IGNORED

Shoei RF-1100 vs. RF-1200?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

It's time to buy a new helmet. It'll be a Shoei; that's what's been fitting me for the past 19 years. But which one? It'll be FF, and I don't need a flip-up. That narrows it down to five models.

I don't need the "entry level" RF-SR, so now I'm down to four.

The X-Fourteen is way more than I want to spend, so now I'm down to three.

The GT-Air includes a built-in retractable sun visor; I'm fine with a completely separate tinted visor, so that's a feature I don't need. So now I'm down to two: the RF-1100, and the RF1200.

The descriptions on those helmets' pages offer vague, general praise. Are there specific, meaningful differences between these two that might guide my decision?

Don't discount the flip up or the retractable visor, if you haven't had them in the past. I went from an RF800 to the Neotech. What a glorious upgrade! It's soooo nice to be able to walk in a store, and just flip it up (also great for eating / drinking).

The retractable visor (also on the neotec) is a meaningful difference, and could be viewed as a safety consideration as well, but mostly it's convenience. It's really nice to come around a bend, get hit with the glare, and simply slide the lever for instant sunglasses. I commonly use both sunglasses and the visor, to reduce eye fatigue when I'm out in the harsh sun all day. And I find that I virtually never have to fiddle with my eyewear, with the retractable visor.

On the other hand, regular full face helmets have advantages too.

But sorry, I don't have any specific 1100 - 1200 advice.

I'm a Shoei guy as well.

I would reconsider the GT-Air, don't know what you are missing with a retractable sun visor until you have one. I wont own another helmet without a retractable sun visor. The venting is great and Sena has a Bluetooth set built specifically for the GT-Air that works very well.

Sorry, no experience with the RF-1100 or RF-1200 .

My RF 1100 was a great helmet. I would probably have replaced it with the 1200 if they had visors that didn't fog up when clouds were overhead. I can now fix the fogging, but I did get an Arai. But that isn't what this thread is about.

I tried the RF1200 on two different places. Fit seemed similar to the RF 1100. 1200 seemed smaller? Maybe lighter? Specs would tell that. The 1200 is an improved 1100, if that is all you want out of a new helmet.

After having helmets with the flip down internal visor, I have gone back the other way. They just don't vent well in the heat with visor up. I too carry two or three visors with me.

Lone_RT_rider

Dude..... Step out of the RF world. :)

This one!

Here's what I stated in another RF1200 thread posted a few weeks back.

Sidenote related to Shoei:

I have been a fan of the X11 and X12. When my last helmet got old I decided that I would look at other models in the Shoei line as well. I automatically looked at the RF 1200 series and found it to be "ok". I then took a look at the RF-SR. I tried on the helmet in the XL when I normally buy a 2XL and fell in love. I have never been so happy with a helmet from Shoei in the 16 years I have been wearing them.

Moral of the story? Don't get in a rut. Try on everything you can. You may be surprised with the new offerings. smile

Shawn

Edited by Lone_RT_rider

I'm going to my local dealer this weekend to test fit a RF1200. Coming from a RF1100, I've heard they fit "different".

I'll report back.

RPG

If they have an (now discontinued) Quest laying around check them out. I went from an RF1100 to the Quest. My son has the RF1200 and it fits the same as my RF1100.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Dude..... Step out of the RF world. :)

This one!

OK, wait. We had the same bikes, in the same color:

2007-05-my-torrey-odyssey-023-L.jpg

the same color gear:

2007-05-my-torrey-odyssey-048-L.jpg

And then later on we had the same bikes, in the same color:

2009-08-head-east-029-L.jpg

and the same color gear:

2009-08-head-east-031-L.jpg

And now you're telling me to get the same helmet as you?

At least tell me your helmet isn't white...

Lone_RT_rider

Nope.... I can't lie to you like that. :rofl::dopeslap::facepalm:

20180613_071829-XL.jpg

Nope.... I can't lie to you like that. :rofl::dopeslap::facepalm:

20180613_071829-XL.jpg

:rofl:

Rider1200RT

That is too funny!!

But I have to say that I agree on not being stuck on one brand or model. I have switched around a bit and found any high quality brand will do depending on fit and what features you want/need.. YMMV

I've had my RF1100 for a long time. At least five years. I called my local dealer and asked them to order a RF1200 in the same XL size for me to try. (no obligation on my part to buy. really nice of them I thought)

I stopped by to try it on and it fit perfect so I bought it for a similar Internet price. I've only worn it a couple times, but it appears and feels nicer than my old RF1100.

Love the visor and the positive clicks. My 1100 was evidently getting worn out.

This is quite abusing! You know what they say, great minds think alike.

Did you both go to CMU as well?

Lone_RT_rider

No, Mitch spent a short lifetime in Badgerland. He's one of them .....doctor types. :)

51XX6wi9GQL.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday

No, but there was a time when we both lived in the Detroit metro area. :grin: