwin

Knarf11

SOB

Michelle

Toddfjc

BMW_Ken

Erdok

F16Viper68

Randy S

Ty Tass x 2

Mrzoom

Ron-M

Chris K

jmwms

Bob

Corey

Jon (Knarf12)

Kdeline

Id's_OK

MikeB60 x 2

Lowndes

2018%20FART%20Dillard%20attending%20sept%2023b.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave

As I START my FART :ohboy:, I'd like announce a slight change in our photo contest.

1. As always, when you check in at the hotel, please SIGN in on the additional FART SIGN IN SHEET and INCLUDE the odometer reading of whatever got you to Dillard. :beer::read:

2. Remember to submit a group photo from your FART by 5pm Friday to be eligible for Kinsley's World Famous Friday Night Dinner Dingerâ„¢ contest. Your photo will get you a entry to the winner winner chicken dinner dinner Dinger contest.

Email photos to: startfarting@gamil.com

3. This year, Kinsley and I have acquired a $25 gift certificate from Bob's BMW! If you'd like to win this, you'll need to submit more than just a generic parking lot photo. We will award this to the best series of photos that chronicle or illustrate a good FART. We'll be looking for photos of you/your bike/group/scenic and otherwise. While the parking lot wind down time is invaluable to a good FART, we're more interested in photos of the areas you've passed and visited (maybe even farted in) during your daily rides.

These should also be submitted to startfarting@gmail.com

See you all in Dillard!

Edited by Indy Dave

I would like to clarify the odometer reading for the contest. We want the total miles on the motorcycles present no matter how they got to FART or who put those miles on it.

Mark (Marcopolo) and I are heading out toward WV at 06:30 AM tomorrow and then heading south on some of their great, curvey, 2 lane roads. Based on weather, etc will attempt to get more than 1/2 way to Dillard. Peter (Twisty Guy) has to work Tuesday morning but may be joining us at our yet undetermined overnight stop on Tuesday for the ride to Dillard on Wednesday. :clap:

Looking forward to seeing everyone Wednesday night! :thumbsup:

After vacillating over the weather for the past 2 weeks, I've decided that we are IN for FART.

I picked up the F700GS Saturday, and rode it home from just south of Nashville. I would have like to find something nearer, but an F700GS with low suspension is hard to find. Being able to flatfoot a bike that is 160 pounds lighter than my RT is a tremendous confidence booster. So, after spending many hours detailing and cleaning my 1999RT over the past week, I've decided to keep it at home where it will stay pristine, and ride up on the GS. If anybody wants to take a look at the RT, it's only ~70 miles from Dillard to our place, on the west side of Dahlonega.

Just in case the weather sucks, my wife will be following in a car, so she can visit the antique malls in Dillard, or find other ways to entertain herself. Rain or shine, we're thinking of driving up to Franklin for dinner at Caffe REL (about 16 miles from Dillard) Saturday night. We will have room for two passengers, if anybody is interested in car travel.

If you have never eaten at Caffe REL, it's a real find — a French bistro in downtown Franklin, adjacent to the Hot Spot gas station. There is a sign inside the front door: "If you have a reservation, you are at the wrong place." Also no plastic; cash only. On a Saturday, expect a ~30-60 minute wait. You can buy beer/wine at the adjacent gas station to pass the time.

Caffe-Rel-4.jpg

Great food at reasonable prices, but don't even think about it if you are on a low-cholesterol diet, as they use lage quantities of heavy cream and butter in almost everything.

Have a good ride and good luck with the weather. Hopefully your wet weather gear performs better than at the Un! See you wednesday.

Well, mine should perform better, Dave. I returned my EnduroGuard suit for a full refund, and bought the new Rallye suit to replace it. That means I'm back to the traditional rain gear, and it looks like I'll need to have that on first thing tomorrow morning.

Cafe Rel is wonderful. Selden told me about it years ago and I've been several times. Selden, I'll take one of the passenger seats if ok.

I have you down for 2 Selden, glad you're going to join us! New bike sounds promising!

