IGNORED

Oceanside (SanDiego) ride pics again

Redman

Am back for another visit, after birth (with serious complications, okay now) of daughter & SIL's first child.

Had great first meeting of the little one, two weeks old.

I also took opportunity to explain to the kiddo about the difference between H-D and BMW. That is the responsability of grandparents, right? To explain things to the kid (even if the parents do not agree). Right?

xqXtg8R.jpg

JMVaR0p.jpg

THis visit we do have different prioritys than previous visits. But I do intend to get out for some rides, although fewer and shorter.

Oceanside pier, from the Strand Rd.

aqkbpa2.jpg

S6 going up Palomar

2BVbZrh.jpg

S7 going down

wTHr9sJ.jpg

the southern end start of Wildcat Canyon road, 11 miles of curves.

VaF4W28.jpg

Old Julian Hwy

R8miCzr.jpg

u65R3Cd.jpg

Maybe get in one more ride.

Today may be a good day for it.

Just less than 60 degrees and heavy overcast, perdicted high of 64, so probably not many tourist or other riders out on such a terrible awfull horrible day. (by San Diego standards).

Edited by Redman

Last visit I was on CA76 looking for Pala-Temecula road and didnt find it..

With Bill Walkers advise and fine recommendation, and with looking at more detailed map, I found it this time (it doesnt intersect with CA76, have to go into Pala to find it).

thuumIG.jpg

A lot of climbing up with twistys looking down into the valley.

OS4j1wZ.jpg

Then into Temequla. For a while I was thinking that was a mistake, too much suburbia, but CA79 did not take long to get out into this

IagAvOh.jpg

Edited by Redman

Got to Santa Ysable, and got something quick and small for lunch.

Took a better accounting of my progress, and when I should get back.

Looked like my late start that morning was now not going to allow me to get to the other side of Julian.

Have seen the Mesa Grande Rd on the map before, and have heard other folks mention it, have gone past it a few times.

So decided that I could start to head back but also take the Mesa Grande Rd and then will be back before traffic gets too bad back in suburbia.

Wow!

Mesa Grande ! !

Pictures dont do it justice.

Is about 10 miles up, and then about 4 miles down in tight twisty, quite deserving of the "tight, twisty, treacherous" notation on the SanDiego Owners Club map.

DtXcN3e.jpg

IDGPlRV.jpg

hNq92jj.jpg

BLuIF2W.jpg

Mesa Grande

That goes on my list of the top roads to go on out here.

Can easly be incorporated into ride from Palomar to Santa Ysabel/Julian.

Quick short ride, for Stabil and top off the tank.

Swung bye the beach again (same as first ride).

CAw3t0R.jpg

Stopped bye the pier to see whats happining.

Guys jumping out ov vans with surfboards. GUys walking from nearby condos(?) with surfbaords, some walking back.

A couple street musicians sitting around. Other folks sitting around that look like they hang out there a lot.

Folks walking dogs.

And tourist stopping to take pictures.

I7osdjo.jpg

Bike now back in corner of daughters garage. <>

good times. maybe one of these days i'll get down there and have bill show me around.

and/or start with the map (pdf) that can be found on San Diego BMW MC Owners Club site main page

https://www.bmwocsd.org/

Will be almost 600 miles for you, Sonoma COunty to San Diego area.

(gee, if I went 600 miles south, that would be about 4 states)

Here is my version of that map of intersting roads outside of San DIego, (I modified the map some, only to fit better on 8 1/2 x11)

HGezaYv.jpg

{{Note: THe location of the saturday and sunday breakfast location has changed some, see newsletter. Breakfast 8am. THe stated 915 time is the "New Member Ride" on 3rd Sunday.}}

Edited by Redman
..... ... ... .... ... maybe one of these days i'll get down there and have bill show me around.

Talk to him about it while at Weaverville this weekend.