IGNORED

Radiator Vent Defelectors

Cohiba54

Upper 80's running at speed I started noticing excessive heat on my left leg. I set cruse running highway speed and checked by putting my hand over the shin on each side and both were hot from the radiator exhaust vents.

Has anyone come up with heat deflectors for the radiator exhaust vents for our bikes yet? If so point me to them.

Edited by Cohiba54

I used smoked lower fairing deflectors from Memphis Shades that are intended to go on a M S fairing. They fit perfectly when heated in an oven on about 200~250 degrees. Put them on parchment paper to heat,immediately take them out & form to the radiator exhaust. I will try to post pics,I am technologically challenged! Memphis Shades part number is 2350-0111 and it comes with plastic screws & nuts!

Tell you what,just pm your phone # to me & I will send pics by text,looks easier than doing it on the forum. Sorry to be a tech idiot.

Tell you what,just pm your phone # to me & I will send pics by text,looks easier than doing it on the forum. Sorry to be a tech idiot.

Thanks Keith that looks like the ticket and doesn't look too out of place either and yes it's a bug catcher I see.

I put the video you sent me on YouTube. I'll let you field the questions.

Here the Memphis Shades part number 2350-0111

Edited by Cohiba54

I hate to say it but....those look terrible! I've been riding in lot's of 90's and hotter and have not had a problem with heat from the vents.

GT

Ah well,to each his own as they say. I wasn't having a problem with heat on me,but my wife was getting a lot of heat on her shins, as a passenger's legs are less "covered"

by the fairing lowers. I've never even had anyone notice them unless I point them out. Works for me.

szurszewski
I hate to say it but....those look terrible! I've been riding in lot's of 90's and hotter and have not had a problem with heat from the vents.

GT

They look maybe a bit dirty but I wouldn't say they look terrible. Important part is do they do what they're supposed to?

Looks are all relative - if it were just aesthetics I wouldn't have ever bought my RT or LT in the first place ;)

They deflect the heat further away from the bike(and passengers). Which is what I needed them to do. Yes,the bike is dirty,just came off a ride.

szurszewski
They deflect the heat further away from the bike(and passengers). Which is what I needed them to do. Yes,the bike is dirty,just came off a ride.

Then I think they look just fine - not that you should care, but I figured it you got one "they look bad" you might as well get one "they look good."

:) carry on!

realshelby

For the record I have noticed heat from my radiators on occasion. But if you "train" yourself to tuck your knees to the bike you cannot feel the heat. I do still get some when putting my feet out on the highway pegs.

Compared to a couple other bikes I have owned, the RT has no heat problem. At least I can get away from it!

• Like 1

It would definitely cook a pot roast. And to restate,the heat problem is for the passengers,not the rider,as their legs are not able to tuck in behind the fairing lowers. Left side hotter than right also,because the coolant goes to left radiator first.

For what it's worth, my wife and I rode this morning and covered about 200 miles, mostly at 60-75 mph. Ambient temps ranged from 85 to 104. Neither of us was bothered by heat coming off the radiator vents, wearing vented fabric gear. Others obviously have a different experience.

Not an engineer but I am wondering if just that bit sticking out in the wind will funnel it toward the radiator? If so that is going to cause some type of back presure to air flowing through the radiator? Does your fan spin at all while driving down the road? If so it is scooping air into the opening.

Cool idea but I wonder if you are causing any back pressure?

Hi Cohiba54, This weekend I had the dubious privileged of having to go on the back of a '14RT. It was hot so I remembered what you had said about the hot air not effecting the rider, but mainly the passenger.

Well, I popped off a my gloves while we were riding along, and sure enough, just as you said, there is a huge amount of hot air being channeled up to the passengers' upper shins and knees. Normally this is a VERY good thing for my passenger (she gets cold very easily). But, in this crazy hot weather it was less than ideal.

However, I was thinking about the cooler days, and reversing your concept to try and get that warmer air in and around my shins and feet. You have piqued my interest!

Thanks

Andy

AndyS I'll give credit where credit is due, that was KeithK at spoke to the heat the passenger was getting. Plus he's the one that's been using the deflectors, so kudos to him. I've not installed anything in that regard yet but will have to pretty soon. My commute is only a 60 mile round trip run on a highway and I deal with the heat for that short period. Now come an all day weekend run or my wife rides with I will be installing them.

• 11 months later...