I had a great, but wet start to my FART yesterday. A couple of water crossings as gravel roads washed out here and there. Nothing like an adventure! See you all soon and ride safe!

covered%20bridge.jpg

mill.jpg

Did someone accidentally CUT and paste the routes in the Dropbox? It now says the folder is empty.

Thanks!

I thought anyone using them would have downloaded them by now, so I deleted them...but check again now, I just restored them.

Quick change of itinerary for me. Instead of arriving Wednesday (tomorrow), I'll instead be arriving Friday afternoon. See you all soon for a much needed break in the action!

@narcosis : With an avatar photo like yours, you have no excuse for not showing up.

Seldon, you are correct on that note. I was looking very forward to seeing your new bike. Maybe another time.

FYI, I arrived at the Gateway in Dillard this afternoon and weather has cooperated so far. Visiting an old friend in Highlands tomorrow so we'll see how the weather cooperates for that. When you ride up the hill at the Gateway be ready for a sharp right turn...surprised me and I had to do a U-turn

Seems like scattered showers so I'm still optimistic that this will be a good riding week.

Thanks for the updates, Dick, I have you added for dinner, and have subtracted Burt and Narcosis. I'm sorry it's not going to work out for you guys! Burt - do me a favor and go ride this weekend up in your neck of the woods!

Safe travels -the fun starts tomorrow - see you all in Dillard!

John Ranalletta

We rode toward Blairsville on wet roads. The Richard B. Russell was wet with dense, patchy fog. Climbing 60 toward TWO from the south was a challenge with fog limiting visibility to 25-30 yards. 60 was dry and no fog from Suches to Morganton. Rain fell pretty hard from Morganton to Blairsville. Most of the ride back to Dillard was dry. The only drama was offered by Garmin that routed us over Persimmon Road that looked a little sketchy. We stopped to ask about the road ahead and were told a recent rain had "washed out the road but it was a pretty ride". No thanks.

Hi Dave,

Just checking to confirm that my son Jon, (knarf 12) has been added to the Friday dinner roster. I posted a few days ago adding him, but have not seen an updated dinner list with his name on it.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow late afternoon.

Fingers crossed for some dry roads!

The weather forecast has improved somewhat, especially Saturday. I have a class from 11:00 to 12:00 tomorrow, so I'll probably leave Dahlonega around 1:00, arriving in Dillard around 3:00. I missed START 2018 and FART 2017, so I have some catching up to do.

It's only about 70 miles, but if I take Warwoman Road east from Clayton, then 28 to Highlands, then 106 to Dillard, I can stretch it to ~100 miles: Dahlonega to Dillard

Edited by Selden

We're having a Big Great FART!

Confirmed for Dinner Friday:

Kinsley x 2

Bernie

Terryofperry

Marty

Marcopolo

6th gear

Phil B

Indy Dave

SavannahCapt

DaveCinNO

Tallman x 2

greiffster

RightSpin

Foot

twistyguy

endobobdds

SSTwin

Knarf11

SOB

Michelle

Toddfjc

BMW_Ken

Erdok

F16Viper68

Randy S

Ty Tass x 2

Mrzoom

Ron-M

Chris K

jmwms

Bob

Corey

Jon (Knarf12)

Kdeline

Id's_OK

MikeB60 x 2

Lowndes

Folkdancer

Randy

Andy R

The air is STARTing to clear in Dillard, and what a gas we had! Thanks one and all, happy trails and keep sending those photos!

Up UP and Away!

fart%20pic.jpg

Nice. Not a bad job of image manipulation, although the contrast/brightness are a little off. Where were the stones?

fart%20pic.jpg

Not being a professional photographer, I did the best my iPhone could do without trying to make any sort of adjustment to allow for excess noises from the close by rail yard and construction sites.

I also didn't allow for the effects that over stuffing myself on BBQ Ribs by 12 Bones Smoke House have on talking a picture. LOL yummy!

I found this rock formation with the word "FART" engraved in the back yard of 2 Bones Smoke House in Asheville, NC during FART 2018. This isn't photoshopped.

Warning: The following picture is quiet violent and possible offensive. :rofl:

h3HUcW0.jpg

I think I saw a half roll of masking tape fall out of Bernie's ‘stitch. :dontknow:

Ohh . . I see it now! Good catch!