IGNORED

Isle of Mann TT

twistyguy

Hey Guys,

It's that time of year again! The Isle of Mann TT is now being run and is televised on Velocity channel every night. We had a great discussion on the board last year about the race and its risk. I happened to find an incredible documentary about the Dunlop family that has changed my view about the risk of road racing. The doc is called ROAD and it's on Netflix. It's narrated by Liam Neeson. Definitely the best motorcycle documentary I've seen, maybe one of the best documentaries of any sort that I've seen! Highly, highly recommended. I loved how Michael Dunlop races before the doc--now I'm just blown away by his accomplishments after having seen the doc. Amazing family.

Peter

Just watched it. I thought I knew about the Dunlop family but now realize I knew nothing. An incredible and moving film. Thanks to twistguy for the recommendation.

That's a great youtube video! I love the camera on his throttle/brake hand--very cool. I was getting confused with the shifter camera until I realized the shift pattern for GP bikes is opposite to ours-->1 up and five down! The video also helps you appreciate how long a lap actually takes--the coverage on television is condensed. Pretty grueling race to do over 5 laps. Those guys are just warriors. Amazing.

LittleBriar

Good video. Looks like suspension set up is critical. Not exactly a smooth surface. Those guys have got big ones...

Joe Frickin' Friday
Good video. Looks like suspension set up is critical. Not exactly a smooth surface.

Pretty typical for street courses like that; the pavement is smoothed for 50MPH, not 150MPH. :grin: If you watch the IndyCars race at Belle Isle, those drivers take a beating too.

Lone_RT_rider
Good video. Looks like suspension set up is critical. Not exactly a smooth surface.

Pretty typical for street courses like that; the pavement is smoothed for 50MPH, not 150MPH. :grin: If you watch the IndyCars race at Belle Isle, those drivers take a beating too.

Especially with those

Good video. Looks like suspension set up is critical. Not exactly a smooth surface. Those guys have got big ones...

I like how smooth the video is, even from the camera mounted on the muffler; you can see the rear tire taking the brunt of it, but the camera was steady. Definitely smoother than most people holding their cellphone to capture a video.

Just amazing.

Thanks for posting the link.

Quite a few versions of that lap on YouTube.

1080p version here:

Looks a little better, but the scenery is still pretty blurred... :revit:

Joe Frickin' Friday

This was fun:

Spectators respond to the passing of bikes at Ludicrous Speed. :grin:

• 4 weeks later...
Bill_Walker
RIP William.

Saw that sad news today. I can't help but wonder if Michael will hang it up now, after losing his uncle, father, and now brother to road racing accidents (and before the haircut analyzers chime in, I know Joey was killed on a closed course, but it was one where he could go off into the trees. Not much different).

OMG--so sad. William Dunlop was prominently featured in that road racing documentary on Netflix, 'ROAD'. I don't think anything can stop the Dunlops from road racing. Micheal will go to the funeral and probably saddle up for the next scheduled race the next weekend. They are true warriors who consciously risk their lives for their passion. So tough for their familes...