IGNORED

Headlight Modulator

Dave P

Hi all- R1100RT, I was thinking about getting one of those headlight modulators so cage drivers might see me better. What systems would I need for my RT? Are there better type systems out there these days? Just shopping currently. Thanks! Dave

I was negative on those for years.

Until I took a part time job where I rode my R1100RT as part of the job 20-25hr a week during morning rush (for our smallish town)

So, I bought one. From Signal Dynamics , a Diamond Star , about 4yr ago.

Now, you buy the module then choose the kit for your headlight type. Total is still under 100. On Amazon Prime. Back then, it was one kit.

(I also have the BMW Authorities LED brake light module for rear visibility but now there are several choices much less expensive, back in '04 when I got the bike, not so many.)

With the RT's H4 bulb, it was very easy to install, I didn't want to drill a hole in my dash for the sunlight sunsor the big so I ran it up to my RAM X-Grio where I put my phone for GPS use.

I also wire tied a rubber brake caliper bleeder cover to the end where I could cover the sensor to "override" the modulation feature.

I have to say, from day one, on the inner city freeways especially, the car folks SEE YOU. they will wiggle, you see them look in the mirror, they move over, many extremely clear signs that they see you.

When passing cars on a two lane street, (legally) oncoming cars also wiggle, and some even move over a bit even when there is double plenty of room to pass.

The rubber cap I installed in case I felt it was "too much" I've never used.

I wish I had purchased one years ago .

Oh, I have the Kisan Signal Minder that turns the turn signals into running lights as well and gives you the option of having self cancelling turn signals too.

Hi all- R1100RT, I was thinking about getting one of those headlight modulators so cage drivers might see me better. What systems would I need for my RT? Are there better type systems out there these days? Just shopping currently. Thanks! Dave

Morning Dave

You first need to determine what is legal in your state. Some states have (or had anyhow) strange rules on messing with OEM lighting. You probably won't get a ticket for using one even if it doesn't comply with state laws but should you ever get in an accident then some of, or all of, the blame could shift to you if it was determined that you were using illegal lighting that confused the other driver.

The other thing to consider is your riding speed, lane usage, riding gear, & motorcycle look. I have only had one motorcycle with a headlight modulator & it didn't work out well for me. It was already on a BMW 1150RT that I bought used with the modulator already on it. For me personally it was a pain in the a$$, I ride kind of aggressively, wear a white helmet, & pass a LOT of vehicles, so typically ride up to (close-up-quickly-behind) other vehicles at speed. Then add in that darn flashing headlight so a number of drivers thought that I was a LEO so suddenly slowed down, swerved into another lane, or did other unpredictable things in front of me, or beside me. (basically did things to disrupt my smooth & fluid flow through traffic).

If a headlight modulator prevents a vehicle from pulling out in front of you (or turning in front of you) that is a good thing but if a headlight modulator allows a driver to notice you only AFTER they pull out in front of you (or turn in front of you) then that is a bad thing as they typically stop, change their line of travel, or swerve making it very difficult for you to simply ride around them. If a driver pulls out in front of me (or turns in front of me) then the last thing that I want them to do is see me & suddenly act erratically & unpredictable.

The thing to keep in mind is that flashing lights are more easily picked up in a drivers peripheral vision so the flashing headlight might not register until after they pull out or turn.

I have a pair of Moto lights on the forks of the Rt and have watched friends ride the bike on the road while riding another bike. It has been pointed out that the extra lights in that position give you more presence to other traffic. I agree with that assessment and other drivers seem to make eye contact quicker than bikes without the extra lighting. A triangle of light is what some web pages say gives the most presence. My Moto lights have been converted to use LED's so power consumption is low and many other options are out there if the fork location is your goal. The flashing headlight is covered in a federal law and there is something about how many flashes per minute are allowed. One suggestion is to keep a copy of the law with your registration to show any LEO that decides to pull you over for that. Mike

I used the first available headlight modulator, back in the 70s. I had a Kokusan on my FJR.

According to paperwork that came with the Kokusan, they were legal in every state.

