IGNORED

Oil Filter

dave_a

I decided I wanted to change oil in my 1999 R1100R and not wait a week for the Boneyard filter shipment.

Problem is, my local Advance Auto doesn't have any of these available. Not even able to order on line.

Has anyone had any luck finding a quality oil filter at a local auto parts store?

Need a filter brand / part number / Auto parts store name

[Purolator P/N11421460845 N/A

AMSOIL SMF122 N/A

Bosch 3330 N/A

WalMart ST3614 no thanks

Purolator L00241 N/A

AC PF53 - N/A

Thanks/ Dave

I decided I wanted to change oil in my 1999 R1100R and not wait a week for the Boneyard filter shipment.

Problem is, my local Advance Auto doesn't have any of these available. Not even able to order on line.

Has anyone had any luck finding a quality oil filter at a local auto parts store?

AMSOIL SMF122 N/A

Bosch 3330 N/A

WalMart ST3614 no thanks

Purolator L00241 N/A

AC PF53 - N/A

Thanks/ Dave

Morning Dave

Try your local Walmart for the Bosch 3330 or the AC PF53.

Do you have any other auto parts stores near by??

szurszewski

I always used the Mobil filter in my 1100rt. I assume it's the same spec for the R. It does cross to the Bosch listed above.

Mobil-1 M1-102

Here are a few others pulled from another thread here regarding RT filter choices.

Bosch Premium 3330

STP S3614

Fram PH3614

Mobil-1 M1-102

AC Delco PF53S

Valucraft V3614

Mahle OC91 or OC91D. The D version will come with the same crush washers as the BMW box. I order them from Rock Auto and keep them on the shelf.

RAMBLIN RED

NAPA Gold 1348. I used it for close to 100k miles on my 96 RT and I will do the same on the 2000 RT. It seems to be a smidgen longer than the Bosch and that makes it easier to hand tighten first.

Thanks guys, I found a Mobil1 102A at Wallyworld. No Bosch (no further stock at Walmart) or AC Delco PF53. Kind of a half fast Walmart locally.

Any idea why the Mobil1 or Wix are 2 to 3 times more expensive than say the Boneyard's $6 Bosch bulk price? Is there a discernable quality/performance difference? I try to stay away from no name & Fram filters for that reason.

thanks again,

Dave

Thanks guys, I found a Mobil1 102A at Wallyworld. No Bosch (no further stock at Walmart) or AC Delco PF53. Kind of a half fast Walmart locally.

Any idea why the Mobil1 or Wix are 2 to 3 times more expensive than say the Boneyard's $6 Bosch bulk price? Is there a discernable quality/performance difference? I try to stay away from no name & Fram filters for that reason.

thanks again,

Dave

Afternoon Dave

I really can't answer your question about why they cost more but with the Mobil 1 filter someone has to pay for all the advertising costs.

Last I knew the Mobil 1 filter was built by Champion Labs & used a synthetic blend type cellulose media. (this was from a while back so I don't know if it still holds true or not).

Lots of current oil filters are made by Champion Labs (even some cheap ones) so without disassembling & comparing components no way to know if your are getting more for your money on the Mobil 1 or just a smile, a kiss, & pat on the a$$.

The Mobil 1 filters do seem to do pretty good on the filtration tests (sounds good doesn't it?) -- Problem is, most of those tests are run using modern synthetic lower viscosity oils (and why not as that is the main oil used in automobiles today). You buy a car filter & guess what, it is designed to be used on cars with thin energy efficient easy flow motor oils.

My concern has always been in how they do in filtration tests when using thicker oils like Dino 20w50 or even most synthetic 20w50.

All that great synthetic blend type filter media that traps very small finer particles does no good if it is restrictive enough when using 20w50 oils that the filter runs in partial by-pass most of the time at higher RPM's (like BMW boxers use & run at).

Bottom line on using non approved automotive type oil filters is: just because they fit the threads doesn't mean they are the best choice for a thick oil boxer engine even if they are built better or have an up level material anti-drain back valve.

You definitely don't want a cheap filter that uses cellulose filter ends or one that the filter media collapses in during use but on the other hand you don't want a filter that is restrictive when using thicker older spec motor oils so that it operates in partial by-pass most of the time at higher RPM's or with cold oil.

I agree with all you said DR. I go back to the days when Emgo filers would loose epoxy chunks that would get caught in banjo oil fittings and take out the cam in head, rockers, et al, due to poor flow.

One thing I've researched is that many Purolator filters have a great deal more surface area than some competitors. To your point of passing a 0W or a 20W, much less a 50w when hot. My car runs 0w-20.

Lots of variables in filter construction, and a fair bit of opinion vs scientific data out in the interwebs as well.

Thanks/D

AMSOIL SMF122 N/A

Bosch 3330 N/A

WalMart ST3614 no thanks

Purolator L00241 N/A

AC PF53 - N/A

I use a K&N. The number is KN-163. I get mine at O"Riely's auto parts store. But I am sure you could order it from most auto parts stores. It is a common filter. Works well and has a nut on bottom of filter for install / removal. No need for any fancy tool.

Thanks/ Dave

Edited by SAS
  • 5 years later...