IGNORED

Metzler Marathon 888

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

I'm heading out for all of July on a 9-10,000 mile trip and do not want to mess with changing tires. I've been looking at the 888 as a long distance tire that gives up some of the sporting features of some tires that wear quicker. At my age, I no longer play Johnny racer in the corners and mainly tour blue highways. Has anyone tried the 888? I'd appreciate your feedback. So far, I have not found one in the 180/55 zr 17 size. Will call around tomorrow.

Bob

I think you can only get the 888 in a 200/55 17 size. I've been contemplating it for my Concours 14 for the same reasons. I read reports that these are a hard compound not suitable for cold or wet climates. Some went as far as pulling them off. I live in Texas and we have chip seal paving that burns up tires like crazy an I avoid rain. I used four or five of these in bias ply version on my old Concours 10 and got about 8K miles out of them. I have never tried the PR4 GT, but everyone seems to rave about them. I think that is what you want or maybe the Perelli Angel GT.

Edited by SmokinRZ

I ran PR4GTs on my 2008 RT and they were outstanding. Typically got ~10K out of them, and they are outstanding in the rain.

Highly recommended.

I also have been getting between 10K and 14K on sets of PR4GTs although the last 2K or so miles are not enjoyable in the curvy stuff. No experience with the ME888 but if your going to cover 10K miles you will encounter wet/cold/curvy conditions and will need the best handling tire available. A new set of PR4GTs should do that distance and most shops get through travelers in and out fairly quick if you need a new rear.

MichiganBob

I have PR 3's on right now. Will put on pr4's just before I leave and it should be okay for the trip. Thanks for your feedback. What do you consider a reasonable fee for mounting and balancing. I bring the wheel in to the shop.

MichiganBob

Good afternoon

I'm thinking of just changing the back putting on the pilot four I still have a lot of miles left on the pilot 3 front. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Bob

Call around - my local BMW dealer had a sale on my last set which almost matched Jake Wilson's on price and mounted/balanced for free on dismounted rims. Cycle Gear is another source.

Bob, I ran Metzeler 888 tires on my Honda Pacific Coast when I rode to Alaska in 2006 (11,000 miles). I had to get new rubber in Denver at the ~9000 mile mark.

My previous PR3 rear lasted more than 12,000 miles; the next one was toast after 8,000 miles. I have no idea why the difference. I just Pirelli Angel GTs on my 1999RT. They come in the 160/60ZR-18 rear tire size, as I had one mounted yesterday.

Lone_RT_rider
I just Pirelli Angel GTs on my 1999RT. They come in the 160/60ZR-18 rear tire size, as I had one mounted yesterday.

Selden, I'm not going to talk mileage numbers as my right hand gives me much lower numbers than most. But, I will say this. I absolutely love the Angel GT's in almost every respect except one. They gave me about 70% of the wear that they PR4's have on the past. The number was low enough that I stopped using them and went back to PR4's.

YMMV.......literally. ;)

I'll find out how the Pirellis hold up in about a year. If I remember correctly, the PR4 isn't available in an 18" rear, which is why I had a PR3.

I just checked my maintenance spreadsheet, and the tire before the PR3 was a PR2, which delivered 13,916 miles, compared with 7,720 for the PR3. The PR3 was thoroughly worn out, to the point where the center tread could easily be pushed in with a finger.

Weird.