IGNORED

2014-2015 R1200RT's With Low Miles

Cohiba54

I'm selling off a couple of bikes and looking to buy an RT. I've found a few R1200RT's with surprisingly low miles, never understood buying a bike and not riding it. Anyways in my book let a machine set and your possibly in for oil leaks, bad seals and bad rubber on the ground and so on. So with all that being said. What in particular should I be on the lookout for on these bikes when i recon them? Electrical? Computer? Or am I just being a puss about it?

Comments?

Edited by Cogiba54

There will always be some bikes with very low miles. Regardless of how well the perform or look. If a bike has been stored inside, I don't think there would be much of anything to be concerned about. I would consider doing a complete service, brake fluid flush especially. Seals and switches should be fine. Tires.....might need a new set of those.

Then ride it!

Yep thanks and nice 1969 I had a '68 convertible GT package, 390/4 speed. Wish I hadn't blown that motor racing it.

Sometime people's eyes are too big for their stomachs. Life goals change, health issues arise, and that dream motorcycle turns into an albatross around someone's neck. I'd expect to have to run couple of tanks of gas through something, as well as doing service and, maybe, having a shorter interval until the next service in the owner's manual. If the tires are less than 5 years old, I don't expect that I'd need to change them except for personal preference.

The ones that break my heart are the 'selling due to cancer' or 'selling Dad's bike because he passed away.'

Motorcycles, mountain bikes, boats, RV's are awesome used purchases. A guy with stars in his eyes buys his toy new, buys accessories, and quickly realizes it's not for him. Then he let's it sit for a year or 2, and you step in and get a good buy.

I think if you are talking a '14 or '15 RT with just a few thousand miles there should be little worry about seals leaking. A 10 year old bike might bring a little more concern in that area. Bad gasoline and the battery would be my first suspect for things to investigate. The storage and riding history might give you some relief to your concern. If it was always garaged and ridden almost monthly, but only for 100 miles, a'14 or '15 would have less than 5,000 miles but 100 miles a month would be enough to keep the machine from having the issues you concerned about.

I've see a lot of cherry garage queen Harley's that fit that description and were problem free when sold to a more committed rider. Ask about the maintenance records as well, although it would be a short list for a garage queen. Whether it is a garage queen, or a well ridden, after the fuel and battery check, I would do a full fluid change and check the valve clearance if the mileage indicates it should have been done. Trust but verify!

Thank you all, I settled my dilemma of which RT to buy. Picking up a new to me 2015, matt gray, R1200RT with 16k miles on the clock. I've done a separate post with the options list for the bike to find out what the definitions are.