IGNORED

Hi-viz Vest

CrashTestMedic

CrashTestMedic

Just back in the saddle after an 18 month break as a result of a pretty horrific rear end collision. I'd like to get a simple hi-viz vest, mainly for peace of mind for my family, but perhaps it will help keep a truck from punting me as well.

I have seen a lot of so-so looking vests on the interwebs, hard to tell quality and reviews aren't the best. I'm thinking I could achieve the same result with a trip to Harbor Freight or Rural King and spend a lot less money.

Do you all have suggestions for a bargain vest I could slip on over a riding jacket that can deal with wind, excessive sun, etc?

Edited by idcdork
Oldironken

If it is just about visibility i would start with cheap and see how it goes. I wear a high-vis jacket and helmet all the time.

Define bargain.

I wore them, sure it helped.

Have an Olympia HiViz size XL that is available.

PM if interested.

BoisePilot

I bought my HI Viz vest at a store that specializes in clothing for construction workers. It is about 3 years old and seems to be good for several more. Can't say if it has helped but it sure hasn't hurt. I bought it because my wife who isn't into motorcycles at all commented on how she noticed how they stood out in traffic. That seem like a good endorsement to me.

I wear a hi-viz Tourmaster Transition 2 and a white Shoei Neotec II and have on numerous occasions recently noticed drivers who, barely glancing, start a lane change and aborting before I blew my horn. I would like to believe it's the jacket and helmet.

CrashTestMedic

Thanks for the tips! From my experience hi-viz is a no brainer accessory to defensive riding. Who knows if it would have spared me 9 broken bones, a lost career, and a compacted RT but I don't think it will hurt to try.

I wear a US XL or XXL T-shirt which makes finding jackets, at least in retail stores, a pain. I have a decent black summer jacket that I'd love to throw a vest over.

My fear with the supermarket vests is that they'll flap around and be a pain but the construction outfitter may have a solution, if I can find one...

greiffster

Check out The Vest Guy

They make vests for all kinds of applications. ie. They supply USA Cycling motorrefs and commissairs with vests.

Yeah, they're probably not a "bargain" vest, but they got some good stuff.

BoisePilot

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my HIViz vest is mesh not solid material. It has never flapped in the wind and seems to stick to anything I put it over. The brand is Carhartt and available on line. When it wears out I intend to replace it with one exactly like it.

Edited by BoisePilot

PM sent

I also have big guy jackets/pants Draggin Jeans available.

38 Tall pants

2XL XL jackets

Joe Frickin' Friday

You might also consider adding some patches of hi-viz to your bike:

2012-08-dances-with-cows-too-024-L.jpg

I have this in addition to a hi-viz jacket.

You might also consider adding some patches of hi-viz to your bike:

2012-08-dances-with-cows-too-024-L.jpg

I have this in addition to a hi-viz jacket.

Where can I buy that? Link?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Where can I buy that? Link?

2013-09-dances-with-cows-ra-edition-006-L.jpg

They're custom. I created outlines in a CAD drawing, taped them to a sheet of hi-viz reflective tape, and then cut out the shapes.

I can't find the CAD drawings; I must have deleted them, which is mighty odd for me. The process goes like this:

-take a photo of the back end of your sidecase, with a tape measure or ruler next to it. For best results, stand far away and use maximum zoom on the camera; this minimizes perspective errors.

-put the photo in a blank CAD drawing, and adjust its size so that when you draw a line on top of the ruler in the photo, its length matches the length indicated by the ruler.

-use the CAD tools to draw an outline of the area where you want the sticker to go. I look for the edge of the sidecase in the photo and set the sticker edge to be maybe a 1/4" away from it.

-delete the photo, and print a paper copy of the outline. If you adjusted the size of photo properly, it should print at the right size.

-Cut the shape out, hold it up to your sidecase for a test fit. Any problem areas? Mark them on the cutout, make adjustments in your CAD drawing, and print again.

-when you're satisfied with the shape, print it, tape it to a sheet of reflective tape, and cut out the sticker. Stick it on your bike. Done.

The widest hi-viz reflective tape I could find at the time was 4 inches, so I had to use two strips side-by-side for each sticker; you can see the seam in the one the left. These guys have six-inch wide stuff.

Bill_Walker

Or you could just order a pre-cut set of reflective tape from Fernando. Although I don't know whether he offers hi-viz in addition to the usual "looks black in daylight, lights up white in headlights" version. Worth checking. I don't recall the URL off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's in EffBee's signature block.

These vests may be a bit pricey. I had one and replaced it when it wore out after 6 or 7 years. My second one is about shot and due for replacement. I had the one with the vertical yellow stripe over each shoulder front and back on black mesh. They tend to fray at the stitching where the mesh joins to the frame (for lack of a better term). http://www.conspicuity.us/vests.html

I've got a Conspicuity style vest. Orange on black. Works well.

But it isn't built like the Olympia is.

The Olympia is a piece of gear. Heavy duty, waterproof pockets, multiple pockets, adjustment galore, Hi Viz and retro reflective technology.

Conforms to militarystandards for wear on base.

I'll sell the Conspicuity for 1/3 the Olympia.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Or you could just order a pre-cut set of reflective tape from Fernando. Although I don't know whether he offers hi-viz in addition to the usual "looks black in daylight, lights up white in headlights" version. Worth checking. I don't recall the URL off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's in EffBee's signature block.

Here ya go:

https://motoreflective.com/

his kits are retroreflective, which is great at night - but with the exception of a few red kits the rest are black in daylight, and so may not quite fit the bill here if you're looking for fluorescent hi-viz yellow/green/orange.

EffBee also does red - advantage is that you see them all the time (day or night - like the above yellow) and not just at night (the black that shines back white at night).

IDCdork,

CONGRATULATIONS on the recovery and getting back into riding. That takes a lot of strength and courage.

I have a RADIANS safety vest # SV24-2ZGM that I've been riding with for 2.5 seasons and still going. It has reflective strips front, back, and sides, Hi-Viz yellow and orange mesh, plus pockets for several sets of earplugs. But what I like is the Velcro side adjusters that allow you to cinch it down on whatever else you are wearing underneath to keep it from flapping. Also has a stout plastic zipper front closure. $17.31 Amazon prime. Pictures here: Radians vest