IGNORED

Garmin Zumo and the iPad

Rex R

Does anyone know of an iPad app that allows one to create, save, modify routes on an iPad and transfer to the Zumo?

We've covered this topic before (with negative results); however, I'm hoping that something new has been developed and released.

Does anyone know of an iPad app that allows one to create, save, modify routes on an iPad and transfer to the Zumo?

We've covered this topic before (with negative results); however, I'm hoping that something new has been developed and released.

Afternoon Rex

Wellllllllll!- If you are looking for smooth flowing, straight forward, & easy, then nothing that I know of. I do a LOT of GPS routing & tracking work for group rides & these routes/tacks need to go on a variety of GPS units but I sure don't know all the tricks so hopefully someone with an iPad can help you more specifically)

I can't speak about the iPad but have sort-of used a Samsung Tablet (non Windows system) to get a basically usable route into a Zumo but it sure isn't like using BaseCamp to create a custom route with defined shaping points & POI appearances along the route.

If you have an older Zumo (like a 450 or 550) then it is even more of a task as the older Zumo's don't play well with certain map transfers protocols & tend change or alter the route even more invasively as you can't send a pre-made verification track to the older Zumo's.

I have to make the route in Google maps, then convert it to a .GPX, then direct transfer onto the Zumo SD card. Then Zumo then finds the route & re-calculates it into the device as a turn-by-turn ridable route. (I don't find it that difficult to get a basic A to B route in this way but find it very difficult to get a complicated complex route into the GPS without it getting changed or modified in some way or another).

If you have an older Zumo (like a 450 or 550) then it is even more of a task as the older Zumo's don't play well with certain map transfers protocols & tend change or alter the route even more invasively as you can't send a pre-made verification track to the older Zumo's.

I have to make the route in Google maps, then convert it to a .GPX, then direct transfer onto the Zumo SD card. Then Zumo then finds the route & re-calculates it into the device as a turn-by-turn ridable route. (I don't find it that difficult to get a basic A to B route in this way but find it very difficult to get a complicated complex route into the GPS without it getting changed or modified in some way or another).

I have the 660

Google maps could be an option. Can you tell me how to convert a Google maps route to a .gpx file?

I have the 660

Google maps could be an option. Can you tell me how to convert a Google maps route to a .gpx file?

Afternoon Rex

I really can't using your iPhone but I have used GPSVisualizer.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

MyRoute-app available for the iPad can create .gpx files. Getting them transferred from iPad to the Zumo is probably the PIA.

MyRoute-app available for the iPad can create .gpx files. Getting them transferred from iPad to the Zumo is probably the PIA.

I never tried it, but you may be able to use Bluetooth to transfer to newer Zumo units.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should start a new thread, but since I'm the OP, maybe I can get away with hijacking my own thread.

How do y'all create/modify routes on the fly? When I'm out for the day--or on a trip--and want to create a new route, or modify a saved route, it's completely impractical to customize a route on my Zumo screen. If I zoom out enough to see the general area, I can't see street-level detail to plot an appropriately curvy or straight route.

On the other hand, If I zoom in to see the back roads, it's impossible to tell if I'm wandering too far off from my desired direction. It also requires constant scrolling, which is painfully slow on the Zumo.

I know Garmin has options like: curvy roads, fastest time, shortest distance. While helpful in some situations, those options are not what I'm looking for.

thanks,

Maybe I should start a new thread, but since I'm the OP, maybe I can get away with hijacking my own thread.

How do y'all create/modify routes on the fly? When I'm out for the day--or on a trip--and want to create a new route, or modify a saved route, it's completely impractical to customize a route on my Zumo screen. If I zoom out enough to see the general area, I can't see street-level detail to plot an appropriately curvy or straight route.

On the other hand, If I zoom in to see the back roads, it's impossible to tell if I'm wandering too far off from my desired direction. It also requires constant scrolling, which is painfully slow on the Zumo.

I know Garmin has options like: curvy roads, fastest time, shortest distance. While helpful in some situations, those options are not what I'm looking for.

thanks,

If I had to make a route on the side of the road, that is the only way I know how to do it.

I would try to have a paper map or maybe use my phone to have a google map, this would give a big picture of the area I am in.

Then I wouldn't have to zoom in and out as much.

The other choice would be to modify a route you have in the GPS already. You can just add a spot you want to “detour” too and then delete points from the route you don' t want.

Your other choice is to travel with a cheap laptop computer and create the route in BaseCamp and then transfer it to the GPS.

I always try to have multiple different routes off an area I am traveling through, so I can easily either extend or shorten the day, if needed.

Another thing I will do is take some of the routes and reverse them, before I load the GPS for rallies. This lets me have a choice if I want to use it clockwise or counterclockwise.

Depending on weather or other factors. If you install a SD Card in the Zumo, you can load hundreds of different routes and import them when ever you may need them, on the dissident of the road.