IGNORED

Cruise Control not working?

Woodie

Newly acquired '09 R1200RT (with 101k miles)

When I rode it home, the cruise control worked. Now, 1,500 miles later, it doesn't do anything.

Is this common?

Is there a most common cause that I can look for?

In search of enlightenment. (and y'all never let me down)

Newly acquired '09 R1200RT (with 101k miles)

When I rode it home, the cruise control worked. Now, 1,500 miles later, it doesn't do anything.

Is this common?

Is there a most common cause that I can look for?

In search of enlightenment. (and y'all never let me down)

Morning Woodie

First place to look is that cruise switch is turned on (L/H) handlebar. (tallest switch button lever slides to right for cruise control ON)

Next place to address is that you aren't inadvertently riding with the brake lever or foot pedal slightly pulled or depressed (ie no hand on clutch lever or foot lightly on brake pedal while riding)

What have you done to the bike or worked on since you received the bike (maybe something done disabled the cruise control).

You can run a home cruise control test to maybe identify the reason that the cruise doesn't work.

First)- With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

Then)- Press and hold the SET button to the SET position, then turn on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT should come on)

Next)- Release the SET button (LIGHT THEN GOES OFF), move to RESET position (Resume) position (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Release the button (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF)

Next)- Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Switch the cruise control switch back to on (LIGHT SHOULD BE OFF)

Next)- Close throttle. (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON), release throttle. (LIGHT GOES OFF)

Next)- Pull clutch lever (LIGHT ON), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

Next)- Pull front brake lever (LIGHT ON), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

Next)- Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT SHOULD BE ON)

Next)- Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

Last)- Switch off ignition.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was having a CC problem on mine too, just seemed to stop. Realized I was looking to set the control while on some long boring back roads, at a slower speed/lower gear (4th or 5th)

Once I got on the autobahn and in 6th gear, the CC worked flawlessly. I never noticed it before, but maybe it's designed to only be used in top gear. Not sure though...welcome to hear if that's' the deal though.

Pletch

thanks for the feedback. I've been playing with it...so it seems to work sometimes. It appears to be the on/off switch - sometimes I turn it on, and then Set and it works/takes. Other times, I turn it on, then Set and nothing. Mostly in 6th gear, but I'll check that for 100% coverage. Seems to me like a flakey on/off (mechanical) switch issue.

thanks for the feedback. I've been playing with it...so it seems to work sometimes. It appears to be the on/off switch - sometimes I turn it on, and then Set and it works/takes. Other times, I turn it on, then Set and nothing. Mostly in 6th gear, but I'll check that for 100% coverage. Seems to me like a flakey on/off (mechanical) switch issue.

Morning Woodie

Does the red (on) light always come on & go off when moving the ON/OFF switch toggle lever?

Cruise control doesn't require 6th gear to work but does require enough speed & no brake apply (like no foot on brake pedal, or fingers on brake lever), cruise should also release if throttle twist grip is rolled ALL the way forward, or if clutch lever is pulled in.

What red light? I've never noticed one. Just the orange SET, which isn't until after.

Morning Woodie

You do have a 2009 correct?

(with key on)-- If you move the little upright tab (lever) on the cruise control switch to the right it should uncover a little red light & turn it on. If you move the little upright tab (lever) on the cruise control switch to the left it should cover the little light & turn it off.

Well I'll be! There's a little light in there. I have never noticed it before, but the angle is wrong for me to see it without specifically moving to look. I'll add that to my things to notice list.

Beemer Dood

Mine refused to set on a recent trip. After fiddling with it for several minutes, I discovered that I was depressing the rear brake level a touch. Not enough to give me any feedback from the pressure, but enough to turn the cruise control off. Thanks for posting the 'engine off' test protocol.

Edited by Beemer Dood

Often after a tip over by the current or previous owner will bend the brake pedal up a bit making accidental foot contact too easy. Checking the clearance and adjusting the brake pedal a hair with a suitable tool will fix this.

Since i finally got out for a brief ride today:

Red light never comes on. Even when cruise is on, and SET and working. (SET on dash lit up, and speed being maintained).

I'm pretty sure that I wasn't touching any controls the last time I tried and it failed...but I'm only 95% sure.

I'm still of the opinion that the main switch is a little flakey - especially since the light at the switch is 100% failing.

Perhaps a disassemble/clean/reassemble? Not sure it's worth the bother. Maybe during the winter.

Hi,

I've had my cruise inadvertently not work, frustrating as all get out, then all the sudden it works again.

What I think is the cause (for me anyway) is not letting the bikes start up sequence be fully completed prior to starting. Now I wait until all the warning and test lights have finished prior to pressing the start switch, and no cruise issues for the last two years. (the ABS will continues to flash, until the bike rolls a bit)

Of course I could be fooling myself, but hey, just I wear a tin foil hat and I haven't been abducted by aliens yet so that must be working too!

• 5 weeks later...

@Fleetwood... Interesting...I started doing that, and I've got nearly 100% consistency now. (Last time it didn't work, I couldn't remember if I had really waited for the whole check sequence to complete).

THANKS!

It can be painful to sit through the entire "boot up" sequence....no fast getaways!

Glad It helped!

Edited by Fleetwood