IGNORED

Good deed of the day

Steve1962

So today I was driving back from a heavy two and a half hour meeting, bowling along the A44 that runs north from Oxford, and just before the village of Enstone I come across a Suzuki GSXR on it's side by the road, with the rider desperately trying to pick it up.

Having pulled over, I went over to give him a hand as he was struggling - this was because he was trying to pull the bike (he'd only just filled it up with fuel too) up, but was not succeeding as he was standing uphill from it and yanking at the handlebar to no avail.

Now I'm no strapping specimen of a bloke, but I know how to pick a bike up (previous experience) so asked him politely to stop - he was a bit frustrated, mainly because his pride was somewhat dented. So, I went round to the other side, grabbed the handlebar with my left hand and pulled it inwards whilst squatting down to park my backside against the seat so I could walk it upright, and with his help we got the bike upright and onto the sidestand.

Checking the bike over, it had a broken brake lever (end piece snapped off), grazed bar end, and some scratches on the lower right side fairing by the engine.

He'd been riding on a day off, and was doing a slow turn road in the side road but leant over without quite enough speed on the camber and toppled over.

I told him not to worry, as the bike was rideable, and he was upright and breathing rather than lying in the road, and that he wasn't the first rider to do this, nor would he be the last.

With that we shook hands, I wished him a good trip home, and got back in the car to head off back to work for the rest of the day.

Steve

Nice work!

Thanks Gordon,

I really felt for the bloke once he'd told me how it happened - I told him I had toppled over on my 1150GS some years ago with my wife on the back in front of other UKGSER forum riders whilst out on a group ride in Yorkshire - I discovered the hard way that my legs weren't long enough and hadn't spotted the camber on the road - over went the bike (wife hopped off) and it was fully laden with panniers and top box, and thankfully the crash bars saved the day.

To this day I don't know how I picked that bike up on my own, but I did.

Hopefully this chap will not be too bothered by todays events, and will just chalk it off as one of those things.

Steve

Good on you Steve!

Hey Marty,

How are you doing?

It's about time you sampled some more of our british summertime weather..........

Marty Hill

All is well. Rode for 3 weeks in east Europe last sept. No plan for this year...yet. About your wx, last time there I ended up renting a car for a few days. Left the motorbike chained in front of the hotel.

All is well. Rode for 3 weeks in east Europe last sept. No plan for this year...yet. About your wx, last time there I ended up renting a car for a few days. Left the motorbike chained in front of the hotel.

Marty,

Beemer riders don't care what the weather does..................though I must admit it was "rather inclement" when you came.

Steve

Marty Hill

At least the sun returned when I visited the airfield to see all the WW2 planes. Had a great time chatting with a couple of pilots who flew them over Germany.