IGNORED

What is the purpose of the air box?

ltljohn

Just a random question that popped in to my head. What is the purpose of the air box on a motorcycle engine? Does it control air flow? Is it to keep intake noise down? A curious mind wants to know.

Just a random question that popped in to my head. What is the purpose of the air box on a motorcycle engine? Does it control air flow? Is it to keep intake noise down? A curious mind wants to know.

Afternoon ltljohn

The air box is kind of multifunctional.

It does tune, quiet, & smooth the intake noise as well as remove a lot of the intake droning.

It also smooth's the air flow going into the intake tubes to allow smoother & better directed air flow.

It also acts as a place for a larger air filter element to mount in front of smaller intake tubes.

It also adds a place for the engine crankcase breather to vent oil/pass-by & combustion gas into so

the oil drops out but the pass-by fumes can be picked up then reintroduced into the intakes & burned.

I recently learned of the airbox drain plug. On my R1150R, its on the bottom left of the airbox (toward the rear, to my recollection). A quarter turn to remove the plug, and out came maybe an ounce of old blowby oil. I'd post a pic, but right now about 8000 miles away from the bike.