IGNORED

98 R1100RT needs an alternator?

wqbusch

Been riding bike a lot. Went out to start it yesterday and turned over slow for a few seconds then wouldn't. Just put a new battery in this spring. Any ideas.

Walt

Been riding bike a lot. Went out to start it yesterday and turned over slow for a few seconds then wouldn't. Just put a new battery in this spring. Any ideas.

Walt

Afternoon Walt

Without some electrical testing all the ideas I have are just that, ideas.

WHY did the battery go dead????????????

Could be as easy as a slipping or missing alternator belt, to the alternator quit charging, to the battery going bad, to an electrical patristic load on the electrical system with the key turned off (like an accessory not turning off or some other sort of patristic electrical draw.

You will need a DC voltmeter & knowledge on how to use it to test charging output, check for an electrical draw & possibly even have your battery load tested.

If you have access to a good small DC voltmeter we can talk you through most tests.

The bike is in our storage locker with no electrical outlets. Was going to jump it but not sure if it will run long enoigh to get home.

Walt

szurszewski

How long did it sit since after the last ride? What kind of battery is in there? (I've read about several and experienced one very sudden failure of a new odyssey battery - not sure if that is likely with other sealed batteries.)

Wqbusch,

Whatever DirtRider says to do, do it. He will figure out what the problem is and know how to fix it.

Two years ago I had a problem very similar to yours on my '99 R1100S and learned a lot about batteries, voltage regulators, chargers, etc. You may be having the same problem but without doing the tests on your bike no one knows.

I did learn that if you are using an Odyssey PC680 or any other AGM type battery you need an AGM rated voltage regulator (in your alternator) AND an AGM rated maintenance charger. Bikes of this era came with voltage regulators designed for flooded cell lead-acid batteries, which are set too low for AGM batteries to charge 100%. A fully charged battery will last longer and the Motorad ECU likes a fully charged battery, too.

More info on AGM batteries here: AGM info

EME has a voltage regulator for $39 : EME Voltage Regulator

BatteryMINDER makes a charger for AGM batteries: BatteryMINDER on Amazon

Get the voltage meter (or multitester) out and get the readings that DirtRider needs FIRST.

The bike is in our storage locker with no electrical outlets. Was going to jump it but not sure if it will run long enoigh to get home.

Walt

Morning Walt

You really should test the charging system output but you could just jump it as you planned, then run it around the storage area for a few minutes, then shut it off & see if it will re-start. If it will re-start after running it for a bit then it will probably make it home.

The other option is buy or borrow a small jumper battery (or little lithium battery pack) then use that if you stall the bike & can't restart it.

If you jump from an automobile or light truck you can probably leave the jumper on long enough to get somewhat of a charge in that small motorcycle battery.

It all kind of boils down to IF your battery is good, and/or if your alternator produces enough current to run the bike once started.

If in doubt then removing the load relief relay from the fuse box will take a lot of light load off the battery & charging system but you won't have any front or rear lighting.

In 300,000 miles of riding these bikes and 21 years of reading about them daily I have heard of 1 (one) alternator failure. So it's almost impossibly rare. My first bet is that your new battery gave up the ghost. Get a multi meter and give us three measurements.

1. Battery voltage at rest.

2. Battery voltage when cranking engine.

3. Battery voltage when bike is running at 3000 rpm.

In 300,000 miles of riding these bikes and 21 years of reading about them daily I have heard of 1 (one) alternator failure. So it's almost impossibly rare. My first bet is that your new battery gave up the ghost. Get a multi meter and give us three measurements.

1. Battery voltage at rest.

2. Battery voltage when cranking engine.

3. Battery voltage when bike is running at 3000 rpm.

Morning Jim

In his original posting he says the battery died during engine cranking so the battery voltage at rest or during engine cranking will do no good.

He also states he has no electrical outlet where the bike is at so he can't even re-charge it to furnish battery voltage data.

szurszewski

Walt

Morning Walt

The other option is buy or borrow a small jumper battery (or little lithium battery pack) then use that if you stall the bike & can't restart it.

This was our temporary solution to get to a battery dealer (we were several months into an extended tour) and it worked well - once started the bike ran just fine, but would always (except once) need the jump to restart.

If you don't already have a lithium jump pack this is a great motivation to get one - you will likely use it for yourself in the future but you will definitely have opportunity to use it to help others frequently.

I also suspected the alternator initially in our bike, and was very glad to find that not to be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a jump start pac from advanced went out to storage and the bike started on its own so brought it back to the house. Charged battery and rode bike for a few days then wouldn't start. Charged it up again to full charge and it barely started. Went out today battery read 12.7 volts. Tried to start it and it turned real slow and clock went to all zeros but then took off and started up. Had the rpms at about 2800 with chicken on and had 14 volts at the battery. Took it for a short ride shut it off and it started right up but battery light stayed on at idle them went away when I reved it up.

Walt

Evening wqbusch

Bought a jump start pac from advanced went out to storage and the bike started on its own so brought it back to the house.

Charged battery and rode bike for a few days then wouldn't start. Charged it up again to full charge and it barely started. Went out today battery read 12.7 volts. --12.7v could be a bit on the low side depending on the battery type. Just keep in mind that the no-load static voltage is no indication of the cranking power available. You need to test the battery voltage during engine cranking to get an idea of starting ability.

Tried to start it and it turned real slow and clock went to all zeros but then took off and started up. --Clock going to all zeros tells us that the system (battery) voltage went way low during cranking. More than likely a bad battery or not charged enough, or something is drawing the battery down while bike parked.

Had the rpms at about 2800 with chicken (I presume choke on) and had 14 volts at the battery. Took it for a short ride shut it off and it started right up but battery light stayed on at idle them went away when I reved it up. --Might not indicate much as some BMW boxer bikes have a low wattage generator light so at times can need a bit of engine revving to start charging. (BMW has a service bulletin to install a 3 watt dash light bulb in the generator light socket to cure the sluggish start-of-charge).

You really should have your battery load tested to confirm it is still in good shape.

You should also inspect the alternator belt for condition & being at proper tension (ie not slipping)

Mike Sawatske

Walt,

Recently helped a friend out with his R1100RT doing very similar to your description, with a recent new battery. Turned out to be his radio/cassette unit permanently on - it was running the battery down enough overnight that the bike wouldn't start. Maybe? Good luck.

Mike

OldBMWMaster
Walt,

Recently helped a friend out with his R1100RT doing very similar to your description, with a recent new battery. Turned out to be his radio/cassette unit permanently on - it was running the battery down enough overnight that the bike wouldn't start. Maybe? Good luck.

Mike

And I had a similar problem with a bad battery in my Garmin which was draining my main battery. I replaced the Garmin battery and all was OK.