IGNORED

Sticking throttle R1200R

ltljohn

Bike is 2009 R1200R On the way home on my last ride the throttle started sticking it would not return by itself. I pulled the tank today to see if I could see something as I was twisting the throttle back and forth this fell out of the right side throttle body with the cable attached. It appears to be broken in half. Pics are the same part both sides. Is this a replaceable part or will it be the entire throttle body assembly?

20180630_150541%5B1%5D-L.jpg

20180630_124019%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Edited by ltljohn

javascript:quickReply(1013777)

Bike is 2009 R1200R On the way home on my last ride the throttle started sticking it would not return by itself. I pulled the tank today to see if I could see something as I was twisting the throttle back and forth this fell out of the right side throttle body with the cable attached. It appears to be broken in half. Pics are the same part both sides. Is this a replaceable part or will it be the entire throttle body assembly?

Afternoon ltljohn

Well, the bad news is that BMW doesn't service those parts & requires a new (extremally expensive) throttle body be installed.

The good news is-- Bing has (or did have anyhow) the parts for sale but you will either need to remove & send your throttle body to them (very lengthily repair time frame), or figure out how to install the cam yourself (not a straight forward removal/replacement) as they aren't designed to be replaceable. Then figure out how to get the non adjustable idle stop set correctly.

In any case you have the choice of buying a used throttle body on E-Bay, buying an expensive throttle body from BMW, or calling Bing to see if they can help you out, or sell you the replacement parts.

Bing USA--click here

Thanks for the info DR. I was expecting the throttle body would have to be replaced. This is not something I will take on myself. This is where I see if the aftermarket warranty I bought pays off.

Holy smoke, this is probably a fairly recent addition that BrianM has mentioned .

http://bingcarburetor.com/store/p134/Type_77_Throttle_Body_Pulley_%26_Shaft_Assembly.html

The small shop I worked at, the owner was a design engineer in his real job and made up a couple of fixtures on his lathe to hold and peen the shafts over the new cable pulleys .

Bing USA had the pulleys for some reason but could not install them OR suggest a way they could be securely fastened.

We bought half a dozen new shafts, pulleys, butterfly screws and tin caps and made up three sets. The cost was peanuts.

We installed 2 sets on local PD bikes with great success.

I thought it was odd the butterfly screws weren't peened over, just threadlocker held them in place.

New shafts with new pulleys are a huge find.

This is a faulty decision on BMW's part to make these parts plastic.

I have busted my first one from holding /twisting the throttle too hard and snap!

I have a used one I can send you , mail included for $50.

You may/or may not get away without syncing throttle bodies when done. But eventually needs to be checked.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this in to the dealer. The throttle body is covered under the extended warranty so I will get a new one. I also had the fuel strip replaced.