IGNORED

2013 Shad top case

codan

I've bought a 90th anniversary edition R1200RT and I'm thinking about putting a Shad Top Case (or other).

I'm looking for recommendations (and pics) on a top case that is visually shaped well to go with the 'origami' fairing. Yes, looks count. I'll probably have it painted to match the bike.

Big enough for 1 helmet and some other stuff, but I'm a solo rider so don't needs lots of storage. It will probably be on the bike semi-permanently.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

I have the same bike and I'm thinking about their 50-something liter black case. I too would be interested in pics.

MichiganBob

My 2012 came with the large Shad top case. I like it a lot. Well made, dry, very roomy, Only drawback is that the previous owner lost one of the keys so there is only one. I tried to get a blank from the company but they only sell the entire tumbler mechanism. It seemed like a lot of money just to have a second key. Went to this great locksmith in town who has walls of blanks but no luck finding this one. No big deal, just annoying. Certainly not a deal breaker. I like how it fits and looks compared to the Givi and BMW top cases. A lighting kit would have been nice. I'm sure that is available.

Bob

Shad 58X or 59X. I'm very happy with my Shad 50, but the newer models are adjustable for size and have more angular styling.

banner-bauletti.jpg

The US distributor can be hard to work with, but the cases themselves are very good quality.

Edited by lkraus
MichiganBob

For Poodad. Tried to send you a private message but you are not accepting them. Please pardon this small highjack. I'm always interested in farkles. What do you have on the seat, where did you get the trunk rack, and what brand are the highway pegs. How do these items work? I'm especially interested in the highway pegs The ones I have on are okay for laying my leg on them but not for long range driving. I'd appreciate your opinion on these additions and thanks. You can respond to me via private message if you wish.

MB

Hmmm, my profile settings show private messages on.

Those are Airhawk cushions on the seats. Probably not as good as custom seats, but they let me ride for about 3 hours before my butt starts really hurting. On the torture device directly, I mean stock seat, I can do about an hour.

The trunk rack is also Shad. I discovered in yesterday's torrential rains that the rubber o ring seals do not make for a waterproof seal. I'll need to do some work on the mounting holes.

The pegs and crash bars were on the bike when I bought it. I'll ask the previous owner if he knows what brand they are.

The pegs aren't very useful for me. When I put my feet up on them, they put my body in a somewhat awkward position, and because of the plastic side panels, I have to spread my legs too much to be comfortable. After about 10 minute with my feet on the pegs, my butt muscles start cramping.

On the plus side, on long trips, putting my feet on the pegs lets me shift the pressure points on my butt, and move my legs, which feels good for a while. It also lets my wife move her feet up to the front pegs to also get a change of position for a bit.

Edited by poodad