IGNORED

Advice needed for dead duck 1200GSW

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Went to ride this morning and the bike is electrically dead. Probably my fault for leaving fob in tank bag for two weeks which I assume will drain the battery. If that makes sense, let me know.

Voltage at the charger pigtail is ca. 4.86v.

I connected the battery tender. The red light glows steadily for a few minutes, then the green flashes indicating charge level 80% plus....no way.

Any advice you can offer appreciated.

TIA

John, not sure the nature of your problem, but liquid cooled GS has a different forum. Maybe a mod can move this.

Lone_RT_rider

John,

If memory serves me right, 4.86 volts is no where near the minimum that the Battery tender needs to see before it can initiate a charge cycle. The number of 9.8 volts comes to mind, but that may not be correct. I think you are going to have to get a true batter charger with a 2 amp straight charge to get that thing up to at least 10 volts before the tender can take over.

Just going from memory here.....

Shawn

Dennis Andress

Early Volkswagen's with keyless entry drain their battery if they are not locked and the key out of range.

John Ranalletta

It lives. The battery tender did the trick. Got home about 11p last night & voltage was ca. 13.2 but didn't try to start it. Started up ok this AM.

What year bike,original battery?

Try not to let it discharge again,that will lead to early battery death.

Many modern AGM batteries seem to go south at 3 plus yrs.,if you are close to that,maybe consider a replacement.

I got just at 3 yrs battery life out of the stock short battery on my 14 GSA.

Replaced it with a full size Deka from East Penn battery here in USA.

JR356