I believe that drivers were much more likely to see you, and certainly I notice bikes with a modulator immediately.

I also notice bikes with extra lights, especially with yellow. I'm thinking about getting extras, partly for that and partly for the deer around here.

Michaelr11

Morning Dave

You first need to determine what is legal in your state. Some states have (or had anyhow) strange rules on messing with OEM lighting. You probably won't get a ticket for using one even if it doesn't comply with state laws but should you ever get in an accident then some of, or all of, the blame could shift to you if it was determined that you were using illegal lighting that confused the other driver.

First, headlight modulators are defined in a federal safety standard and are by law,legal in all 50 states. No State or local code can make them illegal, unless you build your own and it doesn't conform to the federal standards. Personally, I have one on each one of my bikes including the R1100RT. I use the PathBlazer from Kisan Technologies. I have the H4 headlight so I use the P115W model. You just unplug the harness from the back of the bulb and add the modulator. I did drill a small hole next to the mirror and inserted the light sensor there, but you can just run the sensor along one of the control cables and zip tie it in place.

I repeatedly see car drivers react to the modulator. At intersections and driveways I see the front of the vehicle dip when they apply the brake hard. Occasionally a car will pull over thinking that it's law enforcement, but that is rare and most often an elder driver who got confused by the modulator. It works with the high beam, so if you are behind someone and want to stop modulating you just switch to low beam.

Thanks all for the input. Hi Mike, did I see you going through Auburn afew weeks ago?

I'm not a real aggressive rider, and I have Piaas on the forks, often run them in congested areas. I do think the modulater would help me stand out. Good to know it's legal in all states.

I also have used the Hyper lites on the brake lights. 22 years with those.

My Piaas are on when high beams are on, so i think I'd want the HM to work independently of the Piaas. Dave

Edited by Dave P
Joe Frickin' Friday

Had a headlight modulator years ago, didn't like it. I was always concerned about irritating other drivers - either by blasting their rearview mirrors with pulsating light, or by their sudden discover, after they've yielded right-of-way, that I'm not the authority vehicle they thought I was. Like dirtrider, I inadvertently convinced a bunch of vehicles to pull off of the road, including one city bus. My HM died after about 1.5 seasons, and I never bothered to replace it.

FWIW, the 1100/1150/1200 RT is a big bike. Not just the engine, but the fairing and everything, taken together, create a large frontal area. The Hurt Report is antique news now, but one of their findings was this:

Motorcycles equipped with fairings and windshields are underrepresented in accidents, most likely because of the contribution to conspicuity and the association with more experienced and trained riders.

Assuming that at least some of this effect is due to the conspicuity of large, faired bikes, you've already got a safety advantage over some other dude riding a Ninja250.

These days I wear a high-viz jacket and have yellow Motolights on the forks. I also replaced the turn signal bulbs with 1157s so that they have full-time marker lights. Whenever there is side/oncoming traffic that's thinking about turning in front of me, I make it a point to slalom within my lane; the apparent movement really draws their gaze to you. I can't remember the last time someone turned in front of me. The only time people try to get me is on the highway, when they try to change lanes into me because they don't look over their shoulder before changing lanes. A headlight modulator isn't going to help that.

Joe- I guess since I rarely ride at night, if I wanted to use the Piaas mainly for conspicuity, I could switch out the bulbs with yellow ones. I guess yellow ones in combination with the high beam stand out better, right?

Full time marker lights would be a good idea too. Is it as simple as buying four 1157 bulbs for the signals and switching them out, or is there more to it? Don't have the hi-vis jacket but was thinking about one of those dorky high vis yellow helmets next time. Dave

Joe Frickin' Friday
Joe- I guess since I rarely ride at night, if I wanted to use the Piaas mainly for conspicuity, I could switch out the bulbs with yellow ones. I guess yellow ones in combination with the high beam stand out better, right?

Yellow bulbs for your PIAAs in combination with the low-beam will stand out just fine. Please don't run the high-beam in the daytime; you will piss off other motorists; this is bad for you and also for other motorcyclists. It may even be counterproductive, in that by blinding other motorists with your high-beams, you make it more difficult for them to judge your speed/distance.

