IGNORED

Looking at '94 r1100rs

tfrasca

Hi.

So, I am going to look at a 94 RS this weekend. So far, this is what I know: It hasn't been run in 5-6 years, and the gas smells bad. Other than that, it looks complete. The main selling point is that it's $500.

My first and only bike has been a '76 CB550, so I know very little about oilheads, shaft drives, ABS, etc. From what I've read, these engines are fairly bulletproof, so I don't expect a problem there. But perhaps a bad transmission, given its early model year? I won't be able to get it running before I buy, so I'll be rolling the dice a bit.

Any advice on things I should look out for? Any wiring harness issues that would be visible in a visual inspection?

Thanks for any input. I'm really hoping it works out!

Count on new fuel pump, hoses, isolator, screen, clamps, 1 set of metal quick connects for the fuel line, battery, oil, filter, gear oil, brake lines probably, new tires, minimum new front master, possible rear master. Measure the brake rotors, aftermarket are avail.

AND it's a '94 so when it idles, it will sound like a dry clutch Ducati rattling away.

Harmless tho.

Pull the seat off, the top of the air filter box, look for signs of rodent nests, rodent chewing on wires.

If any sign of above, politely say no and walk away.

Cracked handgrips

How many miles on it ?

Ahhhhhh,,,,,,,

Edited by Tri750
szurszewski

Any chance you could hook up a jump pack and and at least see if it powers up with the key? For $500 you can't really go wrong as you could make that back selling it as a known non-runner/parts bike, especially assuming you'll be getting a valid title.

Where are you located? Maybe someone who does know could go with you.

Count on new fuel pump, hoses, isolator, screen, clamps, 1 set of metal quick connects for the fuel line, battery, oil, filter, gear oil, brake lines probably, new tires, minimum new front master, possible rear master. Measure the brake rotors, aftermarket are avail.

AND it's a '94 so when it idles, it will sound like a dry clutch Ducati rattling away.

Harmless tho.

Pull the seat off, the top of the air filter box, look for signs of rodent nests, rodent chewing on wires.

If any sign of above, politely say no and walk away.

Cracked handgrips

How many miles on it ?

Ahhhhhh,,,,,,,

Oh, it has 24,000 miles on it. I'm counting on freshening up the fuel system, at a minimum. And new tires,of course. Good advice to pull the seat off, I'll look around for obvious signs of wiring issues.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the idle. That would have been a bummer to finally get it running and think it needed to be torn apart.

Any chance you could hook up a jump pack and and at least see if it powers up with the key? For $500 you can't really go wrong as you could make that back selling it as a known non-runner/parts bike, especially assuming you'll be getting a valid title.

Where are you located? Maybe someone who does know could go with you.

Here's a really dumb question. I'm assuming the bike's electrical system is 12v. Any harm in temporarily hooking up to my car battery?

szurszewski

Shouldn't be any harm and yes it's a modern 12v system , but you will likely find it hard to get full size jumper cables onto the battery/battery connections. At key-on it will run the fuel pump a few seconds (or should) but I don't know that'd I'd want to suck whatever is in the tank into the fuel pump. Like I said above, for $500 I'd just put it on the trailer, and I'd dump and clean the tank and then try to power it up.

Edit: if you don't already have a lithium jump pack, this might be a good excuse to buy one. $60 at Costco or Walmart and under $100 everywhere.

Edited by szurszewski

So I went at looked at it this morning, but the seller wasn't there with the key. Not much I could see without removing the seat and stuff. I did notice a decent oil leak on the left cylinder, which appears to be the base gasket. Not a huge deal, but I'm hoping it's not so bad that I can't put it off until I ride it a bit. From what I could see of the wiring, it all looks stock and I couldn't see any weird splices or other hackery. I'll go back with the key and a jump pack this weekend and see what happens.

Oh, the front master cylinder/lever perch is cracked, so that'll need to be replaced before riding. Just pushing it around in the driveway, the front and rear brakes feel solid, as though there's no air in the system. Also, the rubber isolated bars feel terrible! I think I'd want solid mounted bars ASAP.

Other than that, it seems solid enough that I can justify the expense, and more importantly, the extra project. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Ok.

Go re-read what Tri said.

Now, add some more stuff, it will happen (you've identified more problems).

You said something about leak not bad so you could ride it, hopefully.

Please don't take this wrong...

This might be a really good bike.

Might be a really good deal.

But. determine its worth. $2-4,000 if running correctly w/out issues.

So, $500, plus $$$$$$$$ = ????

If I had the time, money, interest, I'd buy it, rebuild it and enjoy it.

You sound like you're looking for a bike to ride, now.

This isn't it.

I love the oilhead RS/RSL's .

Beautiful, fun to ride, capable of anything an RT can do and more.

Does it have bags?

That is another big expense.

There are running examples out there for what it will coast you to put this one right.

But, if you do rebuild it(yes, rebuild not get it running) you'll have a known baseline, the experience to maintain it properly, and a bike that will last for al ong, long time.

Best wishes.

Ok.

Go re-read what Tri said.

Now, add some more stuff, it will happen (you've identified more problems).

You said something about leak not bad so you could ride it, hopefully.

Please don't take this wrong...

This might be a really good bike.

Might be a really good deal.

But. determine its worth. $2-4,000 if running correctly w/out issues.

So, $500, plus $$$$$$$$ = ????

