IGNORED

Garmin Express - Nav V Update Issue

Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

So I went to update my BMW Nav 5 with Garmin Express (using the Garmin supplied cable) and it doesn't recognize that it's connected to my Microsoft Surface laptop. Any others experience this? Any suggestions?

As per Garmin Express I tried a different USB port and a different cable to no avail.

So I went to update my BMW Nav 5 with Garmin Express (using the Garmin supplied cable) and it doesn't recognize that it's connected to my Microsoft Surface laptop. Any others experience this? Any suggestions?

As per Garmin Express I tried a different USB port and a different cable to no avail.

Morning davidtn

Can your laptop see either drive on your GPS (in my computer) or is it just a Garmin Express linking thing?

Can your laptop see a thrumb drive when plugged into the USB port?

Morning davidtn

Can your laptop see either drive on your GPS (in my computer) or is it just a Garmin Express linking thing?

Can your laptop see a thrumb drive when plugged into the USB port?

+1 KIS

Try a reboot of the computer if it lives it life in stand-by mode

Try another computer if it is available

Try a different USB cable. ( I find a bad cable or two every year in my collection).

If it is a dead port are you comfortable digging into device manager? Assuming that you are using a Windows OS.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Garmin devices seem to be more sensitive than others to a clean USB connection. Agree with the cable note above.

had a similar issue a few months ago...When I would plug the V in Windows 10 would try to open the V versus going through Garmin Express. Once I closed the device in windows, express worked. It still does it every once in a while. I talked to Garmin live and they kept thinking cable or pc....well after 3 garmin cables I had and 3 pc's with no other issues...finally realized it was not a hardware issue.

I've had the same issue. I have found that it can take up to 5 minutes for the Nav V to finally connect to the Garmin Express program (I'm running a Mac with High Sierra 10.13.4). I'll frequently plug it in, then leave for a while. When I return, it's connected.

I've had the same issue. I have found that it can take up to 5 minutes for the Nav V to finally connect to the Garmin Express program (I'm running a Mac with High Sierra 10.13.4). I'll frequently plug it in, then leave for a while. When I return, it's connected.

Yup. Same thing happens to me, with my Nav VI, and my Mac. Takes quite some time for the Nav and SD card to be recognized, and for Garmin Express to be able to communicate with the device. Whether any of that applies to a PC, who knows.

Bill_Walker

Me, too, with the Nav VI and a Mac. My Garmin Edge 500 bicycle computer and my Zumo 660 show up in less than 30 seconds, but the Nav VI takes minutes, if it shows up at all. Sometimes rebooting the computer seems to help. What seemed to help the last time was turning the GPS off and then on while it was connected to the Mac. Tried different cables and different USB ports, and there's no rhyme or reason to which combination will work. Garmin has been no help at all.

Dave Stephens

*UPDATE*

Success! - Was able to update using an older model Dell running Windows 7. Go figure. It'd be nice if Garmin would update the hardware possibilities for using Garmin Express.

I don't think that you can blame Garmin for anything here. I had read your post from the start, and thought that the problem was between your device and your computer, possibly the cable, but probably the computer itself. You have just confirmed it! Somehow, your computer refused to identify your Nav V, when it is connected. Incidentally, I run 64 bits Windows 10 Pro, and have nevr had any issues with my Nav V.

Bill_Walker

And here's my reply from Garmin support regarding the slow-or-never connection of my Nav VI:

"Unfortunately this would be normal for the device to take a few moments to connect [in a previous email, they suggested leaving it connected for at least 3 minutes - BW]. There is nothing we can do to speed up the connection process, this is how the components are designed and function."

My Nav II didn't have any problem. Nor do my Zumo 660, my Oregon 450, or my Edge 500. I'd say somebody at Garmin screwed up their hardware design, if this isn't something that can be fixed in software.

I went to update my Nuvi 3590LM on Sat (5-26-18) and had trouble getting Express to recognize the unit, tried several cables, left it connected for hours, nothing seemed to work Then I found out somehow there was an update to Express to 6.4.0.0. because of the E.U. DAFA laws (GDPR) on 5-25-18. After updating Express everything went swimmingly. So, check your version of Garmin Express for best results.

My Express app was 6.3.0.0 and no push notifications were sent to update. I run this on a win 7 machine and all worked well so I had not manually checked for an update for some time, but did so this AM and what do ya know the superseding version 6.4.0.0 was offered. Not sure if this version helps with Win 8, 10, or Apple iOS machines, but tonight I will see if it goofed my perfectly working combo I just overwrote. You Win Vista folks are on your own though, nothing can save you!

Paul,

I'm on Win 8.1 and also never got any update message. Just thought to look for one for some strange reason. Garmin seems to be just a little odd with the way they do things, just not the norm, kinda quirky in my experience. Their customer service on the phone has always been EXCELLENT for me, tho.

greiffster
Garmin seems to be just a little odd with the way they do things, just not the norm, kinda quirky in my experience.

:rofl: Good one. I've changed it to the sarcastic font color.

greiffster
And here's my reply from Garmin support regarding the slow-or-never connection of my Nav VI:

"Unfortunately this would be normal for the device to take a few moments to connect [in a previous email, they suggested leaving it connected for at least 3 minutes - BW]. There is nothing we can do to speed up the connection process, this is how the components are designed and function."

My Nav II didn't have any problem. Nor do my Zumo 660, my Oregon 450, or my Edge 500. I'd say somebody at Garmin screwed up their hardware design, if this isn't something that can be fixed in software.

Interesting. I've never been able to get my Zumo 450 to connect on my Mac. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. :dontknow:

I haven't had any problems connecting either the Zumo 550, Zumo 590 or the Nav 6 to my MacBook Pro.

When the last update happened, there was some extra steps, probably due to the new privacy agreement.

But after agreeing to the terms, it was smooth sailing.

Bill_Walker

My issues have nothing to do with the device connecting to Garmin Express or Garmin BaseCamp. It just doesn't mount as a mass storage device on the computer the way it's supposed to. Normally, this happens regardless of whether any Garmin software is running.

Bill_Walker

And I got a further response from Garmin support, after pointing out (per the list I posted above) that none of my older Garmin devices have this problem:

"These devices use different components than older devices and function differently. I will not be able to provide you with specifics as to why it is this way.

The device functioning as designed and there is nothing further we can do to correct this. Any replacement device is going to do the same thing. Unfortunately this is something you will need to adjust to when using the product."

I think somebody specified the wrong USB chip.