Full time marker lights would be a good idea too. Is it as simple as buying four 1157 bulbs for the signals and switching them out, or is there more to it

There's more to it. You'll need to replace your OEM sockets with 1157 sockets, and run key-switched power to them to supply the always-on filaments. You can get 1157 sockets and bulbs at any auto parts store. Key-switched power can be had from the tiny parking lamp in the bottom of the headlight reflector.

Yellow bulbs for your PIAAs in combination with the low-beam will stand out just fine. Please don't run the high-beam in the daytime; you will piss off other motorists; this is bad for you and also for other motorcyclists. It may even be counterproductive, in that by blinding other motorists with your high-beams, you make it more difficult for them to judge your speed/distance.

Joe, I am SO with you on this. I really struggle with folk going around on Hi beam. Do they never ride toward the sun and realise how difficult it is to see when encountering such ridiculous amounts of light!

Joe- When I bought the bike it had the Piaas installed, they are wired so they can only be turned on when the high beams are on.

I probably should re-wire them so I can run them independently, so I can run the Piaas with low beams (daytime to be seen) or with high beams (nighttime for better visibility for me). Sounds easy enough to convert those signal lamps.

It appears that 1157 refers to the base. I see on ebay a 3 wire socket that is referred to as a 1157 bulb holder. Is that what I would need?

Spent a month doing this and that with the bodywork off, I'll get into this rewiring business next time she's sitting in the garage naked. Trying to concentrate on just RIDING the bike right now. Dave

Edited by Dave P
Joe Frickin' Friday
Joe- When I bought the bike it had the Piaas installed, they are wired so they can only be turned on when the high beams are on.

I probably should re-wire them so I can run them independently, so I can run the Piaas with low beams (daytime to be seen) or with high beams (nighttime for better visibility for me).

When I had my 1100RT, I had a set of PIAA 1700s under the oil cooler, and a set of PIAA 1100s above the turn signals:

2007-05-my-torrey-odyssey-169-L.jpg

The 1700s were key-switched; these were for conspicuity, and I had them on pretty much all the time.

The 1100s were wired to turn on with the high beam; these were for nighttime visibility, and pointed a little to each side to light up the shoulders as well as the road ahead. I rarely used these because I rarely rode after dark; if I did, it was pretty much just to get from the restaurant back to the hotel, in which case I was in a town somewhere with traffic and would blind other drivers if I turned them on.

In 2009 I sold my 1100RT and bought a 1200RT. I put yellow Motolights on the forks (and 1157s in the turn signals), wired to run with the low-beam:

2012-08-dances-with-cows-too-022-L.jpg

I ride so little at night that I never bothered to install anything on this bike to augment the high-beam.

When do you do most of your riding? That should guide you on how to wire/use your aftermarket lighting.

Sounds easy enough to convert those signal lamps.

It appears that 1157 refers to the base. I see on ebay a 3 wire socket that is referred to as a 1157 bulb holder. Is that what I would need?

Yeah, 1157 refers to the dual-filament bulb: the bright filament is for the turn signal, and the not-so-bright one is for the running light. When you're shopping for holders/sockets, look for a "universal" one that has metal spring-tabs that let it install in pretty much any OEM reflector.

Joe- Lots of Bugs!! Yeah I rarely ride at night either. Deer everywhere up here!

so I saw these, looks like 1 to ground, 1 to signal, 1 to hot line to stay on when ignition is on. Looks like it will pop into my signal housing plastic.

Does the high/low come from 2 different amounts of power coming in or do I need to find 1157 high/low bulbs? Dave

6955.jpg.838ab259a72966324792bfd3a90d4da2.jpg

Edited by Dave P
Joe Frickin' Friday
Joe- Lots of Bugs!!

That was shortly after returning home from a 5000-mile trip; I wanted some good souvenir shots of what I had been through. As it turns out, that was the best shot I had in my SmugMug account for showing the configuration of my lights.

so I saw these, looks like 1 to ground, 1 to signal, 1 to hot line to stay on when ignition is on. Looks like it will pop into my signal housing plastic... Dave

If the plastic tabs are all in the right spots, then you're good to go.

