IGNORED

Front Wheel Removal

Dean Wirsing

Dean Wirsing

07 RT, 37000 miles or so. Having trouble removing the front wheel.

I've got the front tire off the ground. Removed the brake calipers. No problem. Replaced the pads while I have the calipers off.

Also loosened the ABS sensor on the left side.

Loosened the pinch bolt on the axle (right side)

I've got the tool to insert into the axle, but I cannot budge it at all. Will not turn in either direction. Sprayed liberal amounts of PB Blaster, still no movement.

Any suggestions? Did I miss a step?

Thanks,

Dean

Edited by Dean Wirsing
07 RT, 37000 miles or so. Having trouble removing the front wheel.

I've got the front tire off the ground. Removed the brake calipers. No problem. Replaced the pads while I have the calipers off.

Also loosened the ABS sensor on the left side.

Loosened the pinch bolt on the axle (right side)

I've got the tool to insert into the axle, but I cannot budge it at all. Will not turn in either direction. Sprayed liberal amounts of PB Blaster, still no movement.

Any suggestions? Did I miss a step?

Thanks,

Dean

Afternoon Dean

It should come loose, I usually loosen the axle while tire is still on ground as the bike is more stable that way. Lefty loosey.

Dean Wirsing

DR,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Lefty loosey, just like normal, that's really what I thought.

I had it changed last at the local Kawasaki dealer. Maybe they gorilla wrenched it. I'll try to loosen while the tire is on the ground. If that should fail, I'll have them take it off.

Dean

Dean Wirsing

Case closed. The shop was able to get the wheel off.

Brand new tires - bike feels different! The new tires are much rounder than the old ones.

Dean

I'm thinking the Kawi dealer might not have the right torque settings for the RT.

Or they just used an impact gun like a lot of mechanics do. No thinking about it, it's flat rate.

Dean Wirsing

I gave them the torque values both times - for pinch bolt, brake caliper bolts, axle, and the rear wheel lug nuts. Who knows what they did, though!

Dean