IGNORED

Roaring noise in curves

Butthead

Last couple of rides, I have noticed a slight "Roaring noise" when going around curves. Doesn't matter the direction of the curve, and I seem to only hear it when at speeds of 30 or higher. So slow turns in parking lots etc seem no problem. I've checked the rear wheel and there is no play.

Honestly, thinking back, I guess it's always done it for the year that I've had it......but I originally thought it was wind noise (change in air flow across the windshield from the bike being at a different angle when going around curves).

Any ideas?

Tires starting to wear? My RTs tires howl once they get maybe 4K miles or so... (of course mileage wear depends on so many variables) I generally run Michelin PR series and noticed it on every one I've had.. now trying Bridgestone.

Last couple of rides, I have noticed a slight "Roaring noise" when going around curves. Doesn't matter the direction of the curve, and I seem to only hear it when at speeds of 30 or higher. So slow turns in parking lots etc seem no problem. I've checked the rear wheel and there is no play.

Honestly, thinking back, I guess it's always done it for the year that I've had it......but I originally thought it was wind noise (change in air flow across the windshield from the bike being at a different angle when going around curves).

Any ideas?

Morning Butthead

Sounds like typical off-center tire wear (like cupping or feathering).

Look closely at the tires just off center looking for light cupping or some feathering. You might feel it if rubbing your hand along the tire in that area.

Tires are Metzler Roadtec Z8 with 4000 miles on them. Just went out into the garage and inspected them. Rotated them while rubbing my hand across them. The front tire was 2lbs low on air. The front does kinda seem like there might be some LIGHT cupping. But it's kinda hard to differentiate what might be cupping or just the tread pattern for that particular kind of tire. The sound seems to be coming from the rear....but as my bride has pointed out to me many times....I could be wrong.

Z6, PR3, PR4, Roadtec 01, various air pressures - they all do that.

Made more noticeable by a quiet engine and sound being channeled upward along the forks.

Does not affect handling, easily muted with ear plugs.

• Like 1

Appreciate everyone's input......I'll keep rolling. As a side note...how many miles can I expect outta those tires. I don't ride agressively (most of the time :grin:)

Appreciate everyone's input......I'll keep rolling. As a side note...how many miles can I expect outta those tires. I don't ride agressively (most of the time :grin:)

Morning Butthead

It does depend a LOT on your riding & braking aggressiveness as well as how long you can live with noisy ill handling tires.

I prefer the older Z-6 tire but those are difficult to come by now so I have had to use the Z-8 a few times.

I seldom get over 5K out of the Z-8 (could probably go a bit further) but the handling (tire profile) falls off so bad I just replace them). I still like the Z-8 better than the PR4 though as the PR4 is definitely not for aggressive riders.

Oh boy.....5k on tires?? That doesn't make me feel good. I can't ever recall not getting at least 8k on any cruiser I've had. Is it just the RT's genetics that causes it or are those tires much softer perhaps?

I wouldn't panic just yet. Though I don't know DR personally, what I've read here tells me he rides on the aggressive side of the spectrum.

I don't baby my tires, but usually get between 8 and 9 thousand miles out of a rear. and half as much more out of the front.

Some riders claim as many as 15k miles out of theirs.

Ride normally, and replace them when you don't like the way they work anymore. Then you will know YOUR mileage.

Keep a close eye on your rear tire. The rear tire wear is difficult to judge on the Z-8 and they are notorious for looking ok to showing cords VERY quickly.

Edited by MikeB60

My Z8's have been making noise in turns for 4000mi.

Currently 9700 miles on them...(15RTW) They are due for a change. Run your palm over surface of tire while spinning backwards. You'll know immediately if they are cupped or scalloped. You won't be able to keep your hand on the tire.

As said by others, watch rear. Cord shows without warning.

MB>

I got about 8800 miles out of my Z8's before the cord peeked through on the rear tire. The front cupping noise began around 4K miles.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a set of Z8s for my 94 R1100RS. Haven't mounted them yet but they have got to be better than the Bridgestone Battlax that are on there now. I wish there were more options for the rear 18" rim.