IGNORED

Motorcycle Maps for BC and Alberta

It doesn't look like Butler has products covering BC and Alberta. We have some time working our way to the UnRally, and I was thinking about heading that way and getting a little off the beaten track (99-Whistler, Icefields Parkway and Alaska Highway being the track we've beaten).

What do you use for maps in Western Canada? Any suggestions for scenic riding, moto camping, hiking? Other places of interest?

Edited by Twisties
Danny caddyshack Noonan

Be aware of the heavy downpour Tstorms around EDM and CGY in summer (something about seeding). Great for getting a bike clean though.

Jan:

The best source for BC (and I think better than Butler in some ways for Washington) is Destination Highways. They also include campgrounds, motorcycle dealers, traffic avoidances etc.

I could courier mine to you if they can't deliver them in time.

Nothing similar for Alberta, but everything interesting that is paved in Alberta you already know about. Particularly Highwood Pass and the "Cowboy Trail" (AB 22). Maybe consider parts of the International Selkirk Loop.

Mike

Be aware of the heavy downpour Tstorms around EDM and CGY in summer (something about seeding). Great for getting a bike clean though.

Riiigghttt! DAMHIK!

Jan:

The best source for BC (and I think better than Butler in some ways for Washington) is Destination Highways. They also include campgrounds, motorcycle dealers, traffic avoidances etc.

I could courier mine to you if they can't deliver them in time.

Nothing similar for Alberta, but everything interesting that is paved in Alberta you already know about. Particularly Highwood Pass and the "Cowboy Trail" (AB 22). Maybe consider parts of the International Selkirk Loop.

Mike

Highwood Pass and AB22 are on the route.

I had parts of the Selkirk Loop on the route when I still had the misconception that getting a ferry to Bella Coola was possible. Right now on the waiting list for a ferry to Prince Rupert... if no ferry may just ride to one or the other and then back out. Looking more at Prince Rupert as for some reason Gingolx and k'san have struck my fancy.

At this point it is looking like Gingolx to McBride, Jasper, Icefields pkwy, Kananaskis, Big Horns, and in to Palmer Gulch. If you have any camping suggestions, particularly spots with showers and food within walking distance those are welcome. I don't think there is time to courier the book. Departure Saturday.

There are very nice campgrounds at both Jasper (Wapiti & Whistlers) and Banff (Tunnel Mountain & Two Jack) that are accessible through the Parks Canada Campground Reservation website: https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/?gccf=true

Wapiti is 4 km from Jasper, Tunnel Mountain is on the edge of Banff (but has very limited availability next week), you can walk downtown in 20 minutes. Two Jack Lake is another possibility in Banff, but it is about 6km from town. Currently there are no bear warnings at those campgrounds but that can change. The Lake Louise Campground actually has an area for tents with bear-proof fencing but it has no availability next week.

Don't plan on staying anywhere along the Icefields Parkway unless you like cold water and night-time temperatures close to freezing.

In Jasper there are many houses that rent out a room or two in the basement and leave an "Approved Accommodation" sign on the fence out front of the house if the room is available for the night.

Mike Cassidy

There are very nice campgrounds at both Jasper (Wapiti & Whistlers) and Banff (Tunnel Mountain & Two Jack) that are accessible through the Parks Canada Campground Reservation website: https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/?gccf=true

Wapiti is 4 km from Jasper, Tunnel Mountain is on the edge of Banff (but has very limited availability next week), you can walk downtown in 20 minutes. Two Jack Lake is another possibility in Banff, but it is about 6km from town. Currently there are no bear warnings at those campgrounds but that can change. The Lake Louise Campground actually has an area for tents with bear-proof fencing but it has no availability next week.

Don't plan on staying anywhere along the Icefields Parkway unless you like cold water and night-time temperatures close to freezing.

In Jasper there are many houses that rent out a room or two in the basement and leave an "Approved Accommodation" sign on the fence out front of the house if the room is available for the night.

Mike Cassidy

Thanks!

szurszewski
You two passing near Olympia on the way up?

Maybe.... the night of the 14th.

We've got plenty of room for you if you want a place to stay - but, and I didn't think of this until after I made that post, there are our two dogs you've met and one more - so, not exactly an allergen-free zone.