Lone_RT_rider
The 1100s were wired to turn on with the high beam; these were for nighttime visibility, and pointed a little to each side to light up the shoulders as well as the road ahead. I rarely used these because I rarely rode after dark; if I did, it was pretty much just to get from the restaurant back to the hotel, in which case I was in a town somewhere with traffic and would blind other drivers if I turned them on.

I seem to remember riding South in Kentucky on I-75 somewhere around 9 PM at night whilst on our way to an El Paseo. You hit the brights and those 1100's and literally lit up the entire side of a mountain. :jaw::facepalm:

RandyShields

Well, well, a lighting thread. I can't pass this up. I also have never liked headlight modulators, and my unscientific observation is that they are added to fewer and fewer bikes lately. I agree with that auxiliary lights are a dramatic aid to daytime conspicuity, and always ride with them on.

The lights on my first generation 1150RT were horrible, so, after soaking up the wisdom on this site, did what Joe and others did and added a pair of PIAA 1100s mounted under the fairing, both for conspicuity and for the rare nighttime illumination needs. They were independent of the high beam. Then, on an all night ride during one of those 24 hour ride events, I realized that the light from the high beams and the PIAAs were still less than optimal. So, when I got a GS in 2005, I added a pair of Hella FF50s mounted under the beak. Now those were strong -- got folks attention and even persuaded a few dawdlers in the mountains to move over when coming up behind them. Not as wide a triangle as fork mounted lights, but pretty good.

Currently, I have a pair of Clearwater Darlas on the GS, with the amber lens covers. They are outstanding and make the bike quite visible, but need to run at only setting 1 or 2, or they blind the riders I follow. And if I ever need to ride after dark, I can just pull the covers off and they will light up the night. The Ericas on my K1600, added for my post-retirement touring, are even better. Check out the demos out there on YouTube -- pretty spectacular differences.

Good luck with your decision. Lots of good info in this thread.

Randy

Robert Mayrand

I was also against modulator, until I tried one and saw the big différence in driver behavior. I ride about 25 000 miles a year, in all condition: Rain, traffic, commuting, rural road, big city, busy multi lane highway., and since i've put the modulator on about à year and a half ago, i've never been cut by a car in a dangerous way, not once. Before I had the modulator, this must jave happen about 20 times a year. I did'nt change my eay of driving, and i still ride safe like if I was invisible.

Sure, sometimes cars will act surprise or move over rapidly, but this will happen a lot less then people without modulater would like you to believe. The only problem I see is you have to be prepare to be wave by cars on stop and light that eants to talk to you to tell you yourl light is flashing, and when you tell them what it is they want to know more about it.

I would'nt even consider doing commuting in traffic without one anymore,

Mine is the Kisan installed on the high beam of my r1100rt. I also have auxiliary light mounted under the fairing. Better be safe than sorry!

Robert M.

You know what would be a cool option to the HM- a simple flashing led, like they put on red stop lights. Have it flash once every couple seconds. I've seen bicycles with these and they are quite noticable. Seems like it would be easy to do, and maybe not perceived as a law enforcement vehicle. But perceived it would be. One simple hole in my center fairing, or put it where one of those little rubber bumpers are. Wonder if it would be legal. Thoughts? Dave

Edited by Dave P
Michaelr11
You know what would be a cool option to the HM- a simple flashing led, like they put on red stop lights. Have it flash once every couple seconds. I've seen bicycles with these and they are quite noticable. Seems like it would be easy to do, and maybe not perceived as a law enforcement vehicle. But perceived it would be. One simple hole in my center fairing, or put it where one of those little rubber bumpers are. Wonder if it would be legal. Thoughts? Dave

I get that you'd be trying to be less invasive by putting on some kind of smaller device, but that would be illegal. The federal standard is well thought out. The available commercial devices meet the federal standards. Don't worry about some occasional car that mistakes you for a LEO.

The difference in car behavior is noticeable when you run a H-M. They SEE YOU.