IGNORED

Can anyone identify this part

ltljohn

Bike is a 2009 R1200R, I had the tank off found this under the bike after I put things together. Anyone know what it is?

20180617_125354_HDR%5B1%5D-L.jpg

20180617_125334_HDR%5B1%5D-L.jpg

It looks like a doohickey...

Don't know Dennis, looks like a Thingamabob to me. :grin:

I actually went to the Max BMW parts fiche to look but came up with nothing. :dontknow: It sorta reminded me of the game Bill introduced a few years back where you had to locate and name the road that was pictured.

Pat

Joe Frickin' Friday
Bike is a 2009 R1200R, I had the tank off found this under the bike after I put things together. Anyone know what it is?

Just a wild guess, but it looks like it might be a guide for a throttle cable or fuel hose, to encourage it to make a gentle 90-degree turn instead of kinking.

Are you certain it came from the bike?

I agree with JFF:

1) it clearly is a press fit onto some part of the frame. There's a slot in the fatter part that slides on a flange that sticks out from the frame or something;

2) the curved part is only 1/2 a tube. So there's either another part with the rest of the tube, or the piece fits against something (the frame?) that provides the other 1/2 tube, so that whatever is routed through the tube doesn't just fall out.

*IF* it's from the bike

Or it could be a dooby-dabber.

Afternoon ltljohn

I haven't ever seen that part on a 1200R bike but keep in mind that I have worked on very few 1200R bikes (lots of 1200RT bikes though).

By looking at the part my guess is that it either doesn't belong on a 1200R bike or it was part of a pre-assembly component protection cover like a fuel injector protector, or oil pressure switch protector, oil cooler line protector, or fuel line fitting protector that gets removed when the engine is installed or fuel system installed & the component is wired or plumbed up for use. Possibly that little curved tail is to pull it free from whatever it is covering.

Thanks for the input everybody. I am not positive it came from the bike. I am off on vacation. I am going to pull the tank to run wiring for some aux lights when I get back. As DR said it may not be part of the bike I will look at things carefully before I button it back up.