IGNORED

Shoei RF1200

RPG

I have a RF1100 that I love but it's getting old and I'm starting to look at the RF1200. My brother in law has one but its a size smaller so i can't try it on.

So I get on the chat line with Revzilla and the associate has me convinced that my current XL sized 1100 doesn't equate to a XL 1200.

In his opinion the 1200 is built for a much smaller head and he tried steering me to a different Shoei model.

Has anyone found a problem going from a 1100 to a 1200, in terms of size? And aren't there adjustble cheekpads, etc., available?

Thanks,

RPG

I've been a Shoei fan for over 20 years and have always purchased a size L. When I moved up to an RF1200 from an RF1100 I had no problems staying with that size. The fit seemed identical to me.

Lone_RT_rider

Sidenote related to Shoei:

I have been a fan of the X11 and X12. When my last helmet got old I decided that I would look at other models in the Shoei line as well. I automatically looked at the RF 1200 series and found it to be "ok". I then took a look at the RF-SR. I tried on the helmet in the XL when I normally buy a 2XL and fell in love. I have never been so happy with a helmet from Shoei in the 16 years I have been wearing them.

Moral of the story? Don't get in a rut. Try on everything you can. You may be surprised with the new offerings. :)

Shawn

I have been using RF1200s now since they started, whenever that was.

I don't know what size I use, but I found out at some time long ago that my helmet was "dangerously too loose".

I believe I'm now wearing the L, and it is extremely tight. It fits like a glove. What I saw, maybe from Revzilla also was that most people wear a helmet too large. There is supposed to be no possible movement of the helmet on the head.

I suppose I could say I'm between sizes with the Shoei. But rather than go with the BMW approved brand (more expensive of course) I just went with the large with fits really tight.

The BMW brand did fit looser, but trying the tightness test, it proved to be too loose. Dangerously loose was what the test showed. In a crash it would come off.

And I have been all happy and content with the RF1200.

dc

Have a RF1100 and love it. When the 1200 came out I immediately tried one in the same XXL size and was not happy so I picked up another XXL RF1100 on kept it stored away. Now I have a backup . That following year at the international MC show and again at Americade I asked the Shoei Rep if the head shape of the 1200 was the same as the 1100 and both times was told it was not the same intermediate oval shape.

Sidenote related to Shoei:

I have been a fan of the X11 and X12. When my last helmet got old I decided that I would look at other models in the Shoei line as well. I automatically looked at the RF 1200 series and found it to be "ok". I then took a look at the RF-SR. I tried on the helmet in the XL when I normally buy a 2XL and fell in love. I have never been so happy with a helmet from Shoei in the 16 years I have been wearing them.

Moral of the story? Don't get in a rut. Try on everything you can. You may be surprised with the new offerings. :)

Shawn

thanks Shawn, Actually, I believe that's the model the Revzilla associate recommended. I'll try it.

RPG

Just got the Shoei Neotec 1 (modular) on sale ($519). Reading this thread got me interested. Had the LS2, very similar to this Shoei. This Shoei is LIGHT!! They have up to 4XL!! I have the "Long Oval" head shape and the 2XL fits perfectly. The ONLY thing I miss is the quick release chin strap from the LS2.

I've got one of those quick disconnects on my HJC helmet and it is kind of crap. I also have a Lazer Monaco helmet with an OEM micro latch and it is soooo much better!

Edited by AZgman
Lone_RT_rider
I've got one of those quick disconnects on my HJC helmet and it is kind of crap. I also have a Lazer Monaco helmet with an OEM micro latch and it is soooo much better!

You must have a different measurable of what "crap" is than I do. It attaches every time. I've been down with the latch and smacked my helmet dead on the pavement in 2013 with no failure. It's easy to attach and dis-attach each time for me. If that defines functionality as "crap"....I'll be using that term more often as criteria for purchases.