If I had the time, money, interest, I'd buy it, rebuild it and enjoy it.

You sound like you're looking for a bike to ride, now.

This isn't it.

I love the oilhead RS/RSL's .

Beautiful, fun to ride, capable of anything an RT can do and more.

Does it have bags?

That is another big expense.

There are running examples out there for what it will coast you to put this one right.

But, if you do rebuild it(yes, rebuild not get it running) you'll have a known baseline, the experience to maintain it properly, and a bike that will last for al ong, long time.

Best wishes.

Ok, I guess I should have mentioned my "goal" for the bike. I had no desire for one of these until a friend of mine needed to sell this one that he inherited from his late father. I thought I'd help him out, and maybe end up with a bike I enjoyed, and a project. Then I looked into the bikes more and got to like the idea of a long distance road trip bike. I'll be selling my CB, which will more than fund the BMW project.

That said, I also have a much bigger project in an old car of mine, so I'm not looking to fully restore the BMW any time soon. But I'm pretty confident I can get the bike running safely with minimal investment, then check off the smaller things down the road.

And yes, it comes with a top mounted bag.

Bags, he means saddlebags.

What CB ya selling ? Watcha got ?

Running safely with minimal investment.

This makes me wince,

And only because I worked at the "dreaded" dealer for 13yr and many times heard the same hopeful comment while looking at a bike on a trailer covered in cobwebs.

Caliper kits, (please don't split the calipers, just use compressed air to remove the pistons, new oil level sight glass, front brake switch as seeping fluid has probably eaten yours away, air filter, fairing screws, alternator belt.

And, it will still be a '94 RS.

Hopefully red, not pearl with a turquoise seat.

BUT all that being said , if you get it, I and others here would be happy to offer whatever suggestions or advice you want.

When you go see it again, feel free to give a ring if you see anything weird or if the muffler is full of Purina and you wish to know why.

Al

559-288-1490

Old K bikes are worse because they almost always require a new oil/water pump in addition to the laundry list for the RS.

Yeah, no side bags, just the top hard bag/box thing.

I've got a 76 CB550 that I found in WAY worse condition than this RS I'm looking at, and turned it into a daily rider for a couple years. It's by no means a show bike, but a reliable runner that still gets comments every time I ride it. The market seems like it'll support around $2k for that bike. Which honestly, seems crazy to me.

MOTOFOG-8115.jpg?format=1500w

I also bought a '68 Volvo 142 that hadn't run in 15 years, rebuilt a Volvo turbo engine from the 90's, and swapped it into the 142 with a transmission from a Mustang. That's a story for a different forum, but my point is that I like bit of a project.

I understand everyone's concern that I'll either get in over my head and end up unhappy with the bike, or that I'll cut corners in an effort to save a few dollars, and end up putting an unsafe bike back on the road. I just don't think those are likely outcomes. I also have a friend at a BMW dealer, who's been a pretty good resource so far. I'll go pop the seat off this weekend and get a better look, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the bike. If I get it home and decide it's going to take more work than I thought, then it just becomes a slightly longer term project.

Oh, and unfortunately it's pearl white, which I'm diametrically opposed to in basically any form. The saving grace is that the seat is the appropriate color: black.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. Al, you just may be getting a call from a Santa Cruz number.

Bags, he means saddlebags.

What CB ya selling ? Watcha got ?

Running safely with minimal investment.

This makes me wince,

And only because I worked at the "dreaded" dealer for 13yr and many times heard the same hopeful comment while looking at a bike on a trailer covered in cobwebs.

Caliper kits, (please don't split the calipers, just use compressed air to remove the pistons, new oil level sight glass, front brake switch as seeping fluid has probably eaten yours away, air filter, fairing screws, alternator belt.

And, it will still be a '94 RS.

Hopefully red, not pearl with a turquoise seat.

BUT all that being said , if you get it, I and others here would be happy to offer whatever suggestions or advice you want.

When you go see it again, feel free to give a ring if you see anything weird or if the muffler is full of Purina and you wish to know why.

Al

559-288-1490

Old K bikes are worse because they almost always require a new oil/water pump in addition to the laundry list for the RS.

Sounds like a great project and I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out. I think when you buy a bike expecting to make a couple of repairs and be out cruising in a week, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and be tempted to take the easy / fast way to get her fixed up. But if you buy a bike knowing it is a project, already have a bike to cruise with, then it's a whole different situation. I'm guessing you are expecting a project and will do the necessary (and a few preventative) repairs at a nice easy pace and end up with a beauty of an RS.

And another thing...I like the pearl white color on the oilhead RS! Dave

Sam Taylor

+1 on the Pearl White. Mine lasted and looked great for a decade. In fact, it got better with age. It was a tough paint.

But also agree that the teal seat had to go. Back in 94, I had a dealer who was old-school-cool, and found a way to swap the gray/black seat off of a red one for me as a favor.

Do dealers like that still exist?

Mines silver pearl coat and used to have the teal seat. I had it replaced with a Russell and then I find out that the teal seat is a rare sought after item. Wonder what a mint condition R1100RSL with only 8K miles is worth? Been thinking of giving up motorcycling altogether.

It sounds like you can't go wrong for the price based on the worth of the spare parts. Make sure it can roll and stop safely, and do the cleanup/tuneup you're planning and see what you have. The failure of some parts are inevitable on this bike as mentioned, but they don't typically happen all at once. Have fun!